Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart: 10-3 win over Clemson ‘electric,’ but offense must improve

SystemSystem Posts: 10,681 admin
edited September 2021 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart: 10-3 win over Clemson ‘electric,’ but offense must improve

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Georgia coach Kirby Smart allowed himself to take in the moment, jumping up on the team bench and swinging his visor wildly toward the crowd in celebration of what could prove to be a keystone victory over Clemson.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 200 ✭✭✭ Junior

Two things that separate this team from Georgia teams of the past 40 years. First, unlike most Georgia teams, the Dawgs did not give up a score in the last 5 mins of the 1st half. Second, despite the lack of production all night, the offense pulled up their socks & closed out the last 5 mins of the game with Savage running by Zeus & strong O-line play. How often do the Dawgs go 3 & out and we then have to hold our breath hoping the defense gets a big turnover or stop.

Tonight reminded me of the 1980-1984 Clemson games. Hard hitting, hard fought, & one of the best rivalries in college football. Great game & win. Go Dawgs!!

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

the year was 2018 Georgia faced Texas a non conference opponent in the Sugar Bowl, Georgia lost by a score of 28-21. Texas finished the year ranked 9th. So the statement where Smart is 5 and 0 against non conference opponents has to be false.

• Options
    ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Doesn't help that 6 of your best pass-catchers aren't playing. Under those circumstances, the offense gets a pass (no pun intended). The line and backs, however, were solid. Hopefully we get at least a couple of those receivers back on the field ASAP; in which case I expect the offense to put more points on the board, accordingly . Go Dawgs!

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So glad Kirby is our coach.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Indeed. And that's not even counting Fitzpatrick, who I didn't see out there... at least not making receptions.

As far as options from what should be our primary targets, we basically had 3/10 out there last night, and two of those didn't seem 100%. I know there are those who will reflexively write it off as excuse making, but you can't convince me that that's not a legitimate hindrance to how an offense functions. The good news is we've got a few weeks against relatively light opponents (I know I know, let's hope the team doesn't look at it that way) for the starters to heal up and the backups to get reps. In that time, they'll be building depth, and there's a good chance we'll start to see this offense peak at the right time.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fitz was out there some, but only targeted once (I think)... made a few nice blocks, but definitely not 100%. The 6 receivers who were out or severely hobbled are truly among our most reliable playmakers. With all due respect, we saw TEs and WRs we normally would only see in blowouts. That'll cripple any passing game, which otherwise torpedos the playbook and production. Kudos to those kids who got playing time for holding their own against mighty Clemson and helping us get a huge W. Hope all the afflicted heal as fast as possible so we can ultimately get our best players on the field together. If/when that happens, watch out. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 378 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited September 2021

I disagree a bit on the calling out of the receivers a. Our receivers were catching the ball but all we threw were short dinks. We threw behind the line over to the running backs and over with no blocking. I don't put this on the receivers that were out there. Maybe we were conservative due to a lack of trust in abilities but I didn't see us even try for anything more than seven in the air and then rely on yards after catch. I wasn't looking for the bomb but the patterns were not made for the long or even mid-range pass. That disappointed me.

Honestly, it looked like the game plan for an early in the year game against Austin Peay, where we didn't want to show anything.

And I did not see a new receiver drop a pass. I'm sure I am missing one here or there but Bowers looked solid and McConkey did his job when targeted. Yes, I want the big guns back but I thought the guys that played did exactly what was asked of them.

Very proud of the defense, although I wanted another blitz after the penalty and 3rd and 17 when clem(p)son hit the long pass but dang! They looked good.

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 378 ✭✭✭✭ Senior