Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

WATCH Dabo Swinney: Clemson lost ‘fistfight’ to Georgia, one play was the difference

SystemSystem Posts: 10,458 admin
edited September 2021 in Article commenting
imageWATCH Dabo Swinney: Clemson lost ‘fistfight’ to Georgia, one play was the difference

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Clemson coach Dabo Swinney handled defeat like a champion after seeing his team emerge bloodied and beaten by an elite Georgia football team.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Classy, sir. He’s stating the truth about the game.

one of the most incredible games I’ve ever attended.

Thank you Defense for bowing your necks and bringing that one home, and thank you to all those seniors who came back!!!

• Options
    Stingray2112Stingray2112 Posts: 132 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited September 2021

One play made the difference? I saw that Georgia defense make a ton of plays. The excuses begin.

• Options
    Billy2131Billy2131 Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

Mike...like u stated for months...line of scrimmage and most importantly the running game of UGA was the difference maker

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Sure Dabo. One play. It had nothing to do with our offense having 7 other plays in which we sacked your QB or the couple first downs our offense fought tooth and nail for to close it out. Loser.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2021

How convienent dumbo swinney forgets his weak OL gave up 7 sacks.. That hurt worse than the 1 play you harp on over, and over. Luckily you play in an even weaker conference, and don't play another SEC foe during the regular season. Your 3* OL probably won't be exposed as such by weaker defenses in the acc..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    dragonslayerdragonslayer Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Way to throw your receiver under the bus, Swinney! Why not say, "You cost us the game!"

• Options
    DJG76DJG76 Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited September 2021

Ok, Dabo, take away that one play and give us back the highly unusual miss by Hot-Pod and we still win 6-3. The Dawg D dominated the Clemson offense all night.

• Options
    DawgSonOfGamecockDawgSonOfGamecock Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

I respectfully disagree with the Dabo disdain. What's he supposed to say? Coach Smart would rightly say the same things had the outcome been reversed. Knowing full well they may get a second chance at us in the CFP, of course he's going to present a narrative that only one play was the difference. And looking at the score, he was right. But yes, it's hard to argue our defense with a retooled secondary outplayed their 11 returning starters. Hell of a game by the Dawgs!

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2021

Thanks for the correction, completely forgot about their yearly in state rival game! But I seriously doubt they see another Defense like UGA's during the regular season. I agree with posts about "Junkyard Dawg" comparisons. Ol' Erk would be D A M N proud of this UGA Defense..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“That one play was the difference.”

Oh, give me a freaking break! That was just ONE of the variables. Did you forget that we missed a FG? Did you forget that we turned a punt return into a free set of downs and a big yardage gain for you? Did you forget that we had 3 more penalties than you. We outran you 3.9 yards per play vs 0.1 and our pass completion was 73% vs your 51%. Your star QB was sacked 7 freaking times.

Look, this game was Georgia's to win. You play this 100 times and we win 75 times.

If you want to whine about that "one play", maybe you also should consider if we had some of our weapons available at WR we could've really dominated you.

You are right that this was indeed a heavyweight fight and Georgia may not have flash, but we sure as heck can win the smash-mouth fights.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Simple. You don't act like the "one play" was the difference in the game. That is a total a-hole thing to say and implies that the reason you lost was because of your QB/Receiver and that you should've won otherwise. It ignores the entire rest of the game. Just leave it that it was a heavy weight brawl and that Georgia out did you.

Smart would never say something so ****. He'd give credit to Clemson if we lost and wouldn't blame it on "one play".

• Options
    DawgSonOfGamecockDawgSonOfGamecock Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

Maybe it’s my Dawgs PTSD kicking in from Ray Goff so often resorting to crediting the other team… not saying that’s never warranted or sportsmanlike to do so, but I’d rather the focus be on *our team* and what *we* can do better. That’s all Dabo was doing, imho.

Look, I love watching Dabo get flustered and losing his s**t on the sidelines as much as any Dawgs fan (much more than I enjoy watching him berate a player in a way that would make their momma cringe), and you won’t find a more avid proponent of the argument, nay the reality, that Clemson’s conference schedule amounts to little more than scrimmages. All I’m saying is I respect how he approached the loss. He gave credit to Georgia, I guess just not enough. Considering they actually won the turnover battle, if we had more turnovers but lost by one score, pretty sure we’d be the ones looking inwardly, agonizing over what we did wrong, rather than bending over backwards to credit the other team and satisfy their fan base. Again, not saying thats never warranted, but where would you want a head coach's focus to be?

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not surprised Dabo would spin this "one play was the difference". The reason Dabo wants to play UGA "every year" is because the state of Georgia is the 3rd richest state in the country for HS football talent. He knows he has an annual cakewalk to the playoffs in the weak ACC IF he can continue to get elite talent from nearby Georgia. This game was ALL about recruiting. Stay on top of UGA and keep the gravy train moving. Dabo has won 2 CFBCG's with 2 Georgia QB's. He was counting on beating UGA and continuing the "1980" narrative. Watching Dabo and Venables on the sideline in the 4th Q , realizing UGA had caught them and that it was apparent to every recruit in Georgia, was absolutely priceless.