Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Kirby Smart: Georgia QB Brock Vandagriff impressing in practice, notes scout teammers

SystemSystem Posts: 11,147 admin
edited September 2021 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart: Georgia QB Brock Vandagriff impressing in practice, notes scout teammers

ATHENS — Kirby Smart reiterated that Carson Beck is Georgia’s No. 2 quarterback on Tuesday night, but it’s clear the head coach has not forgotten about Brock Vandagriff.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Anyone who believes that Vandagriff should've been put in the game at all in the Clemson game is an idiot (I haven't read any, but I'm sure the comments were out there). That being said, no matter the polite talk about how "good" UAB is, it's still a 24 to 29 point spread and BOTH Beck and Vandagriff NEED to get on the field and do more than just hand-offs.

I fear that this game will be a quick, ram-it-down-their-throats type of game where we do vanilla running plays and basically do little other than secure a high percentage win. That would be a waste. We need to be throwing it heavily. We need a dozen players to have massive receiving yards. I'd rather see 5 INTs than 0 INTs but few passes.

• kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2021

100% about throwing the ball. What does everyone think Alabama will do against mercer, hand it off all game? They will go out and try to score 70 just to make sure everyone knows their offense is super prolific. And keep boosting the points per game at the end of the season.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Brock is talented but raw. He is learning quickly that this is not HS football by any stretch. I like this kid. Big, strong am and highly mobile...and I understand he is honing his obvious leadership skills. Give him a year or so. A future UGA great. IMO.

• HunkerDawgHunkerDawg Posts: 76 ✭✭✭ Junior

UAB is not Mercer, but I agree with kirkhilles's point about how we should handle games once we have them in hand. You have to be willing to make mistakes to get better. And you have to use the opportunity to practice being a great offense. My only quabble is that I think we'd benefit more from the extra reps going to JT and the weapons he has available now, than from putting in backups.

• DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pedal to he metal. It's not our offence's job to hold the score down that job belongs to UAB's defense. GO DAWGZ.😎

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The QB room at UGA will be interesting to watch over the next 3 years. UGA will have multiple QB's who can play at a high level. UGA needs to develop a offensive system to showcase one QB while giving significant game playing time to develop next years showcase QB. Without this type of system you lose either Beck or Vandagriff next year. Playing 2 QB's is good for development and stability.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hope JT can get us where we want to go this year, but I’m not as sold as most. Rewatching the Cincy game, he was just above average and his other victories were against Mississippi State, South Carolina, and Mizzou. I believe it will be Brock that truly transforms the offense.

JT’s main responsibility this year will be to manage the offense, protect the football, and take what the opposing D gives him. His skill set is not that of a wide open offense. What I’ve seen is more like Fromm. Brock’s skill set is different and will make the D play 11 on 11 and defend the entire field.

I support JT but I am excited about seeing a truly transformed Dawg offense under Brock’s leadership!

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2021

I have to agree with you. I'm still waiting on JT to show me more. I said in another post recently I need to see better decision making, mobility, and accuracy. He threw 1 interception against Clemson and almost threw another one towards the end of the game into double coverage in the end zone. Yes, Fromm with maybe a bit better arm.

After watching Bryce Young play Saturday against Miami, I see why Saban recruited him. He's got the mobility, intuition, accuracy, and feel for the game much better than Daniels does at this point. And calm as a cucumber for starting his first game. I think one of the announcers said at one point he thought Young had eyes in the back of his head, because he was able to feel the pressure before it ever got to him. I'm hoping either Beck or Vandagriff will be similar. I like Vandagriff's toughness and dual threat ability. JT is smart, but to me he overanalyzes things.

Maybe I will change my opinion of Daniels over the next month. I expect us to be able to air it out VERTICALLY considerably more than we did against Clemson.