Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Stetson Bennett ‘knew he had to play well’ for Georgia football; here’s how he did it

SystemSystem Posts: 10,681 admin
edited September 2021 in Article commenting
imageStetson Bennett ‘knew he had to play well’ for Georgia football; here’s how he did it

ATHENS — Most fans were probably surprised when Stetson Bennett was announced as the starting quarterback. A few were upset, as they booed when the senior quarterback was announced as the starting quarterback in Sanford Stadium on Saturday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Way to go, Stetson! You looked like Tom Brady out there today! Keep it going, Dawgs!!!!!

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Really proud of SBIV and especially how the Bulldogs rallied together as a team. I get CKS logic to start experience with a young WR crew. But anyone who said they thought SBIV would be 5/5 for 280 yds and 4 TD's at one point is either lying through their teeth or wasting their time commenting on Dawgnation when they should be in Vegas. So what is more important? lighting up the scoreboard passing the ball for the benefit of recruiting or getting Carson Beck ready for more serious competition should he be needed?

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

That’s a pretty tough question to answer. The way the lines played, JT could have taken the snaps or Beck could’ve had an early shot at working out his jitters. As it worked out, Bennett had been waiting for his shoot to remind us all why we rallied behind him a year ago.

Do I think we could’ve still covered the predictions? Sure.

Am I happy we did it overwhelmingly and out of left field? Yessir.

Did I doubt IV could do it when M.G. started speculating? No.

Was I annoyed by MG’s speculation, because it had no foundation considering what had been actually been offered? You bet your bottom, Bucko.

It doesn’t matter that MG’s speculation proved true; he was making guesses and calling it news. That’s poor publication any day of the week.

Either way, good for SB IV, good for our receivers, and good for UGA!!!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2021

Interesting pearl: In preparation for the 2018 Rose Bowl we had a young walk-on (Scout Team) QB imitate Baker Mayfield in practices. After our big win we had defensive players say the walk-on QB was harder to play against than the actual Heisman Trophy winner. That freshman walk-on was Stetson Bennett. I’m not implying he’s as good as Mayfield, but he’s pretty darn talented. Last year he had us ahead of one of the best Bama teams 24-20 before our entire team collapsed in Tuscaloosa. He also had us ahead of Florida 14-0 before getting injured. Focusing on his stats after the injury is ridiculous and unfair. Stetson is a winner and I’m impressed with the coaching decision to start him.

• Options
    KeithDogKeithDog Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

😮

Here we go again. Please understand we will lose all our young QB to the transfer portal. Why stay here? You will never get developed into a good QB when our head coach refuses to play you. Bennett had a good game sure. Nut he will not ever lead UGA to the promise land and we have young talented QB who should have started. I'm sick of Smarts lack of understanding that he is to loyal to his pet players. We kept Formm and Fields went on to take Ohio State to the next level. Smart needs to stop selecting to play his pet's.

• Options
    KeithDogKeithDog Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

OMG Tom Brady. Why don't you go back and look at last year? Alabama made your "Tom Brady" and Smart look like fools!! Every time I see Bennett take a snap I wonder why not let our young much more talented young QB play?

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

I remember late last season, maybe the bowl game, when JT's helmet came off, and he had to come off the field for a play. The camera showed a scramble on the sideline, then Bennentt strapping his helmet on and trotting out on the field for the play, which was, I'm pretty sure 3rd and 11. I remember thinking he should have thrown a couple passes before going out on a passing down, but he didn't. Anyway, he took the snap in the shotgun and threw a pass right in the gut 12+ yards to a receiver for a first down, and trotted back off the field as JT came back on. I guess it was nothing, to the Mailman.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's probably best if I don't say what I think about the fans booing Stetson before he even took the first snap Saturday. Just know it's not appropriate for this forum.

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

Alabama made your "Tom Brady" and Smart look like fools!!  - KeithDog

So who DID look like Brady vs Alabama 15-0 last season? Stetson had a halftime lead in Tuscaloosa, and I don't think he played defense. I think you had that wrong. Bennentt made you look like a fool yesterday.

• Options
    PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don’t know what part of the stadium you were in when Bennett was announced as “probable” starter, but there were absolutely NO “boos” within earshot distance of section 123. As as matter of fact, his being called out by the stadium announcer as probable starter went mostly unnoticed to the entire stadium.

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If Kirby is not confident enough in Beck to beat UAB, then the kid should walk. Heck, they could have played with 10 and direct snapped to the backs all day and won by 20.