Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Kirby Smart: ‘Not buying the hype ... the verdict is out’ on Georgia football team

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited September 2021 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart: ‘Not buying the hype ... the verdict is out’ on Georgia football team

ATHENS — Kirby Smart has built his share of highly ranked defenses, this season’s Georgia group believed to be among the best of them.

Read the full story here

Comments

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I totally agree. I'm not worried about the O-line giving up many sacks. If they can establish a dependable run game, get a good push when run blocking, GA will cover the 18.5 spread. If they can't, it could turn into a close game.

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Excellent comments here from my fellow Dawgs fans ! As I said in a much earlier post, I’m not worried about this game but I am very concerned. Big Dan Pittman has them fired up and snorting and they’d dearly love to pull the upset. But Kirby is pumping our beloved Dawgs up and even challenging the Dawgs fans to be very loud and proud !! I do think that the Dawgs will ultimately get the W. But If the Dawgs win by two TDs and one FG I’d take that and be very satisfied. I think Some Dawgs fans may be getting a little to carried away by saying we will beat them by 28-32 points !! Now if that were to happen I’d be Super Happy !! But I sure don’t expect it. Ark is a for real team. If our Dawgs beat them by what I said or maybe even an additional FG ( Two TDs & Two FGs) that would be a very very respectable score margin and I think would make the majority of National media sit up and notice !! Kirby and the Dawgs need to floor the gas pedal and Keep it there from start to finish !! Don’t give Ark even a ray of hope, because I believe Big Dan will challenge his team to Fully compete for the entire game. Ark will give some SEC teams fits this year they are pretty good. ***** Truthfully the margin of score is not nearly as important as just getting the W though. Keep getting the W’s every week no one will care what the score was in this particular game at the end of the season. Get the W !! Go Dawgs !!

I was sure hoping that big Darnell W. would be back and at least some close to full health. Coupled with big Fitz the two could sure help our O line spring the run game. And we are well aware of what he can do catching the ball. Maybe we’ll get a very pleasant surprise and he will be able to play. Even if he’s just a decoy the opposing D has to account for him. They can’t afford not to. So let’s hope he’ll be back even if limited. We need all hands on deck for this one !! Go Dawgs !!

• BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2021

There was a time when the little known metric of pass efficiency defense was the #1 predictor of championship winners. In the case of this year's team and many others before it, the pass rush has a lot to do with why we're so efficient against the pass.

• David1David1 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m sure it wasn’t much higher, but I wonder what the rankings of those offenses were BEFORE we played them.

• Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Isn't it amazing how just one word can change the intent/meaning of a statement.

Mike G. : "...the verdict is out"

Coach Smart: "the verdict is STILL out." Meaning that Coach Kirby is continually trying to motivate/improve his players on defense to be the best they can be with the best effort they can give and will never let them rest on their laurels.

I don't think that an opposing offense can be content with what they have seen from our defense as far as coming up with a scheme to defeat us.

Coach Smart and Coach Lanning will have our boys playing with effort and heart and Arkansas will feel what the real "verdict" is!!

Go Dawgs!

• Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I’m sick of this Georgia’s played nobody narrative. We’ve dominated who we’ve played. I mean hell by this logic you can throw Arkansas #20 in the nation offense to the curb. After all rice, Texas and Ga southern defenses are all ranked in the top 20 worst in the country.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

With Kirby, the verdict is going to remain out until the last second is off the clock in the NC game.

At the other end of the spectrum, I read a story about the Gators and Coach Clown said he was pleased with the way Grantham puts his players in the best position to be successful. Grantham’s defense is twelfth in the league in total defense. Their just ahead of Vandy and a train wreck of a TN team.

• PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Media now headlining JT Daniels lap injury. Arkansas all ears. Arky's QB CJ Jefferson hurt his knee in the Aggies game. Came back to play but....? Lots of questions...both sides. If you watched those games, Jefferson is an effective RPO QB. It did get him hurt as he left the pocket on that one play. JT too left the pocket but far less often...he didn't have to...last outing. Now Bennett is a scrambler, so there is that difference if UGA needs him. He is not averse to heading for the house on short yardage or setting up a play action pass. The OL knows the gravity of this game. I believe they will be up for the challenge...protect the QB and block for the RBs. That accomplished and the game is UGA's.

• Trey33Trey33 Posts: 133 ✭✭✭ Junior

We are the reason those teams are ranked so low

Oops !!! Thx Bro !! Hope Sam didn’t mind being Dan for a while lol !! 😀

• tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It sure isn't the Dawgs fault that Clemson has turned into a pumpkin instead of a chariot. When the Dawgs played them the so called experts had them ranked #03 in the nation.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What about the Hurricans???? Way over-rated.