Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Dawgs just keep rolling, beating another Top 10 ‘nobody’

SystemSystem Posts: 10,473 admin
edited October 2021 in Article commenting
imageDawgs just keep rolling, beating another Top 10 ‘nobody’

What did we really see Saturday, as the Dawgs shut out one of the hottest teams in college football by a 37-0 score?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great read as always, Bill!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good one, Bill AMEN!

• Options
    DelServDawgDelServDawg Posts: 6 ✭ Freshman

Hi Bill, I just love your columns and wish you commented everyday. Because you are an alumnus, your viewpoint is distinctly different. You were in the trenches with the rest of us and your comments include rem​i​nisces of yesterdays. Keep up the good work and write more often, if they'll let you. DelServ Dawg, B.S. 1975, M.A. 1994.

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

The consecutive shutouts are impressive.

The fact that neither Vandy nor Arkansas even made it into the red zone is mind-boggling.

(Arkansas did scrimmage from Georgia’s 20 yard-line once).

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2021

Another good one, Bill.

I loved how our offensive line finally looked to be coming into its own. I loved using some "fullbacks." I loved our defense. I loved the special teams touchdown. I loved the whole dãmn game.

Next weekend we have another team to beat or be beaten by. I take nothing for granted, but Kirby doesn't seem to either. When Kirby came on board most of us wanted to see our Georgia team learn to always show up and be competitive. Kudos to Kirby for accomplishing that. Other teams are up and down, and on and off, but we seem to be consistently ready to play. No longer do the Dawgs occasionally fail to get off the bus.

Our players seem to be having as good a time as we are.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    JimmyBobJimmyBob Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

Its always nice to read an article written by someone who takes professional pride in their work. A refreshing change from the rest of the Dawgnation “writers.”

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"That’s in contrast, of course, to Florida, which lost its only Top 10 matchup so far, but walked away with praise aplenty. Of course, now that the Gators have been beaten by Kentucky, will their previous Top 10 ranking be considered an aberration?"

Not to mention Florida had lost their final 3 games of the 2020 season. They are now 1 - 5 against their last 6 Power-5 teams. Kirby wouldn't be getting a pass if that was reversed. I bet Mullen will.

It's funny, we keep hearing how Mullen just needs more talent. He won with McElwain's players. The more Mullen's players replace McElwain's, the less it seems that Mullen wins?

• Options
    adcdadcd Posts: 16 ✭ Freshman

Spot on article and assessment. Hopefully this will silence the Bennett naysayers and their insipid comments about him. Ditto to those who malign Daniels, too.

• Options
    BoydCrowderBoydCrowder Posts: 73 ✭✭✭ Junior

Speaking of Gameday, I liked the fact that they broke away from the predictions so that they could catch the last of the national anthem. It was starting to look a little awkward with everyone in the background turned towards the flag, saluting, taking hats off, etc., and the Gameday crew was starting to look a little hesitant. ESPN definitely made the right call, and the Redcoat Band sounded great! (as always.)

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Another excellent article Bill!

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 277 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Goes without saying (but we will anyway) that your the BEST DAWG writer we have! Thanks, Bill, for your remembrance of that 1976 Alabama game at Sanford. To beat the rightfully esteemed legend Bear Bryant 21-0 was one of my most memorable moments at Sanford. I dearly hope that we can perform the same treatment to his equally rightfully esteemed counterpart, Nick Saban, but this time, not once but twice.

• Options
    DawgSonOfGamecockDawgSonOfGamecock Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

Great article Bill, as always. I particularly liked your observations about the Redcoat band bookending the telecast. I only caught the last one at the end of the telecast, and I have to admit I got a little choked up hearing the Battle Hymn right as they were signing off, and watching Dean and Davis sign autographs before hurrying into the locker room. It was one of those moments when I couldn't help but dare to think that this might be a special season for the Dawgs. It ultimately only matters that we have a special ending to a season and not a first 5 games, but still, something feels different.

HOWEVER, them Tigers are riding high after a solid win at LSU, and they'll be pumped and focused on bringing all of us back down to earth. Take care of business Dawgs and beat Aubu'n!!!

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I distinctly remember sitting on the tracks as a teenager during that 21-0 win against Bama..

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just a hearty thank you for sharing your contuing story as a DGD!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No one can deny that 37-0 vs #8 was pretty impressive. UGA seems to be getting better with experience. As for whether Clemson was a good team at the start of the season......they returned 10 starters on a D that made the playoffs. Any trouble that they have had since game 1 is because UGA broke them. Clemson was not used to the level of intensity and talent they experienced in game 1. Their house of cards illusion was shattered by big boy football. I don't think Dabo has the skills necessary to rally an inferiorly talented group that doesn't have a top 3 QB.

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2021

Greatest game I ever saw the Dawgs play!

It was my first year at UGA. The alums started coming into town on Wednesday. By Friday, Milledge was a parking lot. Impassable. Bear had his boys staying in town and crowds of UGA fans stood outside screaming all night Friday night while the bell was ringing. The tracks started filling up on Wednesday and were full by Friday.10,000 strong by Saturday. And the game…! 1:00 kickoff like they all were back then. Imagine how Bear’s boys felt after being kept up all night. And the score-My, my, 21-0! And if I believe it was the first time the Bear had ever been shut out. Least that is how I like to remember it.

I still have the Atlanta paper from that day!

Truly memorable! Thanks for the reminder, Bill!

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm 73 years old, and that was a complete game as any that I have seen UGA play. Offense with a substitute QB, elite. Defense elite. Special teams elite. Band elite. Last but not least, the fans and them showing up for a noon kickoff, elite.