Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football report card: Dawgs answer Kirby Smart’s call in 37-0 win

SystemSystem Posts: 10,667 admin
edited October 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football report card: Dawgs answer Kirby Smart’s call in 37-0 win

ATHENS — Georgia coach Kirby Smart spent the week challenging everyone — the fans, the media and most importantly his team.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2021

Agree with all the grades except RBs. I'd give them at least a B+. We gained 273 yards on the ground, and although the OL has a lot to do with that there were some pretty big chunk plays that several RBs got right up the middle, earning every yard. Cook also had some pretty nice tackle-breaking runs. And Zeus's sheer effort on that off-balance run into the end zone in the 2nd half was a thing of beauty! I cringed as I watched it just thinking about his knee ACL surgeries.

Stetson did what he needed to do in order to manage the game and not get into trouble. The running game was very efficient, but that's not really our identity. You do take what the defense gives you, and it worked against Arky. However, that strategy may not work against Auburn or a stout Kentucky defense. I'm expecting us to have to pass the ball more going forward. Even though Bennett has a decent arm, his accuracy and decision making are inconsistent. Hoping we get JT back 100% at least by the time we play Florida.

GO DAWGS!!

• Options
    97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 350 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It really feels like we were resting up and trying to keep receivers healthy against a very physical defense. When McConkey was slow getting up early on I was a bit worried, but it was good to see him bounce back. I wouldn't be surprised to see Bennett get the start again vs. Auburn and to see another run-heavy scheme. It feels like we're reining in in the mid-stretch of the season in preparation for a sprint at the finish.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Surprised Beck didn’t get snaps? As far as this year goes we have two options to get where we want to go: JT doing his thing and, if needed, Stetson managing the offense to wins which is all that matters. Beck reduces the offense to A&M which is in shambles because they are having to play a bad backup QB.

Kirby probably didn’t give Beck snaps because he wanted to preserve the shutout for the defense.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great Comments here thus far . I will say right up front our Dawgs greatly surpassed my best expectations vs Ark !! Not that I don’t believe in them, I really do. But I thought the Razorbacks would be much tougher. Going into the game I had in my mind the Dawgs winning by 24-3 or 28-7. Never did I imagine that high of a score and a shut out to boot !! Very, Very Proud of our Dawgs !! Now on to Auburn. Just a few items of my opinion. Auburn almost from the start made LSU one dimensional, almost exclusively having to pass the ball with the exception of the LSU QB running the ball out of desperation in most cases. I don’t see Auburn shutting down our run game. Bo Nix scrambled all over the place keeping plays alive. I don’t think he will be As Successful against our I believe much faster D. That’s not to say he won’t have some success, but I believe our D is faster and I also believe that they will wrap up better on tackles. STILL because we are playing them in Their house I think it will be a fairly tough game. But I believe the Dawgs will come away with a solid W. I have no clue as to score predictions. Kentucky is a pretty tough team to. The road doesn’t get any easier. The mud lizards will give us their best game of the season, they usually do. But if our beloved Dawgs will Stay Focused, take one game at a time, don’t get caught looking ahead, play with the Brotherly Love they have for one another, in unity, no more injuries please, I’m seeing a bright (like shiny golden bright) future in front of this Dawgs team and Dawg Nation !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bennett is mobile..great 9-yd run. He is still forcing passes...right in the midst of heavy traffic? Nearly picked. But he does get the job done. I caught my breath a few times...but he is improving. Yes, Todd Monken likes his mobility. The rest I pretty much agree with regarding grades....except RBs. They burst through holes made by a much improved OL! Kendall Milton makes his own holes...lol. He has great potential. I gave their effort a B+. Zeus ran with real heart! Cook is fast improving in my estimation. He is quick and versatile.

My faves were the DL and OL....what a solid effort! They literally pushed the Arky lines around all day. I recall one where the OL drove the Arky boys backward to gain an additional 5 yards+ on the run. I actually applauded. Amazing A+ effort. I saw a new dimension to UGA football yesterday. Very pleased. What a win!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2021

Haha, yeah when McConkey was slow to get up I literally yelled "oh come on!" from my couch.

As much as I dislike the Barn, I was kind of glad to see them get the win last night. Whether they won or lost, they'd still be the same team next week, with their fans being just as boisterous and eager to see them knock us off, and I want this one to be recognized by the CFB world as the big game that it is. Plus, it'll be fun to pop their balloon. I do think it's going to be a challenging task. But I have every faith that these coaches and players will be up to it. I think we can beat them with Bennett, as long as he "shows up" and makes good decisions.

I was feeling the same way about Florida, wanting them to win the rest of their games until we dispatch them. But watching them lose to Kentucky was a pretty nice consolation prize.

• Options
    ATDATD Posts: 262 ✭✭✭ Junior

Carson Beck appears to persona non grata with absolutely no future as QB at UGA. I've heard some rumors, as most of you likely have, about Kirby's displeasure with him announcing his start versus SC before Kirby released the news. Not sure if that's true but the fact that Beck got ZERO snaps in a 37-0 drubbing of the Hawgs tells me all I need to know. He'll be transferring out at the end of the season IMHO. That's my hot take on this subject.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mike Griffin pushing his Milton agenda again. "Highest upside"? He had a nice run up the middle and took a pounding for it. That is his style. Love his tough running . But that equates to him missing 40% of games last year and already missing games this year. If you want to ensure Milton is healthy for when you really need him you need to manage his pitch count. The 15 yd TD run by ZWhite was a thing of beauty. As an all purpose back White has the highest upside. As a receiver and break away back Cook has the highest upside. As a physical battering ram Milton has the highest upside. SWEET catch by McIntosh yesterday.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don't necessarily agree with all the grades, but don't disagree enough to debate them. I will say, judging by the looks of the coaches faces, that they don't really believe the punt team deserved all of those penalties. I think they (the coaches) think it was just that particular officiating crew. I don't think it's going to be an ongoing issue. As for Kearis Jackson, I just think he's a shell of the player he was. He seems to be able to only run in a straight line and even then, he lacks explosiveness or quickness. I hope he gets it back, but I don't think it's going to happen this year. I feel the same way about Blaylock. I don't think he'll play at all this year whether it's his knee or hamstring or something else. And finally, I don't know if anyone else noticed, but Darnell Washington was absolutely dominating as a blocker. He was knocking guys five yards back -- big guys. So glad he's back. Go Dawgs!