Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

National media touts Georgia defense as college football’s top unit halfway through 2021 season

SystemSystem Posts: 10,473 admin
edited October 2021 in Article commenting
imageNational media touts Georgia defense as college football’s top unit halfway through 2021 season

Georgia football has earned a lot of praise this season due to its defense.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2021

“That Georgia has gotten this far without really needing a passing game is incredible, but we still don’t know what will happen when the Dawgs actually have to complete a pass in a close game"...absolutely. So far just call it a combination of luck, skill from the players, and a stifling defense.

That is my biggest wonder and concern. Can we play a top opponent and come from behind having to use our passing game? What if our run game is stuffed and we have to rely on the pass to win?

We've yet to really open up things and run a full-tilt Monken offense against any competitive opponent thus far this season.

Will we have to do so against the Wildcats or the Gators?

• Options
    SmokeOnTheWaterSmokeOnTheWater Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore

"Because of this, ESPN’s Bill Connelly does wonder what this offense will look like when it is required to be great.

“That Georgia has gotten this far without really needing a passing game is incredible, but we still don’t know what will happen when the Dawgs actually have to complete a pass in a close game,” Connelly said."

ARE YOU SERIOUSLY REPOSTING THIS IDIOTS GARBAGE? I seriously doubt he has watched a UGA game. And you most likely have not either if you give this quote reposting time in your article. Are you a writer with any original ideas that are not negative about UGA???

• Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

A lot of the national critics are reaching for reasons to doubt UGA. I think we've seen enough early in the games, when the game is technically "close," to know this team is fully capable of slinging the ball around when necessary. This team has virtually gone to run-the-clock-out mode by the 2nd or 3rd quarter, and the fact that teams know they are doing that and still can't stop the run says a lot about how good this offense is. To me, the biggest concern would be injuries to the main cogs in the front seven. I've never been as concerned this season as I was when Dean cramped up early in the game vs Arkansas. There are key players who need to stay healthy. Otherwise, the defense and offense complement each other better than any I've seen since 2002, 2007, 2012, and most recently 2017. The jury is still out if we will finish the season thinking that...but I like what I see! Go Dawgs!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2021

@SmokeOnTheWater...Well, I know your post is towards Connor, BUT I didn't need Connelly to say this because I already had been thinking this almost weekly. And yes, I watch all the games and am a rabid fan and alum. It's a valid question or concern however you want to look at it. Our passing numbers aren't near to where they would be if we had a healthy group of wide receivers and a healthy JT Daniels. We're really not running the offense the way we thought we would be doing it initially. And our defense is playing even better than almost anyone would have anticipated.

We haven't had to play from behind in ANY game thus far this season (even against Clemson).

Now I'm not saying we will ever have to play from behind in a game this season if our defense keeps shutting out opponents. Our offense has had the luxury of a stifling defense that is the best in the nation. And you take what the defense gives you depending on who you play. Our running game has been good & pretty efficient for the most part, and we haven't been forced to throw the ball. But with the increasing number of injuries and tougher competition in the wings, can we keep winning the same way we are currently or if we have to pivot to more passing will we be successful with the guys we have on the field? I think it's a valid question.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Let's see how our defense looks at the end of the season.

These pundits and writers are all about the clickbait. There is within their articles just about no actual news. They like to quote each other and recycle old news. It's not their fault of course as they are required to write something.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Man, I pray our guys remain focused and hungry every single day! They have a great thing going now, stay focused and not mess this up! Keep GATA Dawgs! One team at a Time! Eat, Big Dawg! Eat!

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    SmokeOnTheWaterSmokeOnTheWater Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore

I understand your viewpoint and you do a much better job of articulating the concern, if there is any concern. Personally, what I have seen is that we can throw the ball all over the field but do not do so when we can grind a team down. Stetson and JTD have shown that they can make all of the throws. I think the biggest concern for Stetson was his decision making. HE is light years better this year but will we see the old Stetson rear its **** head under pressure? I think that he has grown past that through coaching. JTD seems to play his best under duress. So, based on what we have seen when we have passed and what we have seen from the QB's...this is a non-issue.

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Since the D is the most impressive unit in college football, shouldn’t Jordan Davis be considered a finalist for the Heisman? I would say he is the most impactful player in the sport this year.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

2021 all SEC First Team Defense.

DL: Jordan Davis, Georgia

DL:Phidarian Mathis, Alabama

DL:Kingsley Enagbare, South Carolina

*DL:Zachary Carter, Florida

*DL: DeMarvin Leal, Texas A&M

LB: Henry To'o To'o, Alabama

LB: Christian Harris, Alabama

LB: Will Anderson Jr., Alabama

DB: Derek Stingley Jr., LSU

DB: Josh Jobe, Alabama

DB:Malachi Moore, Alabama

DB: Kaiir Elam, Florida

The Media isn't overlooking Georgia any more!

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

So, we have the clawing Wildcats, this Saturday, then a day off the following Saturday, before facing the chomping Gators. The next two opponents will be the toughest UGA has had to face this season. One game at a time is the only way to be focused to get through the gauntlet of the SEC. Similar to a rodeo, there has never been a horse that can't be rode, and a rider that can't be throwed, in college football on any given Saturday any team can be beaten, even if you are ranked #1, just ask Alabama. Go DAWGS!