Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football midseason report card: Bulldogs aced challenges, graded on elite curve

SystemSystem Posts: 10,433 admin
edited October 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football midseason report card: Bulldogs aced challenges, graded on elite curve

Georgia football hit the midway point of the season where many thought the Bulldogs would be record-wise, but the No. 1 ranking might have caught some off guard.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't see how you could give the receiving corps a B-. The expected stars aren't there because of injury, but the new freshmen are doing a great job and giving us the long ball even from Bennett who is doing a much better job than expected. GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2021

Good synopsis Mike. In general, I'd agree with your grades except for receivers (B+) and offer a couple of observations.

I think the O-line has played better than I thought they would at the beginning of the season. As you inferred, the run game has been efficient and effective enough to get the job done and mostly allow Stet time to make throws when he has to do so.

Thus far our effective pass rush has helped keep the inexperienced secondary from getting into trouble, but that rush mostly was absent against KY allowing Nevis too much time to throw strikes downfield to his receivers. We've got to have that disruptive pass rush back against FL as well be able to contain the running ability of both QBs Jones or Richardson.

Other than a very conservative (and perplexing) first half against KY last week, Monken and Smart seem to be doing a great job mixing up the offense as needed as we work through injuries and give new players opportunities to show their stuff. Overall, any fan has got to be happy with the way the season has progressed thus far - despite all the injuries. Resilience is truly the word for this team. Gotta love it!

GO DAWGS!!

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ranked #1 in the country, dominated every team so far in the sec and has really on given up 2 TDs, not counting 2 in garbage time. This article is a head scratcher with some of the grades based on where we are now. The only grade I see that is spot on is for the special teams.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I understand adjusting the offense to the opposition’s defense especially with our receiver and QB injuries. But, as we get healthy, I hope we will make defenses adjust to our offense. Bama, Clemson, and LSU rode elite offenses to championships. As Kirby says,”Either you’re elite or you’re not.” Our offense has the talent to be elite when healthy. As we get healthy, Kirby needs to realize that keeping the offense in adequate mode is the opposite of the message he’s been preaching this year. Allow all aspects of the game to be elite and make the defenses adjust to us!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

THe coaches and players will all tell you they can get better in certain areas. THese are just grades by a pundit. THey are subjective and that's OK, why take offense? THey are trying to look at things objectively. Maybe we should too. But to assume that every position group should get an A+ is like a parent quibbling over why their Little Johnny didn't get A+ that he only got an A. LOL!

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It's a pity our offense is so weak, averaging only about 38 points a game. I'm sure that the low qb rating is justified because sometimes it takes most of a quarter for them to direct us to a sizable lead (yes, ahead of Kentucky by 14-7 is a sizable lead in the first half because of the way they have played us in recent years). I guess if the qbs threw interceptions so we could be behind would be more impressive in leading a "comeback", than merely taking care of the ball and getting us way ahead.

The offense deserves an "A" and the defense deserves an "A+". Quarterback also deserves an "A". Running backs are getting the job done via committee, no one is getting anywhere close to the number of carries that Gurley, Chubb, Michel or D'Andre got. If they were playing today, their carries would be significantly reduced.

Get real, Mike!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How can you properly grade UGA in some areas with so many injuries. Do you benchmark receivers against Pickens stats? The opponents are different as well. I have not seen a UGA receiver corps try as hard as present. Young players stepping up spectacularly...B-? Personally ....B+. Touching A-. You can't measure current RBs against former RB standouts.....Chubb, Michel and Smith. Kirby is rotating backs...and pretty well I might add. You grade present players.on their own merit...these backs are improving every week. Zamir has come back strongly from injury. Cook is a bullet when he breaks free. Milton was a workhorse until this past week but received another practice injury. I am proud of the backs improvement....especially now that the OL has offered better run opportunities...B+. I will stop there.

• Options

In defense of Mike, he states in the headline “graded on elite curve.” Since Kirby has been admonishing the troops to be “elite”, Kirby’s grades would be more in line with Mike, void of emotion, than what I am reading from the commenters. Based on “elite” status, the DL is the only position group deserving of an A+ and the rest of the groups graded down respectively.

Yes, Chubb, Michel, and Swift would have graded out as elite; however, the receiver group at that time would be a stretch at C+.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah Shoot.....saw that as I reread the headline. Good point. I stand with what I wrote however.

• Options

As well you should! Until we are paid $6 mil per to be objective, it is the emotional highs and lows that come with every snap that makes us fans! Enjoy your comments!

• Options

Off subject, but with Kansas shutting out OU in the first half, is it safe for the national press “experts” to stop with the Caleb Williams for Heisman nonsense?

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Mike, is there any guidance about how things might shake out between Coaches Muschamp and Scott? Muschamp has handled the on field role well. Will that remain? Or will he be back in the booth?

• Options

That’s like a couple of nice plays against Vandy making a QB a Heisman hopeful.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate