Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia-Florida game to remain in Jacksonville through 2025

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited October 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia-Florida game to remain in Jacksonville through 2025

Georgia football and Florida will continue their annual rivalry game in Jacksonville through 2025.

Read the full story here

Comments

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Why doesn't UGA and Florida push for a rules change. Allow the home team to use the game in Jacksonville just as they would in Athens or Gainesville. Allow the home team to entertain recruits in Jacksonville.

I think the Neutral site Georgia-Florida game in Jacksonville would be a great recruiting tool for both teams.

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The story definitely should’ve been assigned to Mike. Who is in charge this type of thing?

• MACDAWGMACDAWG Posts: 255 ✭✭✭ Junior

Not so happy about this. Kirby doesn't want it there, so neither do I. Jacksonville doesn't treat the dawgs well either. Jacksonville jacks their prices up, sky high, and Fla fans don't spend any time/money there, we do...or used to. UF fans drive in and drive home. We spend all the money there, but not me. I've started staying in south Ga and refuse to support Jacksonville and UF. Let's face it, Steve Spurrier ruined UF's future in this game declaring it was essentially a home game (saying it's the gator bowl stadium blah blah) for UF. What better way (Spurrier's comments) to declare to UGA that this game should be switched, so that, at least, there is no advantage to either team. I have to wonder, why do we stay in this contract after the blatant comment by Spurrier so many years ago? It's clear that it's an advantage to UF. We should switch the game to home and home. I do love beating their a** on their home field though. hahahaha

• David1David1 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with SmartsTheMan. Push for a rule change to allow recruiting for the designated home team, then the lost recruiting weekend every other year debate will be over.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A few points for clarification. As others have stated, the reason neither Florida or Georgia can treat Jacksonville as if it's Athens or Gainesville is because it's simply not Athens or Gainesville. So recruits can't see the athletic and school facilities, visit with professors, experience the environment of the city where they'll spend 90 percent of their time for the next few years, or feel what it's like when 95 percent of the fans are cheering for you instead of just 50 percent. There's way more to a recruiting visit than just getting a kid a ticket to the game.

Also, Jacksonville treats the University of Georgia quite well. I don't know what the financial payout is, but I know it's A LOT more than either school would receive if they hosted the game in their respective cities. And that, my fellow Dawg fans, is the bottom line, not what Kirby Smart wants. As much as we love Kirby, at the end of the day, he is an EMPLOYEE -- well paid, but an employee nonetheless -- of some very rich people and like most of us, he does what his bosses tell him to do. So now that we know the game will be in Jacksonville through at least 2025, can we please give this debate a rest for a couple of years and concentrate on the game itself? Go Dawgs!

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hope CKS can get this changed ASAP. Pumping a lot of money into Florida than could really benefit Athens or Atlanta. The additional recruiting weekend every other year is something CKS will do more with than anybody. You notice where the Iron and Egg bowl games are played right?

• Billy2131Billy2131 Posts: 153 ✭✭✭ Junior

Home and home starting in 2026 is going to be awesome!

• ScoreCheckScoreCheck Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Home-n-Home!!!!

• VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A couple of things here:

1) there’s no way jax pays UGA more than the school AND the city would bring in for a home and home series.

2) before this game I am extremely glad our head coach is focused on the game and not on a decision made by a bunch of suits.

imho, I say beat the gators so bad and consistently in that stadium that Florida then starts petitioning for home and home.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What we need to do is get the NCAA to allow us to entertain recruits there. The game is to special to get rid of. Plus, our recruiting rankings don't seem to be to hindered by it as it stands.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All about the money as always.

"If the game was home-and-home, Georgia would take away $2.78 million less every two years in ticket revenue if the game moved from Jacksonville under current pricing.

This year, both schools will receive $400,000 from the city because capacity will be reduced to 76,700 without temporary seating in one end of the stadium and more premium seating will be added, according to the Florida Times-Union."

There's no reason to talk about it other than to ask "Where's the $$$ going for Georgia" and find out whether that's really what's "best" for the program.

• RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 174 ✭✭✭ Junior

And the business in Athens that support the University of Georgia throw their hands up in the air again.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2021

I don't understand this thinking about recruiting around the game in Jacksonville. As someone pointed out below, those visits are about so much more than watching the game, especially when half the crowd is there to support your biggest rival. I mean, what school wants a coveted recruit to spend their official visit at some drab NFL stadium hundreds of miles away?