Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Jacksonville mayor correction: Georgia-Florida rivalry location not guaranteed past 2023

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited October 2021 in Article commenting
imageJacksonville mayor correction: Georgia-Florida rivalry location not guaranteed past 2023

ATHENS — The Georgia-Florida football rivalry has not been extended to be played in Jacksonville beyond its current contracted year of 2023, according to a new social media post from Jacksonville mayor Lenny Curry.

Read the full story here

Comments

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Sounds like the only person who hates this game in jax more than Mike is Kirby hahahaha.

• BigFanBigFan Posts: 144 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited October 2021

Let's take a baby step and meet half-way: If UF loves JAX so much (and I can see why with the beach and being only 70 miles from G'ville), they can keep playing their home game there. All good and no worries.

But UGA moves its home game to Athens. Starting in 2024. (I am, obviously, in the Kirby "recruiting is too important" camp.)

With that bias clearly stated, we should stop trying the "all-or-nothing" move-the-game strategy, which forces UF to do something they don't want to do. Fine. So let's us focus on what we control and for UGA, that's playing our home game in this rivalry in Athens after 2023.

Home & Home locations for UF = Athens/JAX or Athens/G'ville or Athens/Moon. Don't care so long as the UGA piece of this (home game) in in Athens.

If you believe that recruiting is not important enough to ever move anything from JAX ever, then please disregard the above. Everyone is allowed their opinion.

• jarred_buckjarred_buck Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes! Bring our game home !!

• 87dawg87dawg Posts: 364 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

florida doesn't care about keeping the game in Jacksonville. All they care about is keeping it out of Athens. It's not like, if UGA said we are doing our home turn in Athens, florida would say "That's fine, we'll stay in Jacksonville". No, they'd move it to Gainesville in a heartbeat.

It has nothing to do with money, because neither school is going to be made or broken by the money. It has solely to do with florida wanting to keep it out of Athens.

• ATDATD Posts: 258 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited October 2021

Everyone has an opinion on whether the game should remain in Jax beyond 2023. Personally, I'm with Loran Smith, who said that CKS should be afforded the opportunity to make the call. My bone to pick with you is that your comment makes it clear that the Democrats have clearly brainwashed you with their class envy rhetoric. Have you ever been to the World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party? I'm assuming not from your asinine comments. We're not wealthy people but we've enjoyed the trip and the game numerous times, along with lots of other folks of modest means. The game in Jax is accessible to lots of South Georgia and coastal Dawg fans who faithfully make the long trek to Athens for home games during the fall. The cost to attend any sporting event is very expensive. You pick and choose what's important to you and what you can afford. Go Dawgs!

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

With Kirby’s recruiting, UGA has become an elite football team and not just an elite brand as they were pre-Kirby. If moving the game to Athens every other year makes UGA an even stronger team in terms of signing even more blue chippers, this decision is a no brainer. With a natty under our belt and an extra home game against the hated Gators, Bama, OSU, OU, and Clemson would be left to battle it out for numbers two through five on signing day.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Something that should be mentioned, is that the deal with CBS to televise college games also expires in 2023. The only thing that speaks louder than Kirby with UGA administrators is money. If ESPN throws open the vault to keep the game in Jacksonville after 2023, you can bet UGA will take that deal!

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2021

Oops. Lenny speaking out of turn. Lenny WISHES the game was set in JVille until '26. That's A LOT of GA/National money coming into his FL town. Nice that it is the Universities option. Give CKS a chance to get this game moved out of FL every other year. Bring that money to Athens and/or Atlanta. AND have an extra recruiting game every other year. You don't see Bama or Ohio State giving up a home game every other year for a "neutral" site game. The JVille game served a purpose LONG before the UGA brand (under CKS) has blown up into one of the largest CFB brands. UGA has outgrown the need for this game being in JVille. This game helps FU much more than it helps UGA.

• bobebobe Posts: 203 ✭✭✭ Junior

I don't really know how I feel about it one way or the other. However, I do know there are a lot of recruits in Florida who love seeing UGA beat FU in Florida almost every year.

• bobebobe Posts: 203 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 174 ✭✭✭ Junior

Folks, get ready because the game is leaving Jacksonville and going home and away starting in 2024. Mark it down. It will happen.

• SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I can almost guarantee that when Texas/Oklahoma join the SEC, the Red River Shootout will move out of Dallas to a home and home. Both teams will need to up their recruiting game in the SEC and surrendering a recruiting weekend every other year makes no sense. Georgia is only earning $1.5 million a year to play in Jax. Hardly a reason to give up a home game.