Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart explains why he started Stetson Bennett against Florida, updates JT Daniels health

SystemSystem Posts: 10,430 admin
edited October 2021 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart explains why he started Stetson Bennett against Florida, updates JT Daniels health

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Kirby Smart explained his decision to go with Stetson Bennett over JT Daniels as a matter of going with the flow.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Dawgleash2019Dawgleash2019 Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

Yes, at some point you have to give the man some reps. Without question JT makes us more explosive and brings us closer to high powered offenses. I afraid that Stet can’t use the middle of the field enough due to his stature. I hope that KS is not just comfortable being in a familiar space of ground and pound and overwhelming our defense. I do believe that no top team is fearing our offense which is a little better than when we had Fromm at the helm. Please unleash Monken’s playbook at some point to get in sink for the challenging road ahead.

• Options
    EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It's time to sit the midget and get ready for this last run of the season.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2021

I could be very wrong. Sure wouldn’t be the first time. And it’s only my humble opinion which means the sum total of nothing regarding how well or not the Dawgs do going forward. But I think we will see JT very soon. I think we will see him in the Mizzou game. Might not start but I think he will get allot of snaps in that game. Why not start him ?? I think KS will want to get a solid score on the board and Then bring JT in. That way the pressure on JT is as mild as possible. Let’s face it JT has missed allot of Real Game time. I think that when JT does come in he will after only a few snaps be the smooth operator we have seen him be in the past. But here’s the real good news. I think that after a few snaps to shake the rust off we Dawgs fans are gonna see a Better version of JT Daniels than we have Ever seen at UGA !! Last year COVID greatly reduced the # of practices he had, And his injured knee was still prone to stiffen up on him, not to mention the psyche of getting his knee hurt yet again. This year from game one till here just recently he has been injured all along. NOW he’s either 100% health wise or 99.9% !! So after he shakes off the rust it stands to reason we will see the best he can be !! Which I think is gonna be Great !!! Plus we should be getting ( I hope) some of our receivers back. Maybe even George Pickens. Lastly I am grateful for Stets and his playing solid enough to keep the Dawgs on track to a Natty. The Mizzou game would be an opportune time to bring back JT. And he doesn’t necessarily Have to Start the game. Run the score up early bring him in mid 2nd Qtr. then turn the controls over to him. If he does as well as I feel confident he’s gonna do, then let him start vs the Vols. Just my take.

• Options
    SmokeOnTheWaterSmokeOnTheWater Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore

CKS does not have the best track record with how he handles QBs. Maybe he should think about letting Monken make all offensive decisions. Mr. Interception, can't run most of the offense because he does not have the field reading skills, Bennett keeps games closer than they should be.... Good teams will feast on Bennetts ineptitude.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I had no problem with Smart starting Bennett, but then came stubbornness and refusal to adjust which ultimately is the biggest difference between him and Saban. Again, remember that in 2017, Saban's decision to switch to the FRESHMAN Tua is what gave him the NC away from us.

It's easy to look at the final score and think things went differently, but the fact is that if we had played a team with a strong run defense that had "loaded the box", it would've been ****. Yes, there were at least a couple of the passes that should've been caught, BUT people seem to forget that there was a 3rd PASS to the end zone that if it wasn't overthrown, would've been an easy INT for one of the two Florida guys there prepared to catch it.

It's not Bennett's fault. He is playing at his same 4-star level as last year. The difference is that he was able to do his shorter and bootleg passes (which he is excellent at doing) as well as run the ball this year against an unranked Florida: none of which you will get away with against Bama and in the playoffs.

I have to admit that there is merit to a bias for Smart in relation to QB. Remember how he put it Bennett against Carolina awkwardly and unexpectedly? At the time, it seemed odd, but now it just seems that he was dying to get Bennett in there no matter what. Daniels didn't get the nod last year until Bennett literally hurt himself. Was Daniels able to play against Florida last year? I bet he was.

Now look at this game.

1) Bennett makes a throw that was a very bad idea to the end zone and would've intercepted. Should Daniels have been put in? I think he deserved a chance, but understandable either way

2) Bennett throws another really bad idea INT in pretty much the same double-coverage that wasn't even close. Georgia lucks out that the INT receiver decides to take it out of the end zone instead of getting the Touchback. This could've been the biggest mistake Florida made mentally as that started things in motion.

3) Okay, it's halftime and Georgia has a 24-0 lead. Bennett has done okay in the short game, but now it's DEFINITELY got to be Daniel's turn right to see if the Offense can turn things around? Nope.

4) 2nd Int, game clearly won with a nice 7:42 left in the game. JT time, right? Nope.

... and here we are. Final stretch of the season. Here's where we are at.

• Beck is gone. He's been given 13 attempts all year, didn't start one game. He'd be a fool to stay. Whether he is good or not, we'll find out next year when he finally gets playing time with someone else
    • Vandagriff has been given ZERO snaps in 8 games. Not a even single late-4th-quarter-handoff in our games like 56-7 UAB or our shutouts. Tua had gotten some playing time all year in 2017. Maybe we could've gotten him our Tua some opportunities?
    • Daniels. Poor JT. The guy has the talent to be first round pick and likely would've been had he been given the chance. Now, what does he do? Certainly can't imagine it's in his best interest to stay, so he'll just need to work hard and do well in the NFL evaluations
    • Bennett can't take us all the way as proven by last year and proven again by this game. He will always be that 4-star level guy and that's great for a Top 10 team, but not a team playing for the NC

So, that means for next year that the only 3 people that have played all year are gone. If Vandagriff would follow Fields' lead, he'd go as well (at least Fields got SOME playing time) and we'd rely on signing Gunner and hoping he is able to play in time.

Stubbornness is an evil and showing loyalty and bias is what kept Richt from getting to where he could've gone.

You know what? Smart is going to get pissy this month with QB questions and the infuriating part is that he will STILL WANT TO START BENNETT next week. He won't be able to, but he will really want to and that's a loser attitude. It may be human, but it's not a winner's attitude. Just because Bennett hounds you in practice and gives it everything he's got, doesn't mean that he's going to take you to where you want to go.

• Options
    budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited October 2021

“But at the end of the day, we went with the guy that we think had the most continuity and thought was playing well offensively.” Kirby says.

UGA had 6 scores. 1 was after the defense picked off the pass and Bennett completed a 36 yard td. Great throw. 1 was a defense score. So out of the other 4, Bennett produced 0 yards, 0 yards, 33 yards (12 yards passing, 21 running), 47 yards (40 passing and 7 running). The "other" 4 scores were td, td, fg, fg. Last fg drive was 2 passes the 7-9 yard pass that Bowers trucked down the field for 38 yards, and the 2 yard pass on 3rd and 3. The 0 yard td's were runs. Cook's 11 yard 1 play drive, and the 2 play drive that had a run by Cook and the dagger by White.

So what part was Bennett playing good offensively? Until Zeus broke that last run, UGA on offense has scored less and rushed for less in each of the last 4 games. Just saying.

And the new 3rd down passing for Bennett is 8 of 22 with 3- 1st downs. I believe that is correct. This game he was 3 of 5 with 1- 1st down. He has over 2x more attempts with less completions and 1/3 of the 1st downs. This is the only stat that matters. Not converting, puts your defense back on the field. And gives the other team the ball. Stats will make your head explode. Lol.

GO DAWGS. Hopefully you way better on the offensive side of the ball.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No reason to trust Kirby. /s

• Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Kirby Smart is a great recruiter. And a terrific DEFENSIVE coach.

Otherwise, not so much. If he had a QB throw for 300 yds and his team won by 40 points, he'd likely pee himself.

The "teacher's pet" can't read coverages or get them into the right play but hey, he's a DGD so who cares!

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dawg Nation is absolutely filled with bush league fans that love to complain like they have a permanent case of PMS! I swear that most are still PO’d that their “good man” was kicked to the curb and at this point of the season we can’t be making holiday plans for Orlando or Nashville!

As for me, I will support Kirby and this team including both QBs!

88, Kirby cares even less than I do what you think!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wow. Lots of people living inside Smart's head at the moment. I'm not, so I guess I'll have to wait and see if he actually makes this decision to completely ignore Daniels for the rest of the year before I criticize him for it.

• Options
  • Options

Nothing to do with Smart's head. We're simply watching a FB game, on the field. The rest is garbage. Folks love them some Stetson, fine. Their choice. Want to win a Natty, different conversation.

• Options

Huh, this comment would be far more useful if it included any facts or analysis. Not sure what "good man" means or why it's in quotes. Just trying to gin up a fight on the internet? For no reason? Hey, who's the best QB on the UGA football team? Want to argue that point, or simply to fling insults to people with whom you don't agree?

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Completely understand starting SBIV due to the "continuity" factor. Also completely baffled as to why JTD didn't get some reps in a blow out game. Must still not be 100%.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You ought to be a fan of the team you think is better equipped to win the natty. I have watched Bama, OSU, OU, and even Cincy. There is a big gap between the Dawgs and the teams that are two through five! That’s with Stetson getting us through the toughest part of our season! If you haven’t been paying attention, today the Dawgs demolished the team that almost took the almighty Bama out of the playoff picture coupled with the loss to A&M. As it is, it will be Kirby and the Dawgs that get that honor!!

• Options
    DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lots of rusty on both sides of the ball, good to get the rest and healing though. The Dawgz no doubt will be sharpened the rest of the season. 😎