Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia’s QB situation remains a hot topic

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited November 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia’s QB situation remains a hot topic

The quarterback situation of No. 1-ranked UGA is a popular topic of conversation across the nation this week after Stetson Bennett’s struggles in the Florida win.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2021

“While we’ve all been celebrating an unreal Georgia defense, we’ve been ignoring the elephant(s) in the room: 1. Alabama is getting better and better, and is built to beat Georgia (more on that later). 2. Georgia isn’t beating Alabama, or winning CFP games, without JT Daniels playing quarterback."

Mostly agree. As much as I like Stet, I do believe that Daniels gives us a better chance at beating Bama in the SEC Championship and winning CFP games due to his more accurate passing ability. Now, both QBs have been inaccurate at times, thrown interceptions, and made bad decisions. However, I do think JT has got a more accurate arm and can throw the back shoulder pass much better. The main hesitation I have with Daniels is his lack of wheels. He survived the Clemson defense, so I know that it's possible for a less-mobile Daniels to beat Bama with quick throws, excellent protection, and also moving him out of the pocket on designed plays.

Bama (and Young) is getting better every week, but in general, so are the Dawgs. We do need a more aggressive attacking offense, and I think we will do that with JT. We are getting more weapons back on the field soon, so I feel good about a December meeting for the Championship. Who knows, we might even have Pickens back!

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Could JT have built the same winning 2021 record Stetson has at this point? That is what I ask myself. What Stets may lack in the air he makes up for on the ground. He can really scurry for a QB. Would JT have had to scramble as Stetson had to? JT has a much quicker release and lower plane, higher velocity trajectory. Not so much hang time. I think he is more accurate under pressure as well. Stetson just rears back and flings it at times...hoping. It costs UGA nearly every time. I guess what I am saying is...I feel more confident with JT under center. Or at least I did. My other concern is JT seems to be injury prone. From pre-UGA days to now ...he has been injured a lot. Fortunately Stets has recouped quickly from any injuries...even though he is not a pocket passer...more play action.

Everyone fast forwards to Bama. They seem to have Stetson's number...but that was then. He may do better as a help meet than a starter in that game. Bama is now much better than Florida. Really have improved. You need a QB that gets you 1st and ten in three downs.....JT can do that...at least he has a better chance. Coach Smart? Give JT that chance this weekend.

• DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 482 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If Alabama wins out in the west it's likely we will have to play them twice. Who ya gonna call? The Dawgz offense has played all season without it's starting WRs and we have persevered. The defense has played lights out despite with all of it's injuries and inexperienced DBs. We have faced more adversity and still dominated. Bring on Bama Go Dawgz sic'em. 😎

• 97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Is it possible that Stet was given the chance to avenge his loss to the Gators last year? He almost transferred out but stayed, and was a vital part of our success early on this year. JT might have been able to go against Florida, but the Gators are weak enough that the coaches felt comfortable giving Stet the chance to get the win. After all, he stayed in even after we had a comfortable lead.

And now, we have to decide how much to read into the media viewing period on Monday, where deep passes were featured and JT's better velocity was on display. Are the coaches hinting that it's JT's time now? We'll find out Saturday.

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don’t want to be controversial, but I’m begging for some of you to clarify why you think JT is the great savior who will take us to the promised land. Mike Griffith has been spewing poison regarding Stetson that totally distorts the facts. JT has only started against 2 winning teams while playing at UGA (Cincinnati and Clemson). Stetson has started against 5 winning teams this year and 4 have been nationally ranked. JT is a very good QB, but he doesn’t walk on water as many may think. Against Cincinnati, he only converted 1 third down conversion on 11 attempts….no joke, 9% conversion rate. Against Clemson JT threw 30 passes for 135 yards…..that’s a hideous average per attempt and he had an interception to boot. To add insult to injury, JT only had 1 scoring drive against Clemson and that resulted in a FG. Against Cincinnati and Clemson we ONLY scored 3 TDs (a pick 6 by our defense, a run by Zeus and a TD pass to Pickens). While Stetson in the 4 “consecutive” games this season against winning SEC teams (all ranked in the top 11 sometime during the season), we scored 4 TDs in EVERY game for a total of 16 in 4 games. True, some were defensive scores, but the same can be said for JT’s record. To add insult to injury, in the Cincinnati game when we converted 1 third down attempt, JT had the following completely healthy receivers named: Pickens, Washington, Jackson. Smith, Burton……and Auburn’s #1 receiver Robertson. That’s 6 receivers rated better than any player Stetson had on the field yet we only converted 9% of our 3rd down attempts in the Peach Bowl. To add insult to injury, this season, Stetson is averaging almost 8 yards per carry while JT averages minus five yards. Also, Stetson’s average per pass attempt surpasses JT. So my question is: Why the heck are some folks bashing the Mailman and think JT is our only hope to win it all? Sorry, I just had to vent. Go Dawgs!!!

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You never know w/CKS. Is he that loyal to SBIV or is he trying to keep JTD and as much of the O under wraps and away from Saban's prying analysis? The OL needs to improve their pass blocking to keep the less mobile JTD clean. Run blocking has been less than desired as well. Gotta get BJones up to speed at LT to move Salyer to LG and Shaeffer to RG. Then WEricson can spell C and G during the game.

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2021

@UGA66,

Do you really think Bama has Stetson’s number? Stetson put up 24 points in the first half in Tuscaloosa against arguably the best Bama team in history. We were the only team to lead Bama at halftime thanks in a huge part to Bennett. I think it’s a stretch to blame Stetson for the almost 500 yards of passing offense Bama put up against us….mostly in the 2nd half. That was a TEAM loss and I’m totally confident the outcome would not have been different with JT behind center. In fact, I doubt seriously we would have been leading at halftime because JT would have been annihilated by the Bama pass rush which Stetson was able to escape for 30 minutes. Don’t forget, that’s the same Bama team that destroyed Ohio State and a QB named Justin Fields by the score 52-24 so that makes our score of 41-24 not look so bad and our game was on Bama’s home field. By the way, Stetson had almost 100 more yards passing than Justin Fields and twice as many TD passes. Go Dawgs!!!

• GBALGBAL Posts: 739 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I wouldn’t give dawgnation another interview or presser the rest of the year.

• BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Reading Kirby's explanation of why he favors Stetson I realize I don't think our HC is much of an offensive mind. Sorry, but that's what I think.

• BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby is really starting to frustrate me in interviews. A. I don't respect people who constantly lie. B. If he's not lying, I question his instincts where offense is concerned.

• ypcregypcreg Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Here is my speculation, I think JTD is 100% healthy in terms being able to throw the ball without any pain. But the big question is if he take a few hits and stay heathy. Our O-line is OK, but not great. If he goes into a game, 2-3 good hits/game is highly likely. I think CKS may be also concerned about his durability besides all the reasons he is saying publicly and he doesn't really want to have to switch QBs back and forth.

• MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Guess I'm missing something. I believe I remember Saban changing QB's twice beating us in the Natty and the SECCG. If one ain't working play the other, "Rocket Science". QB controversy is working, just look at the clicks.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We were on the verge of entering half time having scored 3 points to a team that some on here say talent wise they are nowhere close to UGA's. talent. And the coach is so dumb he makes Jethro Bodine look smart. So what gives? O-line didn't really push that weak untalented team around very well. Lot of the yardage our backs got was just pure 2nd and 3rd effort, We had most of the rushing yards on the first drive and then they shut us down pretty much.

The defense got the win. The offense couldn't really add on and make it a chance for the 2nd stringers to get in and see some action.

If FLA starts their other QB(that was a dumb choice by DM), and the defense doesn't get the 3 turnovers, all of our buts would have been puckerd up.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Your opinion Bubba Bill. I was mainly just asking questions of myself as I was thinking this through. The critical mass was not Bama vs Stetson. You made the point on the wrong premise of what I was saying. Good grief. I think Stets has performed admirably. It remains a question with me if he is the best option to face this year's Bama team. He may very well be. I would like to see more of JT to draw a better conclusion is all. Thanks for your opinion.

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2021

To answer your question @BubbaBill, it's not just fans who believe in JT Daniels, but CKS and the rest of the coaches obviously think so, too. How do I know? Because, only THEY knew that JTD was injured going into the first game against Clemson, and not only did they play him, they played him the ENTIRE game. To help him compensate, they played conservatively (one pass attempt of more than 20 yards) and just rode our defense for a close victory. Throughout that game, Bennett oddly spent time on the sideline warming up as if he would go in at any minute, but the coaches never allowed him to. We didn't know how good or bad either team was at the time, so we happily took our 7-point victory and danced our way back home. Then, two days AFTER that game, we started hearing about JTD's lat injury and that Bennett would have to play against (we believed) an inferior opponent in UAB. JTD did nothing on the field to warrant anyone's lack of faith in his abilities and when you see the two quarterbacks play in person (and not on TV), it's painfully obvious who the better one is. The question to ask is if JTD had never been injured, would there be a QB controversy? Probably not. The coaches had all of last season, the Spring and Summer to evaluate all the QBs and THEY decided that JTD gave us the best chance to win. So much so, that Bennett considered transferring. In fact, right up until the UAB game, Bennett wasn't even the #2 guy, it was Carson Beck (or at least that's what Kirby Smart told us). Fans didn't set that pecking order, Kirby Smart did. So this all-out faith that UGA coaches now seemingly have in Stetson Bennett is relatively newfound, despite what they say publicly. And for the record, I do believe Bennett can be the QB on a National Championship team, but ONLY if our defense can hold the other team under 10 points. That's a big ask in the playoffs. JT, on the other hand, can be THE REASON why we win a National Championship. Go Dawgs!

• DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Errbody quit worrying

• DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Greg McElroy's opinion is predictable - he also did not have the NFL arm or talent that JT Daniels has. But here's the point, and I'll bow out of this pointless run around (pointless because Kirby Smart is simply a stubborn fella who's as likely to do something contrary just because people question him - a trait he needs to grow out of, IMO), but moving on, per McElroy: "I think Stetson Bennett is the guy until proven otherwise." 

Greg: It was "proven otherwise" a long time ago. Stetson was the #2 QB (and barely) for a reason. He didn't get the job because he suddenly became the #1 QB. He got the job because JT Daniels WAS INJURED! How hard is this to comprehend.

You know, DAK's injured. Jameis is injured. Are you telling me that, when they're healthy, they're riding the bench?

This is a silly damned argument. Stetson should be showered with bulldog puppies and love and accolades on into Dawg folklore. But that's it.

A suggestion: Ask Stetson. Does he think the best QB should be playing? I have zero doubt about his answer, though he might hesitate a second, because he's a competitor. Love him for it. But the truth is what it is. Kirby's making it worse. Should have played JT last week. But he can't help himself. Has to think he's smarter than anybody else in the room. And with the HC title, that's his right. But sometimes he's wrong.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sometimes I really hate the media.... I want to be ****. I want to get defensive. I'll just say this. You bet your arse we can win it all with Stetson. Folks clamoring for JT need to understand there's a reason he's not playing. A nagging injury is just that and the best ability is availability. Now please stop griping about the QB and start enjoying the #1 team in America.

• RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great post Bubba. I know it's every fan base... but ours seems a little extra "the grass is always greener". And grifters like Mike know exactly how to push all the right buttons and stir it up. He's loving every minute of this media hyped "controversy".

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

LAst year under SB we averaged 29 points agame. Under JT we averaged 37.

JT was the Gatorade HS PLayer of the YEar for the whole US like 4 years ago. SB was a walk-on. Let that sink in for a moment.

I beg anyone who doubts JT to pull up some HS film on him. He led his HS to the #1 spot in the country his Junior year. THis guy was HS royalty, could of went to any school he chose. If not for his injury SB wouldn't be on anyone's mind this morning.