Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia offensive trend has shifted run-heavy with Stetson Bennett at quarterback

SystemSystem Posts: 10,431 admin
edited November 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia offensive trend has shifted run-heavy with Stetson Bennett at quarterback

ATHENS — Georgia has the highest run call ratio in the SEC over the past three games and the fifth-highest among Power 5 teams in the nation at 61.88 percent.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I highly recommend every Dawg fan read the Chip Towers (front page) article in today’s AJC Sports Section. Chip goes into great depth regarding our QB situation. Did anyone on this site know that the Mailman has a QB rating that would place him #3 in the nation and #1 in the SEC if he had 18 pass attempts per game? Unfortunately, he averages just 14.5 passes per game thanks to us jumping out to huge leads in games and Kirby finishes-off our opponents with running backs. Funny how many folks deny the facts and see Stetson as a liability. I just don’t get it, but the stats don’t lie. The doubters keep going back to the Bama game last year where we lost 41-24. Why don’t those folks mention that Stetson performed much better than Justin Fields in his teams 52-24 loss or Ian Book’s lousy performance to the exact same Bama team on neutral fields. I think it’s time for all of us to start believing in Stetson and our coaches and quit second guessing every coaching decision. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The problem is that we've gone through the whole run-heavy offense... for decades and we have nothing to show for it. I mean, we've earned the "Running Back U" title with some of the best runners out there. The problem is that when the defense "loads the box" and challenges you to pass and you try and run it - you lose. Nick Chubb got stopped and he's one of the best out there in the NFL today.

We all know this. We all know that if we played Bama that way, Bennett would've been stopped after a yard or two max. He wouldn't be able to get those bootleg passes and other short/middle passes and handing off to the backs.

Just look at the Mississippi State game last year. They had Will Rogers going 41/52 for 336 yards. We won by 7 points largely because of Daniels passing it over 400 yards. THAT is what we need to win.

• Options
    BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I won't rant or cast about insults, but I do think we're moving towards a problem against the best teams in The SECCG and if we make it, the playoff. Limitations are often exposed at that level of competition.

• Options

Quantity is the problem, a few deep completions skews the qualitative stats, we're going to need quantity at some point, that is going to be tough to produce the way we're running the offense now. We have a beautique passing game, we need mass production.

• Options

Our offense as it is now has built in limitations. We might beat Bama or OSU with a plodding offense and great defense, but the odds would be much better if we could open up the whole field with a state of the art hybrid passing offense . we're limited now.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Look at Mike Griffin with all the stats! I knew he could do it if he did a little research. Personally, I can live with a few more throw aways and punts (flipping field position vs a stout UGA D) with JTD when it means stretching and spreading out the D and opening it up a little for the running game (and passing tree). You don't get that w/SBIV. And you can bet Saban will have a plan to limit even more what SBIV will be able to do. We have seen the ceiling of this O w/SBIV. We haven't seen what the ceiling of the O is w/JTD. The next 4 games is when we need to see what QB gives UGA the best chance to win.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'd like to say that our Defense will shut down BAMA and we can win 21-10. BUt I think we all know that's wishful thinking. Young is better than FLa-s QB's. THat's not to say that the defense can't limit BAMA's high output offense, it can, it just can't do it if we can't score points. If we're not moving the ball and putting up points(not FG's) and we're having several 3 and outs, then game over. Look for BAMA to do what we do. Shut down the run and make the QB beat us with his arm. I'm thinking we'll need 30+ points. I'm sorry, with all due respect to SB, but I can't see him beating Bama without a balanced run game. WIth JT I could see us passing our way down the field in chunks to open up the run game.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2021

All the talk about spreading the field and opening up the passing game with JT. Please, what WR has been remotely consistent besides true freshman McKonkey? Spreading the field with four WRs and three of them are no threat doesn’t work regardless of QB. It has been a hell of a job by Kirby, Monken, Stets while JT has been injured, and JT when he’s been healthy to have the Dawgs far and away the best team in the nation while our most explosive and consistent offensive receiving weapons have been on the sideline. There’s not another team in the nation that could lose its starting QB for half a season and virtually all of its preseason receiving weapons for all or major portions of the season and be within shouting distance of the playoffs!

GREAT JOB KIRBY, STAFF, AND THE ENTIRE BULLDOG FOOTBALL TEAM!

“Those who are interested will do what is convenient. Those who are committed will do whatever it takes!” These coaches and this team are committed!!.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ShoottheHooch, I would argue that Bama could make the playoffs while missing its top offensive players. And for the very same reason as us -- their defense. The Dawgs have been able to overcome the loss of a starting QB and several receivers because of the defense, not because of our offense. Also, if JT were playing, I can all but guarantee that our wide receivers would appear to be much better. JT can throw guys open, whereas Bennett has to make sure they're open before he throws it. Again, if Kirby plays JT again, everyone will clearly see the difference -- including our receivers. Until that time, this debate will just go on and on. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Has anyone stopped to recognize that Stetson's interception and return to the florida 2 was the catalyst for our 21 points just before the half? If the ball is not at the 2, Richardson is not running the ball and exposing it for the fumble take away. Everything resulted from florida getting the ball at it's own 2 and trying to move out from their goal line. Just my opinion.

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2021

@MikeGriffith

“Part of the recent for the run-heavy numbers has to do with Stetson Bennett being under center with Daniels sidelined as a result of a strained late injury.”

I don’t think your assertion is well supported.

The games against Vanderbilt and South Carolina are throwaways.

Against Clemson, it appears Daniels managed 135 yards passing and an interception, against a completion/attempt rate of 22 for 30 with an average of 4.5 yards per pass and no TDs.

Against Auburn, it appears Bennett managed 231 yards passing and no interceptions, against a completion/attempt rate of 14 for 21 with an average of 11 yards per pass and 2 TDs.

Are the Dawgs throwing less? Yes. But why throw when you can run down the clock and protect a comfortable lead?

• Options

I've been perplexed and confused by Kirby's words over the past month or so. I've said all along I wish he would let Monken have full control over the offense.

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

Stetson Bennentt won't be the reason UGA will not win a National Title this season. Kirby Smart will be, if we don't. For all the talk about a dynamic downfield passing attack, he still is living in 2017, trying to run the ball down opponents' 8 or 9 in the box, throats, imposing our will on them, throwing the ball a dozen times. SBlV is Jake Fromm. Works great vs SC and UF. Maybe even Oklahoma again. But Bama will put a stop to it. Again.