Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart vague on Georgia quarterback situation, declines to name starter for Missouri

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited November 2021 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart vague on Georgia quarterback situation, declines to name starter for Missouri

ATHENS — Georgia coach Kirby Smart declined to clear up the Bulldogs’ quarterback situation on his Tuesday night Zoom call with reporters.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well I'm sure the two quarterbacks know by now who is starting, but I just don't see why the Number 1 team in the nation is publicly being coy about its starting quarterback. Kirby obviously doesn't have to explain it to us, but I just wonder what the purpose is. Surely, Missouri is preparing for both guys and once the game starts, only one can play. I really don't get it unless it's about not trying to hurt some guy's feelings or wanting to avoid having to have other players offer up opinions. Maybe there's some other reason, but I really don't understand the need for mystery at this point. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BillyDawg1BillyDawg1 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby vague on the QB situation, choose a day, choose a week.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Kirby mystery theater....nothing new. I would like to see JT toss the ball around against Mizzou....see how all those practice reps have paid off....personal opinion.

• Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Kirby Smart does many things very well. This is not one of them. Do you have a #1 QB or not? It's not a hard question. You think you need to "fake out" Missouri, doubtful. Want to keep both QBs working hard - you seriously think that's necessary with these two? It's a silly game. But it's one he seems unable to resist playing. Tiring.

• Options
    bobebobe Posts: 203 ✭✭✭ Junior

Honestly why let your opponent start preparing, there is a difference in playing style when either SB or JT are playing. Even if JT is 100% healed and ready to go or if Smart decides SB is the starter; you don't have to announce that to your opponent.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Why do we need to broadcast who the starters will be at any position? That’s totally insane and information the opponents don’t need to know. Let our coaches handle those decisions and I promise you will know the answer at game time when the opponents will also be surprised. This is great coaching so just be patient and trust the guys making the big bucks. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, unfortunately, that likely means that Bennett is the starter as he just doesn't want to admit it and get pounded with questions of "why" all week.

This tells you what you need to know:

"It’s really more about situational, If this guy gets hurt, who’s going in..."

That's how he bases his decisions. What a silly statement. Could you imagine if he said "well if so-and-so-RB gets hurt, who's going in?" Of course not. You just adjust the rotation. If you're playing all of your QBs that have the capability and talent to play, you aren't talking or worrying about injuries. At this stage of the Season with our record and history of blowouts, it shouldn't be Bennett playing 60 mins per game. JT should play when 100%, Beck should get 4th quarter plays until he has enough game experience to make a decision on him and Vandagriff should be getting whenever you can squeeze him in.

Instead, it's about giving Bennett the most playing time as possible. Remember when we got up to a quick lead with JT and then he put in Bennett for the rest of the game? Remember when he put in Bennett awkwardly for a series? He has never done the reverse and replaced a healthy Bennett for anybody. That is an issue.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Exactly so.

Trust the man who is himself a DGD, has us loaded with talent which he himself recruited, is 8-0, is #1 in the nation, just trounced our most hated rival, and wants to win more than anybody.

Either that or trust a keyboard warrior?

We all agree on one thing...

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks Jim,

I’m fascinated that you and I both received “down votes” from a few (apparently) clueless folks. I sincerely can’t think of one logical or strategic reason to ‘show your cards’ and tell the competition what you plan. I think these negative comments are from folks who also can’t wait until Christmas to open their gifts. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

CKS started SB against FLA because JT hand't played in several games and we had been beating top 10/2o opponents. If he suddenly starts JT and it goes south then he would have pulled a DAn Mullen(he obviously started the wrong guy-thanks Dan). Kirby started SB and if it had gone south he could then make the switch and if JT gave the lift he needed,CKS is a genuis the pundits would say. IF he started JT and it didn't go well then he made a bonehead decision-some would have said.

I can't prove this but IMHO without the complete turnaround with 2 minutes left in the first half, CKS would have started JT in the 2nd half. As it turned out, there wasn't the need.

• Options
    chilidawg1chilidawg1 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭ Junior

The issue is not tipping off your opponents about your quarterback choice. The issue is having a quarterback in place who can beat Alabama. Stetson Bennett can't do that. Bennett has limited arm skills and he will not be able to keep up against a high powered offense. Furthermore CKS seems clueless as to developing young QBs. Justin Fields is an example of that, and we are doing the same thing (nothing) with Carson Beck, Brock Vandergriff and next spring Gunner Stockton.

If CKS is doing such a great job with our QBs, we must think Arch Manning will come to Athens? There is no way the 3 elite QBs in the Manning family will let Arch come to Athens and waste his time with a program that has no plan for developing QBs.

CKS is a great recruiter and defense coach, but he is not a great offensive or QB coach, and he continues to demonstrate that. If coach Monkin (??) truly ran the offense, Daniel would have played against Florida and probably would be the starter against Missouri.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not so sure Kirby's a clone of anyone, but let's say he's a Nick Saban clone...

What would be the problem with having a clone of the greatest coach in the history of college football?

Go, Dawgs!