Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

ESPN expert: ‘Gap’ separates Georgia, even though Bulldogs have ‘limitations on offense’

SystemSystem Posts: 10,448 admin
edited November 2021 in Article commenting
imageESPN expert: ‘Gap’ separates Georgia, even though Bulldogs have ‘limitations on offense’

ATHENS — ESPN analyst Chris Fowler says “Georgia is a dominant No. 1 for a reason,” discussing the so-called gap between the Bulldogs and the rest of college football.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not sure Alabama and The are a fair comparison.

UGA has played more ranked teams this season than both of those teams combined! And how many points are we behind their average???

Alabama beat FU by two points...scoring a few points less than we did.

And our offense has missed key members.

I guess we'll never know the impact Big Man Tate would have made on the OL.

So we score quick and get the defense back on the field and they wear out...how does that really help??

I guess we'll find out in a few weeks, but I'm looking for MSU to give The a run for its money when they play.

We beat Arkansas what 37-0? Kirby wasn't going to run the score up on Pittman...we didn't need to anyway.

Just a question from a non-coach observer who simply likes football: the way that Alabama and The have scored this year, have they shown all of the ways they can score? If UGA has limited anything, it may be what these teams are able to evaluate in game film. Monken has called the right plays to give us big wins, and keep the defense rested while the O is on the field.

• Options
    sealdawgsealdawg Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

UGA's yards per play (YPP) is 8th in the country, not 8th in the league as written. They are 1st in the SEC in YPP, while Alabama is 22nd in the country and 3rd in the SEC.

• Options
    DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

1st our offensives limitations are drawing nigh each week with the returning of our previous injured. 2nd depth is being added to offense because the WRs, TEs and QB who playing are gaining experience, if the regulars were playing they would just be getting mop up duty. 3rd the defense is playing at an elite level that our offense can excel until he starters get well. Also our offense is scoring enough that the gas pedal is eased up on, just think how ridiculous the scores/yardage would be . Go Dawgz. 😎

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've been meaning to ask, what does UFK mean? Pardon my ignorance...

• Options
    DawgOnTheBeachDawgOnTheBeach Posts: 59 ✭✭✭ Junior

Bennett has thrown for over 230 in three of last four games and is one of only three Power 5 QBs to average more than 10 yards per pass. Come on Mike how about just a little bit of credit!!

• Options
    PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There is an error in this article.

>>The Bulldogs rank 44th in the nation in total offense and eighth in the SEC, also ninth in the league with 6.89 yards per play.<<

6.89 yards per play is actually 1st in the SEC and 8th in CFB.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The offense has to improve. We've been getting off to an extremely slow start over the last 4 games or so. As a matter of fact, we only scored a total of 10 points in the last 4 games combined in the 1st quarter. We need to be a 4 quarter offensive team. A slow start against Tennessee and their fast paced quick strike offense could get us behind the 8 ball early. I think Monken has fell into trying to 'play it safe' early by playing close to the vest with his play calling. Not sure why that is but Monken is a great OC, I just hope we open it up from the start.

• Options
    srialiensrialien Posts: 13 ✭✭ Sophomore

Didn’t UGA attempt 30 passes this past weekend vs Missouri?

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    Dawg01Dawg01 Posts: 53 ✭✭✭ Junior

Must have been awfully sobering for those Bama folks to hear... By the way, the offense is better than folks think - lot of garbage time in those stats and the receiving group is finally getting healthy.

Equate it to LSU having a lights out offense - waiting for the defense to get healthy two years ago.

• Options
    sthop456sthop456 Posts: 72 ✭✭✭ Junior

As Mark Twain once said, "There are lies, damned lies, and statistics. " We'll eventually settle it on the field no matter what the talking heads say. We control our own destiny.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2021

As mentioned in many of the comments below, the statistic mistakes make the Dawgs look like a pretty weak offensive team. I admit that we have been playing pretty conservative offensively in most of the games - taking what the opponent's defense gives us and working around injuries - but we ARE starting to show that we can move the ball down the field if we have to do so, and we have certainly had brief "moments" of our offensive firepower throughout the season. I have been calling for more aggressive play calling myself. But think about this - the Dawgs threw to 9 different receivers last weekend. We're getting more weapons on the field, and we WILL probably need to air it out more at some point in order to win a game. But, as long as the defense is holding opponents to such measly points then I guess Monken and Kirby don't want to show their complete offensive hand any sooner than is necessary. Smart also knows how important the RPO and running game is to our offense. I do think we will see more passing in the coming weeks in order to get the offense ready for the post-season.

As long as we continue to win games by big margins then I really could care less what the stats say.

• Options
    BassDawgBassDawg Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    87Dawg_1187Dawg_11 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭ Junior

The football talking heads look at the statistics and point to the Dawg's offense as a weakness, but the offense is extremely talented and plays to their strength of running to setup the pass. Kirby also uses the offense to limit opposing team's TOP and keep the defense fresh. Every opponent stacks the box against UGA and try's to force Bennett to beat them, but UGA will establish the run game, even if the yards per carry are low, to setup the pass later in the game and wear the opposing defense down. It's old school bully ball, but it's working so far.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was a J-School major not a math major...all these stats. LOL I got some simpler stats: UGA has played four ranked teams ..back then at least...three of those ranked teams in a row...and, no one has scored more than13 pts against the Dawgs. either. With Stets behind center, UGA has scored between 30 and 37 pts per game against three of those four ranked teams ... the exception being Clemson...first game. To me...those are meaningful stats. UGA not only denied its opponents more than one/max two (?) TDs scoring, most of those TDs during 4th qtr garbage. Tells me UGA has a great defense and a pretty good offense. I want these stats to hold up for the Vols game this Saturday afternoon. I am believing UGA is in very good stead to do just that.

• Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

While it's not perfect by any tangible stat, this Dawgs offense "does" perfectly complement what is turning out to be a "generational" and "historic" defense. Moreover, the idea portrayed by so many talking heads that this is a limited offense is absolute hogwash. There is no doubt that UGA could have hung 100 on Vandy if they had chosen to do so, and they could have easily put up 60 on Arkansas and SC. I'm not going to pretend that the offense of 2021 will be talked about for years to come, but they do what they need to very well, and I'm not concerned about them keeping up with Bama and/or tOSU if the defense gives up a few scores.