Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football quarterback situation becomes clear with Stetson Bennett in win over Tennessee

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited November 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football quarterback situation becomes clear with Stetson Bennett in win over Tennessee

Georgia football is sticking with stetson Bennett at quarterback.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stetson keeps on keepin' on...winning. Right now he is the UGA starting QB...much improved version.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I still say that JT is the more skilled quarterback, and I am surprised that Bennett has done as well as he has for as long as he has. But as long as we keep winning by double digits, it's all good. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I must admit there were times in the first quarter I thought, “It’s JT time.” Obviously, Kirby’s and Monken’s faith never wavered. They were right!

• Options
    osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I’m trying to wrap my head around the constant doubt that Bennett has to face. I mean beyond the simple, “but JT gives us a higher ceiling” business, which is really just a symptom of the privilege we have of having two very capable dudes. That “but what if…” is a monster, because it’s always unanswerable. I have my moments of doubt, for sure - particularly when we’re down and there are hiccups (like there would/will be with whoever’s under center) - but I sure am proud of Mr. Bennett.

Different note: the lack of commas around those “thoughs” in this write-up is driving me nuts. For example, “the Dawgs, though, were not distracted by the crowd noise.” That’s what it should look like. Every. Time. Sorry. That’s the English teacher in me.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Surprisingly I'm not going to complain about not seeing JT - I wouldve loved to see him start the 2nd half, but by 4th Quarter it was clear we needed to get the F outta there before we encountered more injuries. Running the clock down was absolutely the right call. I know that Bennett will start against our cupcake opponent, but I think it'd be a good idea to give him as many reps as possible. If we NEED to go with a long ball pass game, we will need him rust-free.

• Options
    DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Like him or not like him the offense is clicking with Bennett at the helm.😎

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2021

YES!! I have a somewhat differing take about the quarterback situation, but upvoted this on the comma comment alone. I've commented on it myself multiple times. In fact, this is one of those where I skipped the article and went straight to the comments, and I now know based on your comment alone that Riley wrote this one. It's a problem.

• Options
    DawgOnTheBeachDawgOnTheBeach Posts: 59 ✭✭✭ Junior

Overall, nice article, however, one comment. The negative of two interceptions against the Gators continues to be highlighted. I would point out that in his last year the “great” Stafford had three at the Cocktail Party, in a losing effort. Am surprised wasn’t benched based on the standard many impose for Stetson

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Is it possible that JT has already communicated his intentions as to coming back, turning pro or transferring? That would help to explain why he is not seeing the field.

• Options
    Trey33Trey33 Posts: 133 ✭✭✭ Junior

I know I’m going to come across as the bad guy I like Stetson I’m just worried about when we face teams like bama who has elite talent at corner Stetson hasn’t shown the ability to throw receivers open we’re going to need that also you can’t miss big plays that are wide open in big games and let’s be honest he’s not fast enough and doesn’t have that wiggle you need to escape true 5 star defensive players that were going to face in the SEC championship game say what you want but bama is just ass focused on us as we are on them they’re going to force him to throw into tight windows and those 2 picks a game that he always gets away with won’t fly against them and can really be the difference between another pat on the back year vs the true goal of winning the Natty. Look past the hype every team he’s beaten this year never really stood a chance to beat us bama is still bama the only route to holding that trophy is through them I’m tired of just showing up we have the talent to get it done USE IT!!!!

• Options
    IowadawgfanIowadawgfan Posts: 64 ✭✭ Sophomore

Are u watching the same game .. he throws check downs to backs can’t hit guys until there wide open and even then ,,Brock bowers wide open on the side line ,, he misses them .. the running thing is because he locks onto one reciever and he’s running either for his life or up feild .. go back and watch the game as if it was game tape the throws he makes 7-8 yards in the middle of the feild ,, he had a wide open receiver that he doesn’t even look at .. no different from cook and white .. clearly cook is doin better things he cuts he’s allusive and white is straight up the gut takes till the second half when the big boys have worn down the defense for white to get his yards … lastly the qb wouldn’t have to run at all if he new how to throw a guy open and not wait gor him to come open .. I’m truly confused about what people are really watching

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I think the reason why is Stetson is pressing all the right buttons and connecting all the dots.

My opinion is, the locker room is behind Stetson, he is very likable, very humble, and everybody's dude. As for his skillset vs JT’s, JT is the more highly rated passer. He has the slightly stronger arm, JT is the better pre-snap read guy. Stetson is a dang good passer himself, not as good at the pre-snap read as JT but far better with the legs and escaping pressure and adds another legit option in the RPO. Stetson was sacked twice yesterday and those could largely be credited to him, however, had JT been back there, there was about 4 sacks that Stetson turned into big plays with legs that JT would most likely suffered the sack. Stetson ‘Mayfield’ Bennett is getting the job done. I thought Kirby and Monken had lost their mind when they stuck with Stets after JT got healthy but then again, that’s why they make the big bucks and I sit here as one **** happy Dawg fan!

• Options
    LakeSinclairLakeSinclair Posts: 23 ✭✭ Sophomore

Point totals against SEC opponents this year: 40, 62, 37, 34, 30, 34, 43, 41. Does that sound like an offense that's broken? And what are you supposed to NOT do to something that ain't broke?

• Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited November 2021

Crazy question but is KS trying to redshirt JT Daniels? I'd personally rank KS's management of the QB position somewhere south of zero but that's nothing new. But forget JT for a second. Saturday, Bennett played the ENTIRE game. With a 31 point lead, he was still in the game (those last minute scores are becoming irritating but they're irrelevant). Earlier in the year, this blog was filled with "where's Carson Beck?" Now.... crickets. So KS doesn't play JT at all (which is mind numbing, unless he's trying to run him off - off to the NFL), but what about Beck? Who the HEY does KS think is going to play next year (thus the crazy redshirt comment - BTW, UT's QB is a RS Senior)? Does he not think a few snaps in Neyland would be helpful for Carson's future? Or is he obsessed w/D records and stats? That was nuts. Let's hope some of those Q4 injuries to starters aren't serious. And they gave up the late TD anyway so what was the point?

But back to the QB situation. The hogwash afterwards about "game plan" and planned runs w/SB? Watch the tape. Who ran designed QB runs? Tennessee did, not GA. Stetson ran when he had no other option. Why did he have no other option? When he wasn't just jumped on early due to missed blocks, it was because he held the ball too long, wasn't quick enough w/reads and didn't see the right receiver. And then he missed a few (not all, granted - hopefully nobody misses them all). And those 1yd, 2yd, pass punt series? Do you think they were in the right play? You'll have to ask the coaches, if they'll tell you, after watching the game film. Didn't look like it.

But Kirby has what he wants. His feel-good good ole' boy story. Meanwhile he has standing on the sidelines one of the best players to come out of H.S. football in the last 20 years. Saw a comment, that JT has a "slightly" better arm than Stetson and might be better with pre-snap reads. Goodness. JT has a NFL caliber arm - and an NFL caliber brain. And I know what this sounds like, but it is NOT a slam on The Mailman. He's one of the greatest DAWGS ever and a hell of a guy. Where would UGA be w/o him this year? But he is not the best QB on this team. Let's hope that stubbornness of KS does not come back to bite the Dawgs in a spot that's still sore from last time.

Prediction, and hope I'm wrong. If JT Daniels does not play the rest of the year, UGA finishes 12-2, and Stetson gets an ESPN special.

• Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior