Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

QB Stetson Bennett ‘undecided’ if he’ll return next season

2»

Comments

• Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Have you ever wondered if it is that simple, and the coach (who has a history of mis-management of the QB position) is wrong?

• Options
    edited November 2021

Have not asked Todd, but my guess is he'd love to crank the RPMs on this offense and take shots. But it requires three things: being in the right play, quick release, and a big-time arm. That should not take much to translate.

• Options
    edited November 2021

OK, so he ends up with two losses, the SEC title game and the first round game of the playoffs (if they stay in based on the current "UGA untouchable" theme). Fine. Is he still coming back in that case? Look, he's on the top of the pedestal right now. It will NEVER get better for him than it is now, even on the off chance he can make an NFL roster (which is doubtful). But countering all this is that he's a fighter. So he might, and IMO should, take the NFL shot and see what happens - but should do it now. Waiting a year does ZERO for him.

Now, if he thinks the NFL is not an option for him, coming back and getting loved-up by the UGA fan base for another year before going on to whatever else he'll do, might seem attractive. HOWEVER - and this is an uninformed analysis from an armchair - from the POV of the UGA football program, what is best for UGA? Easy. Play the best player (every position). That's not Stetson. Isn't right now and won't be tomorrow or the next day.

And beyond that, bottom line, if he stays, JT and probably 1-2 more are gone. Want a bold prediction.....

JT to Clemson - where he would rule. I know, horrors. But they need a Pro QB. They don't have one. They would be in the finals next year. Stranger things have happened.

Kirby has blinders on. Always has. When his "awakening" will happen, if ever, who knows. The BEST recruiter in the nation - and not close. The rest of it? Has not yet risen to Saban's knee-caps.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

DeppDogg, please, step away from the pipe. Say “NO” to drugs!

• Options
    sutherngasuthernga Posts: 30 ✭✭ Sophomore

Honestly, I hope he doesn't return. He needs to move on to allow the other quarterbacks the opportunity to play or we will definitely lose them. And we're back to square one with not enough QBs.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My opinion:

• Bennett: Crazier things have happened, but I cannot see Bennett being drafted. He is one of those college-level players whose skills don't translate to the NFL. I'd imagine that he wants to stay another year, but the question is whether Smart wants him to or not. Based on Smart's history, I'm sure he'd say "sure, stay and compete" and start yet another year.
    • Daniels - He's listed as the 14th best QB for the NFL Draft and I can't see him staying an additional year with Bennett + Vandagriff (2nd year) + Gunner (1st year). He will just have to do his best to get as high "on the board" as possible and then show off his skills at camp.
    • Vandagriff - Hopefully he stays. Being that we are on a championship level team, he certainly should believe that he'll get a real shot
    • Gunner - Hopefully he signs. He should as by his 2nd year he should have a clear path to play.

Again, though. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE play the backups tomorrow...

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

You people that are saying these negative things about Kirby just astound me. You say that he does not know how to manage the quarterbacks, who do you think brought them to UGA. If not Kirby's personal recruiting, he approved the scholarship offers. He is responsible for the performance and direction of our beloved UGA football team and I would not swap him for anyone else, including Saban or Bellichick. Enjoy these heady days of success, we have gone through a lot of years (personally about 64 years of being a Dawg fan) of lesser expectations and performances. I addition, as I tell my Alabama friends, nothing lasts forever and that especially applies to winning championships in college football.

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I’ve never had to wonder boss, just trust that the coaches who are paid oodles of money are qualified to make the right call. I’m not cocky and ignorant enough to think I know what’s best for UGA by what I see from my living room and the few games I go to a year.