Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Stetson Bennett: ‘I just believe I’m the best guy out there’

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited November 2021 in Article commenting
imageStetson Bennett: ‘I just believe I’m the best guy out there’

Stetson Bennett, UGA’s starter at quarterback, is one of the college football’s most inspirational stories this year.

Read the full story here

Comments

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

1...Ohio State should move up a notch or even two. They are decidedly better than Bama...in my very humble opinion.

2...I hope Stetson is right..."I am the best out there." GA Tech won't prove anything. Bama will. He will have to play better than he did today. Bama has some major defensive issues but will be UP for UGA. Kirby will have to flat out-coach Saban. Stetson will have to be more accurate...much earlier in the game. I believe UGA defense can really help win this one. UGA will need ...as someone said..."all hands on deck". That means Pickens. This is UGA's year of the Dawg...believe it.

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yes, hope Stet will prove it.

Projected CFP rankings....

#1 - Georgia

#2 - Ohio State

#3 - Bama

#4 - Cincinnati

• DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Love the belief. JT feels exactly the same way. That's the way it's supposed to be.

Can't have two 1's at the position. But you definitely want both believing they're the guy.

I've got JT #1 and I also see The Mailman in the "All Dawg" Hall of Fame. Both can be true.

I guess we'll see how it turns out.

• SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

And I believe in unicorns. Unfortunately neither of us is sane.

• Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stets has every reason to think he’s the best out there. He has proven it against the best teams on our schedule. I’m not against either QB. I base my evaluation on the actual games played not the hype train. JT looked good last year against bad to mediocre SEC teams then against Cincy he had an opportunity to show his “NFL acumen”. He was very mediocre. He had another chance this year against Clemson. There was absolutely nothing to suggest NFL early or even mid round pick. Then before getting injured, again, he had his moments against weak competition. Earlier this year Stets dropped a dime in McConkey’s pocket for a TD that traveled 56 yards in the air. I have yet to see JT make that throw.

Again, I am not anti JT, but based on games against live action defenses, Stets is much more dynamic as a runner and has been very good taking the top off defenses that crowd the LOS to stop the run to the point of blowing out every opponent.

The claim by some that, “The receivers are making Stets look better than he is.” is the most asinine argument possible against Bennett. Here’s a clue about receivers, their job is to catch the ball!

• SmokeOnTheWaterSmokeOnTheWater Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore

The arrogance is only outweighed by the on the field inconsistency.

• 87dawg87dawg Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Folks want to keep saying Daniels started against mediocre teams, have you people looked at the records of who Bennett has beaten?

Daniels' 3 starts are 21 - 12. I don't count Vanderbilt as he only played a quarter and didn't throw due to injury. Bennett's 7 starting opponents are 42 - 34. But, in the interest of fairness, I'll drop Charleston Southern as that was a group effort so make his starting opponents 38 - 28.

That makes JT's opponents' win percentage 64% while Stetson's is 58%. I gotta tell you, I absolutely believe we are the dominant team in college football but, aside from clem(p)son, who has turned their schedule around, and Kentucky, we haven't played any real world beaters.

This isn't an argument for who is the better quarterback. This is to simply point out the obvious, which doesn't seem to be obvious. I also believe Bennett's comment was used out of context in the headline when he said he was the best out there. I believe he was speaking of his game-day mentality and I agree with that thought process.

• flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Using his game time mindset of "I'm just the best guy out there" as your headline is sure to start up some controversy. He wasn't being arrogant it was the little engine that could mentality. He didn't say I'm the nest guy out there is why Kirby is playing me. Come on.

• dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 182 ✭✭✭ Junior

Everyone's perception is different.

What's he supposed to say?

Uh, I'm playing because JT isn't.

Just enjoy the ride folks.

11-0.

He must be doing something right.

If he needs to come out of the game KS is intelligent enough to recognize that.

• DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'm just glad we had a QB who did not choke away a game or two this season, while JT was in a 3-month rehab from injury. I mean, if Beck would have been the only option, I think we would be thinking about a Chick-Filet Peach Bowl opponent on January 1, right now. Instead, we are eyeing a 12-0 season, and Mercedes Benz appearance, with our dream (or nightmare?) opponent, who just let Arkansas score 35 points in Tuscaloosa. An Arkansas who is still having nightmares about UGA lol.

Go Dawgs!

Go SBlV!

• DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

The arrogance is only outweighed by the on the field inconsistency. - SmokeBlindingMeLol

You mean, the QB who is (Top 100) #1 in the country in QBRating (184.6)? Who is #2 in times sacked? #1 in yards per carry (6.7)? Who is leading the offense that is #3 in the country in Points Per Drive? Give me more arrogance and inconsistency!

Go Dawgs!

Go SBlV!

• jamboogiejamboogie Posts: 188 ✭✭✭ Junior

Both could use a little improvement on their accuracy when in the game. I'll leave it to KS to determine who's in or who's out

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Where would we be without Stetson Bennett?

Go, Dawgs!

• TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don’t think Stetson is the one who is arrogant, I think that assertion belongs to significant portion of our fan base. I mean really, Kirby and Monken are with these young men everyday while practicing, and both are top tier coaching commodities and yet we watch the Dawgs play once a week and think we know better than them on who should be the starters. Let’s let it rest and support Stetson. I too thought it should be JT but Stetson has proved to me that maybe I should just trust in the coaches decision.