Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart lifts Georgia to new heights amid high-stakes college football environment

SystemSystem Posts: 10,473 admin
edited November 2021 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart lifts Georgia to new heights amid high-stakes college football environment

ATHENS — Kirby Smart took over Georgia before the 2016 season preaching and practicing “relentless energy and passion,” understanding the urgency it would take to find success in the SEC.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Slabdog64Slabdog64 Posts: 32 ✭✭✭ Junior

It is my hope and belief that Kirby is starting the beginning of a long era of Ga being at the top of college football success every year. At some point the NFL might throw a bunch of money his way and he will have a decision to make. With his recruiting ability I look for this to be the start of a long run of successful years for the Dawgs. He’s young enough to keep this going for 20+ years if he wants to.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2021

With the mention in the article about the “transfer portal” I wonder if Tyrique, Brenton and/or Jermaine regret their decisions to leave UGA. They definitely opted for lousy teams and several of those players are having mediocre seasons. Oh well, we could have used their talents, but they had to do what they needed to do for more playing time. Too bad because those championship rings will be mighty nice. That’s what happens when you put your ambitions above the “TEAM”. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just asking a curiosity question here so no need for anyone to go into attack mode lol. But if Kirby gets a contract for 100 Million $$, what will you expect of him as a Dawgs fan ?? Also what will be the bare minimum expectations from you to justify that kind of $$ ?? Just curious what folks think, there is no Wrong answer really. Thanks in advance for the feedback !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Kirby is a great coach in the College game and many coaches jump to the pro's and many do not have the same success at that level. The whole structure of building a team is different there. Kirby is a very good X's and O's coach but what makes him great as a college coach is he is one of the 3 best recruiters in the country. In college, you go out and find your talent and then you sell your program. You can recruit the 10 best rated players in the country in their respective positions if you good enough, but in the pro's, you get one pick per round and you have to put that puzzle together with what's available and what is left.

I would be absolutely shocked if Coach Smart had any interest in pro ball. But the again, the man loves challenges!

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    Wozzo_the_Wonder_DogWozzo_the_Wonder_Dog Posts: 189 ✭✭✭ Junior

Can we please get an update on Charles Trippi. He turns 99 on December 14th, and we won't have him much longer. The trivia question during the UGA-Florida game was when was the last time that UGA entered that contest ranked number one (it was in 1942 when Mr. Trippi was tearing it up). Is he following this year's success?

• Options
    KzLarryKzLarry Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

Wozzo, that was a GREAT question! While maybe making history, it is always good to remember history!

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Obviously our fan base will demand two National Championships in the same year! 😁

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

THis is just where we are in big time college coaching right now. Think about DM he obviously wasn't worth what they paid him and are going to pay him. Plus he will get hired by some school either as OC or HC and still be making a million a year plus more than likely. Maybe the best gig in America, no? Power 5 coaches get paid largely due to perceived potential. And if you do reach the top ala Saban then the world is your oyster.

How many millions has Saban brought in for BAMA? Certainly much more than they have paid him. Ogeron won it all and 2 years later, he's out. WHat have you done for me lately?

If FLA brings in a big name coach and he turns the program around and if we were to lose to them(I know unimaginable almost) 3 years in a row, the murmurs would start here, even if we win it all this year. It's very demanding a very lucrative.

• Options

This purely curiosity on my part. NOT wishful thinking I Assure you !! I just want to get different opinions. Maybe see if there’s any sort of majority trend. OK. Purely hypothetical and honestly I think Far removed from reality, in terms of the negative side. But What If Kirby and the Dawgs win the Natty this year. But next year win the SECCG, but lose in the playoffs. Then the next year Kirby wins the SECE but loses the SECCG and doesn’t make the play offs. Then the next year things get worse loses to UF and TN in the same year. But then the next year sort of surges back by winning the SECE and loses in a very hard fought battle only by a FG in the SECCG, and again doesn’t make the play offs. The next year the horror of horrors happens and he loses to UF, TN, Aub, and………..GT !!!! Why am I asking such weird questions ?? I’m curious to see how much lee way winning a Ntl. Title buys when it comes to DAWGS fans. I mean it’s harder to really compare to LSU and other SEC teams because they have won much more recently and in some cases multiple Ntl. Titles. Now I doubt Very, Very seriously that Dawgs fans will have this to worry about probably for at least 7+ years. Kirby has the program powering into the atmosphere like a powerful rocket !! I cannot imagine him slipping as bad as my hypothetical situation. But purely from a rather morbid curiosity How Much does winning a National Title buy Kirby in Loyalty from Dawgs fans ?? We Dawgs fans are in my opinion a whole different and very unique cut of cloth as compared to other fan bases. I won’t go into all that now and NO not in a Bad way !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    ColoradoSkiDawgColoradoSkiDawg Posts: 35 ✭✭ Sophomore

What about Josh Braun? He flipped to Florida after Sam Pittman went to Arkansas saying he was committed to Pittman, not UGA, and didn't want to have to establish a relationship with a new OL coach. How's that working out?

• Options
    tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

What have you done for me lately mentality has taken over the college landscape of coaches. Plus the giant salaries and buyout money they receive if fired from their jobs. 100 million$ salaries being paid is just unreal. They should be judged on a scale of how many National Titles can you promise to win for this kind of money, if the coach fails on his promise to win a Natty or two, then he should have to give the school back a percentage of his millions. That money could then be used for scholarships for deserving students to get into college.

• Options
    TheSouthernDawgTheSouthernDawg Posts: 6 ✭ Freshman

Kirby knew the expectation when he arrived here. No one expected anything year one, but he has installed the process here and it is without a doubt materializing this season. He's set himself up for a very long run of stability & success as long as he keeps doing what he's doing.

GATA!!

• Options
    TheSouthernDawgTheSouthernDawg Posts: 6 ✭ Freshman

Not sure if I agree that it should be a "national title or bust" proposition, but I do agree each of these contracts should be incentive/merit based. Or, give them the guaranteed money but no buy out option if the coach is fired. Take Michigan State for example. They're about to throw a boatload of money at Mel Tucker, and for what? I love Mel, but honestly...what has Mel achieved to already be negotiating a contract extension worth nearly $100M? He's had 1 good season at MSU and just got destroyed by Ohio State. Now I'm not saying 1 game tarnishes a coach's worth, but seriously, Mel really hasn't done anything. Now, come see me in 3 more seasons. If he's put together playoff-contending teams 3 years in a row, then he's proven something.

The money end of things has just gotten absurd, and there's no end in sight. And I'd make a coach choose: you want guaranteed money? Fine. You can have guaranteed money with no incentives but.....if we determine its time to part ways for whatever reason, you get no buy out.

• Options

Lol got down voted for asking a hypothetical question lol !! But seriously I think Kirby is set in steel reenforced concrete For Absolutely the next several years. The Only way I would see UGA giving a divorce is if he had a Total collapse for back to back years AND with no logical explanation as to Why. However to keep up a Top Three recruiting effort he will need to win National Titles fairly frequently . LSU and Auburn are examples of what can happen if you lose the edge. I think for at a bare minimum ( I’m pretty sure much longer) for the next Three years Kirby will have the Dawgs either in the play offs For Sure or in hot contention to get in. And I stress at a minimum. Georgia has become a top school in Many ways. Football has brought Much More attention to UGA since Kirby was hired and gotten a much larger interest on a National basis of not only the program and campus but the City Of Athens as well. We’ve heard Much More compliments coming from around the nation in recent years. Bodes well for both UGA and Athens !! Go Dawgs !!