Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

As transfer portal interest heats up, Kirby Smart doubles down on recruiting philosophy

SystemSystem Posts: 10,435 admin
edited November 2021 in Article commenting
imageAs transfer portal interest heats up, Kirby Smart doubles down on recruiting philosophy

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 823 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like Kirby's strategy. Especially given the abundance of elite prospects in Georgia, and kids from out of state who want to play with the best, keep filling the pipeline and building the culture! What with all the injuries UGA had this year, you see how that approach worked out... next man up (with not only top skills but huge heart and complete commitment) to go after that natty. Go Athens, UGA... and of course Dawgs!

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

with all the transfers and injuries we've had this year it's amazing that we're fielding a secondary this season.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

With all the defensive players we're losing after this year, we could use some transfers to come in and plug some holes. BAnk on it.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I really like that Bubba Watson pic and post - looks like a sweet family together. Glad to see that he's done well in the golfing world. I don't keep up with it, but it always seems like the UGA golfing program is at (or at least near) the best.

Anyway, I suppose that the Transfer Portal is a double-edged sword. I mean, sure, there will be instances where a player signed based on existing coaches and setup only to find out that everything changes and he no longer fits into the scheme. Also good reasons are moving closer to home or a family member that needs help/love.

Beyond that, though, it certainly can be hit-or-miss. Not to be an a-hole, but I guess we are still supposed to be "praying" for Alik even though absolutely no details have been given to us as to what his "personal reasons" are. And we don't need to be talking about Jamie Newman again.

Given the fact that we have a large number of commits for 2022 (23) that puts us at the top of the rankings, we'll likely see more losing of commits vs gaining of them just due to the fact that "good" is no longer good enough. This is (fingers crossed) the start of OUR dynasty (Saban won't stay long if he's drops from the top) and it's just going to be a part of life just like Bama sees coaches leave all the time.

Either way, things are looking good right now - lets play a nice "tight" game against Tech and get out without injuries.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2021

Smart said. “If you’re not building it from the ground up, you’re not developing players and you’re not keeping your players within your organization, you’re going to struggle.”

Agree 100% and that is why I haven't really bought into the transfer portal. Just think if we had depended on the portal to fill our holes this year? We got transfer guys that can't even play! You gotta build your team from the ground up - from high school. And that also means building depth at position. It's a culture, philosophy, and belief system that needs to permeate your organization. That's what Kirby has and is still building on. Success feeds on itself with another #1 recruiting class in the making!

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 823 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For the DB room in 2020 and 2021, we landed five (5) 4-stars and one (1) 5-star. For 2022 and 2023, we have four (4) more 4-stars and another 5-star on the hook so far, with more likely to join. I know there will be injuries and others who fall through the cracks, but that's a heckuva stable... I say get these kids coached up and out on the field. Go dawgs!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Solid recruiting foundations take the pressure of the evolving superstructure. That is Kirby. The portal serves as the needed addition to the superstructure. That is also Kirby. That is a sound football program. One that lasts.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Since the story neglected to say, where is Elias Ricks transferring from?

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

At the beginning of the year, the preseason polls had UGA ranked anywhere between five and ten because of questions about the defense. With all the talent lost from last year’s D due to the NFL and portal, no one saw this D being anything really special much less generationally good. Heck, this D didn’t have one All SEC first teamer if memory serves and zero preseason All-Americans. The talent and development of this team in just five full recruiting classes speaks volumes about Kirby’s philosophy of roster management.

The Dawg train is just now leaving the station. I expect the offense to close the gap on the defense next year and there will be very little drop off on the D, if any. Nick and Sony saw early on what Kirby was building. Now, there is no stopping this train with Kirby as the engineer. ALL ABOARD!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Trayvon Walker, Wyatt, Davis, Dean, Anderson, Smith, Quay W. , Tindall- all gone folks. May not see a group like that in a while folks. Enjoy while it lasts. Got some big shoes to fill. Look for CKS to try to plug and play with a transfer or two. We'll see.

• Options
    TheSouthernDawgTheSouthernDawg Posts: 6 ✭ Freshman

Yep. We caught lightning in a bottle this year. This is a generational defense, possibly the best ever if they keep it up, to play college football. It's a real tough standard to match moving forward. The portal will be integral in trying to resurrect this caliber of defense in the 2022-23 season.