Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

College Football Playoff committee praises Georgia, beat writers discuss Georgia Tech rivalry

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited November 2021 in Article commenting
imageCollege Football Playoff committee praises Georgia, beat writers discuss Georgia Tech rivalry

ATHENS — Georgia coach Kirby Smart made it clear he doesn’t have time to follow the College Football Playoff rankings, but you can bet there are multiple UGA staff members monitoring things closely.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Exactly so. We killed 'em dead and buried 'em deep.

With quick lime.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    NukeChiefNukeChief Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

Did this biased clickbait artist also take into account the margin of victory, even after playing scrubs most 4th qtr's? Nope.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@NukeChief You can find more on how Jeff Sagarin determines strength of schedule here --https://sagarin.usatoday.com/2021-2/college-football-team-ratings-2021/

There are other formulas used, as well, but margin of victory is not included in the SOS. It is included in Sagarin's computer rankings, and those who vote in polls, like myself also consider the margin of victory.

Interestingly, back in the BCS days, it was mandatory for the margin of victory to be capped in the various computer formulas to avoid teams running up the score, which many teams do now.

Kirby has not been one to do that, often running the clock out, as we witnessed last Saturday when UGA was 7-7 with Charleston Southern the final 30 minutes of the game.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

• Options
    YellerDawgYellerDawg Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We play who is placed in front of us…nothing more or less. Who’s Alabama played that’s all that? I’m almost 100% sure UGA would take their schedule and still be 11-0. Ohio State was beaten by Oregon who lost to a bad Stanford team and a 7 win Utah team. Cincinnati? Don’t make me laugh. Playoff teams don’t struggle with the likes of Navy, Tulane, and USF. This committee is even discussing putting Alabama in if they have a close loss to UGA, which is garbage. Might as well do away with the whole playoff system if that occurs.

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

GO DAWGS!

BEAT TECH!

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Can someone explain why colleges award coaches like Franklin and Tucker 10 year contracts? I’m sure they are great guys, but what honestly have they accomplished to deserve it?

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not sure why everyone is so down on Cincy. I seem to remember barely beating them like in January of this year. As in last play of the game. Come from behind. THey have done nothing but do like us, play the team in front of them. THey beat the powers that be's favorite team every year, Notre Dame, The same Notre Dame that beat Tech by 55?

I would go so far as to say having watched the replay about half a dozen times that the tram we played in January looked better or as good any team we have played so far this year.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2021

The same Cincinnati team UGA beat with many 2nd and 3rd string players due to injuries and opt outs..

• Options
    edited November 2021

No defense they've faced compares to the DAWGS Defense. I'm with you, I hope Cincy gets a chance to find that out firsthand. I agree, it's definitely not the same team for either school since the bowl game. I'd say UGA is much better than the last time they faced Cincy. Watching UC struggle against "powerhouse" teams such as ucf, Navy, tulane this year..i'm not convinced they've improved much (if any) since they last played UGA..GoDAWGS!

• Options
    rxmasterrxmaster Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

You can stop after B. There is no such thing as transitive value in college football, and trying to analyze teams in that regard is nonsensical. Alabama, A&M, and Miss State is a great example of why that is a foolish proposition.

UGA is not the same team that played in Peach Bowl last year, neither is Cincy. If UGA showed up unfocused, they could lose. Good teams, and Cincy is at least good, can take advantage of poorly focused or prepared teams.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Folks, it's just a metric and an interesting number -- if Georgia beats Alabama, as they are favored to do, none of it matters! It's just interesting to hear the CFP discuss the Bulldogs and take a deeper dive into one of the many metrics they look at!

Enjoy your holiday weekend!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It is all in the mind of the beholder until the game is over. Close wins count as victories....W column. That is why Cincy is where it is and Bama where they are. Those are my metrics.

Happy T Day all.

• Options
    EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yall kill me talking about what a team did against another team that's the dumbest arguing point. Every game is different just bc a team has a close game doesn't mean they aren't worthy. Cincy luke UGA has beaten everyone in front of em. They are worthy of a playoff spot right now

• Options
    edited November 2021

I'd add the name Jim Harbaugh to that list also. Media touts harbaugh as an "elite" coach 🤣🤣🤣 he's never won a division title, much less a conference title. I've seen articles stating he's as good as Jimbo Fisher (articles obviously written by delusional Wolverine homers) As much as I dislike Fisher, at least he won a NC while at FSU. Without the harbaugh last name, he'd be an obscure, average coach who gets no attention. The media's definition of an elite coach is hilarious at times. Using the media's guidlines for being an elite college coach, the list would include at least 65% of college coaches in the country.