Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Kirby Smart shrugs off relevance of recent Georgia-Alabama meeting, no ‘overlap’

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited November 2021 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart shrugs off relevance of recent Georgia-Alabama meeting, no ‘overlap’

ATHENS — Georgia didn’t get to be the No. 1 team in the nation by looking in the rearview mirror, and Kirby Smart certainly doesn’t need a history lesson.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2021

6 straight. Wow. I didn't realize that, but yes, I'd say Saban has the Dawg's number. All I know is 0-3 since 2016 should provide plenty of motivation.

Call it what you want, but there is absolutely no denying the pressure on the DAWGS and Kirby to win this game. At this point in the season, seeing how well we have played (beyond expectations) and how poorly the Tide has performed, make no mistake about it....it will be simply devastating if we lose.

We belong in this Championship game....But does Bama?

Who will come in with the better game plan? Which team will execute better?

It's time to school them boys from Alabama...DAWGS by 2 touchdowns!!

• bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 275 ✭✭✭ Junior

"There is no overlap. There is no overlap! Go DAWGS!!"

-Jim Harbaugh

-

• PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

No overlap and I can tell you that Saban is petrified that we beat the Tide by 2-3 TD's. This will effect recruiting as he knows his team is not championship caliber.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hope we can run the ball against them just enough. I don't see us coming out and running the fist 2 plays every series and dominating them. That will be a waste of time. We haven't done that all year even to lesser opponents. We will have to be creative on 1st and 2nd down and run just enough to make them honor it.

SB will have to throw more in this game and it won't be luxury, stress free throwing with a big lead(although I can hope). It will be with stress on him. This will be where you seperate the men from the boys. Not only for the QB's but for the receivers too. Here's hoping for the best.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Its definitely been a "weak" year for teams other than UGA and that means that our schedule wound up being far "easier" than expected. Sure, you can claim that we "broke" those teams but realistically they were just weaker. It's easy to get overconfident against a Bama team that hasn't dominated and so we need to be very aggressive on offense.

• Clemson: #3 => #23
    • Arkansas #8 => #25
    • Auburn #18 => Unranked
    • Kentucky #11 => Unranked

"Good" isn't going to cut it in this game as well as in the playoffs. You can't just wear down these defenses and run plays up the middle.

That being said, we absolutely have the skills to go all the way.

• KBPKBP Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

How are they going to block our D-line all game long? Our O-line is not dominant but highly effective so we will be able to run the ball and how will they cover all of our receivers? The way Stetson spreads the ball around, who do they focus on? Stetson is way more experienced now than last season and is just simply playing better than last season.

Coach Saban said Bama is getting everyone's best shot this year but they have been getting everyone's best shot for the last 10 years and still dominated most everyone every week. It's just that this year, they clearly do not have the best talent on both sides of the ball. They are more reputation than on field production in 2021. Other than QB, they have no clear advantage over us as a team. I do think they will throw underneath a lot and probably mix in some screen passes to offset our pash rush but unless we help them with turnovers, Dawgs by 21.

GO DAWGS!

@BubbaBill,

It's not so much common opponents to me, it's more of outside of Ole Miss, Bama has struggled with every good team they've played. We are accustomed to Bama beating really good teams by high double digits every year for over a decade and having one, maybe two, less than 10 point victories in a season. This season has been the opposite. This 2021 Bama team is extremely fortunate to be 11-1 as they could easily be 8-4 with losses to A&M, Arkansas, LSU, and Auburn. To their credit, they won 3 of those games and are headed to the SECCG.

• BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A perfect example of the toll we have taken on every opponent. It took Clemson 4 weeks to get 3 defensive stars back on the field. And, Coach Pittman said in his Monday after UGA press conference, "First they beat us up, then they bullied us, then they made us like it." We know what is going on here, it's our opponents fan bases that try to dismiss our dominance with that tired narrative of we haven't played anybody. To all those folks...please don't bite me to hard. And have a Merry Christmas.

@kirkhilles ,

This team is great regardless of who they've played and we have 12 weeks of evidence to back that up. It's not like being in a "weak" conference with a "weak" schedule has hurt Clemson once they made the playoffs. They have two National Championships after playing in a weak conference and beating the team that came from the absolute best conference. It's less about your opponent and more about you. I never would have said that until Clemson beat Bama twice.

We have been far superior to every team on our schedule and the results have proven that and unless a team can match us talent wise all game long, we will get 3 more W's.

• SCDawgFanSCDawgFan Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

These will be the best receivers UGA has faced all year. Hope they are up to the challenge! Looking forward to a good game and hopefully a game with players avoiding injuries!

• MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Not really a lot to say, for the most part Bama has been the better team overall. We've been talking about catching them and overtaking them since KS became HC. I believe we've caught them, now we have to beat them. I believe this is the year....

• rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The Auburn game plan was to pressure the qb every down. They did an excellent job until the last drive. I truly believe that had they continued the pressure tactic on the last drive, Auburn would have won. If you give Young time, he will find a receiver and deliver a ball that only his guy can get. We have to pressure him on every play, even running plays. Hit him hard and often but only legal hits, as this team had done all year to opposing players.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

DOes anyone know if their star receiver has to sit out the 1st half due to targeting?

• MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@reddawg1....No, Williams should be back for the entire game, because his targeting penalty came in the first half against Auburn. Williams is their best receiver, and between him and Metchie our secondary will have its hands full. But, I think they will be up for the challenge as long as our pass rush is disruptive enough (Auburn had 7 sacks against Bama) to keep Young on his heels or his rear! Bama's O-line is definitely their weakest link (other than a somewhat porous defense), so I'm expecting Young to be on his back much of the game. If we don't get to him regularly then we may end up in a shoot out which we really don't want.

• IowadawgfanIowadawgfan Posts: 64 ✭✭ Sophomore

Hopefully smart remembers the past and doesn’t let his ego get in the way .. bama has no trouble making changes in the second weather it’s bench the starter , stir up a totally different offense and defense whatever the case may be .. I hope he took a page out of auburn A&M and Florida’s book and not only game plan but be ready to adapt as the game goes on do history doesn’t repeat itself .. cmon dawgs

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Dawgs must understand that “crunch time” begins with the opening kickoff. We need to get control of the game, put our foot on their throat and choke the life out of them until the final whistle! If they have even a breath of life in them in the fourth quarter the officials will find a way to resuscitate the Tide and hand them the game.

Look no further than the Auburn game. I won’t even mention the obvious holds on that last Bama drive because regardless of the obviousness, holds can be debated. What was beyond debate were the two intentional grounding calls that were somehow overlooked, Young was in no way outside the tackle box, the balls were not past the line of scrimmage, the balls landed in the field of play, and there was no Bama player in the same zip code where the ball landed. I kept waiting for Homer “Bama” Danielson to state the obvious on both plays and call out the officials. Not a peep! Obviously, CBS knew the officials had gotten their marching orders from the Bama home office in Birmingham.

I am pulling for the Dawgs to not only beat Bama, but to break Bama! It may be the only way to get out of Atlanta with a win if it is left to Saban’s b** ** in Birmingham!