Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Cover 4 on Georgia football: Would an undefeated Alabama still be ranked ahead of UGA this week?

SystemSystem Posts: 10,489 admin
edited December 2021 in Article commenting
imageCover 4 on Georgia football: Would an undefeated Alabama still be ranked ahead of UGA this week?

DawgNation’s “Cover 4″ concept is a popular live show on our streaming media platforms and a timely content piece on DawgNation.com, too.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 382 ✭✭✭ Junior

This is a very easy answer….NO! UGA would not be ranked #1 with Bama being undefeated, regardless of who is playing better or more dominant for this very reason:

Outside of DawgNation beat writers, the entire sports media freaking love Alabama and can’t get enough of them, they always and I mean ALWAYS get the benefit of a doubt!

To prove my point, I’ve been hearing from the other sports media, even if we beat Bama and say Cinncy, UM, and OSU loses…a 2 loss Bama has a better chance, like 57% chance of getting into the playoffs over a 1 loss ND team! If that doesn’t show favoritism, I don’t know what does!

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Good to know. Meaningful stat to put on this teams resume of accomplishments.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I tend to agree, kinda sorta.

However, Notre Dame is also a highly favored golden child team. Like Alabama. Like THE Ohio State.

In your scenario - we beat Bama, Cincinnati loses, Michigan loses, and Oklahoma State loses - what happens?

The current ranking are like this.

Probably a one lose Cincinnati having lost to Houston losses out. They have no more credibility. They're currently only ahead of Notre Dame because they're both undefeated and won the head to head. They drop out of the playoff consideration list.

Everybody else is a two lost team. Everybody but Notre Dame.

The new rankings come out.

1. Georgia
    2. Notre Dame
    3. Alabama (unless Georgia blew them away)
    4. Depends who had the best loss, but either Michigan or Oklahoma State, unless both had very bad loses in which case Ohio State and Cincinnati are both in consideration again. That's assuming Cincinnati barely lost to Houston on a last minute fluke play or bad call.

Remember this: Alabama, Notre Dame, and THE are golden children, fair headed, and highly favored. Always.

In real life if Georgia beats Alabama it's going to be like this.

1. Georgia
    2. Michigan
    3. Oklahoma State
    4. Cincinnati

Of course, there are other scenarios but they're less likely. Much less likely. Dream on, Ole Miss.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

This is a silly exercise. The answer is obvious. YES, looking at these same two teams with the only difference is that Bama ended up winning against A&M, the Dawgs would be ranked ahead of Bama simply based on 2 things: 1) Our margin of victories and the way we have played and 2) Bama's several shaky victories against mediocre opponents and opponents that we played much better against.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My thoughts exactly. "Would" and "should" are two different questions.

• Options
    DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It doesn't matter, 1st, 2nd we still would be playing Alabama and then whomever makes the CFP. Bring it on the field.😎

• Options
    adawgadawg Posts: 14 ✭ Freshman

Alabama did not beat A&M. A&M beat Alabama. That's who their 1 loss was against.

• Options
    adawgadawg Posts: 14 ✭ Freshman
  • Options
    budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2021

I don't get the thought of everyone about all the reams losing.

The fact is, if just 1 of the 3, Mich, OK State, or Cincinnati lose, and Bama only loses by 6 or less to UGA, believe me, they will find their way into the playoff. With ND coaching issues, Baylor ranked too far back to jump that high, and a 3 loss(?) Iowa team. Never. And Cincinnati losing just gives the committee an out they are looking for. If the 4 win; UGA, Mich, OK State, and Cincinnati, those will be the 4 in. Even with a 3 point win by UGA, possibly. I still think Cincinnati needs to win by more then 14 points. The media pundits and committee members just love Ala too much. They are all still pumping their chests the year they put Bama in with no conference title game appearance, and they won it all.

I dislike the point spread, because it means it will probably be close. I just can't handle it. I will probably pass out during this game, because I am just too high strung. 😅

GO DAWGS!!!!! and beat those lousy, stinking bammers. Sorry BA. 😂

• Options
    budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It kinda matters. Now they have 1 loss, UGA needs to end their playoff hopes. If we were both undefeated, we would have to play them again, without a doubt. Still may have to, but atleast UGA has the chance to end their season.

But I do understand what you meant. We would still be seeing them on Sat.

GO DAWGS!!!!!