Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart: Stetson Bennett has ‘some similarities’ to Alabama QB Bryce Young

SystemSystem Posts: 10,479 admin
edited December 2021 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart: Stetson Bennett has ‘some similarities’ to Alabama QB Bryce Young

ATHENS — Stetson Bennett caught the attention of many of his Georgia coaches and teammates four years ago when playing the role of Heisman Trophy winner Baker Mayfield for the scout team against a defense prepping for Oklahoma in the Rose Bowl.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

Our Dawgs run with our RBs more so than Bama. I think considerably more. Am I correct on that ?? It’s what I think but I could be wrong. Mike or anyone that knows the comparison feel free to answer. Thx in advance !! Good article Mike !! Well done and Thx !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I heard Bama is down to one starter running back. Injuries. Bryce should have trouble with UGA's pass rush defense. Sure, he will get some good throws...he has a quick release and is accurate....but he will be out of the pocket more than he is in it....hopefully with many forced throws. Bennett has a plethora of receivers available to him. Lots of perimeter throws. And Bowers across the middle. UGA OL should push Bama around and allow some great runs by Cook, Zeus and company. Also, UGA must not have turnovers against Bama. UGA pressure should force picks and fumbles. I am feeling really good about UGA. Deep talent pool. This should be a double digit UGA win. I really don't see why it would be close. Kirby needs to play this game as he has others. This is not a mega-talented Bama team. Take it to Bama, do not let them take it to you.

• Options

Fully agree !! Great comments !! Plus the Dawgs are Blessed with Big Darnell Washington & Fitz to give help in blocking !! Plus Bama could get caught off guard when Either of these guys line up giving the appearance of gonna block and get the ball thrown to them !! Especially big Darnell !! Also if memory serves me ( lol allot of times it don’t ) Darnell acted as a RB a couple times this year. Not to even mention the extremely dangerous weapon Brock Bowers is !! As long as the Dawgs stay focused and keep bringing it on Every play on Both sides of the ball they Should win this game. I honestly Believe they Will !! But if per chance Bama does win this game, which their Not, then they would deserve to be in the playoffs. This is one of if not The best Dawgs team I’ve seen in many, many years !! And just think of all the injuries, and Still this good !! Win or lose ( but their gonna win) I am Very proud of these Dawgs !! It’s Great to be a Dawgs fan !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 277 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Maturity and leadership from within the players is our greatest advantage. Even I with natural pessimistic tendencies believe UGA will gain victory over Bama in this next step toward the NC.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As noted in the article, Stetson is #2 in the nation in passing efficiency, but I also saw where ESPN has him as the #2 QB in overall QB rating (QBR) which includes his running ability…..Amazing. Go Dawgs and go Mailman!!!

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

From the perspective of being a fan since I was a boy of 13 (in 1957), this is the best UGA team I have ever had the privilege of watching. From a talent standpoint, Stetson is not the best but from a results standpoint, he is. I saw a lot of Irk Russel's fabulous "Junk Yard Dawgs" and they were outstanding, but this year's defenders are, talent wise and depth wise, head and shoulders above them. I have enjoyed every year of my Bulldogs games (well, maybe with the exception of the Johnny Griffith years) but this year is special.

• Options

So Many Great Dawgs fans !! I hope they win it for You and your family and friends, for Me and my family and friends, and for All fans of the Dawgs !! But Most of all I hope they win it for themselves !! These kids have worked so very hard. Kirby and the coaching staff are ever pushing them to be Elite. I hope they win it for Kirby, the coaching staff, all the analysts, assistants, program admin, for the University Of Georgia and the State Of Georgia. I sure hope they close the deal and finish business with the SECC Title and the National Title. Eyes on the Prize Dawgs !! Eyes on the Prize !! Go Dawgs !! I BELIEVE !!!

• Options
    SCDawgFanSCDawgFan Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

If UGA is able to handle business, I think Kirby owes it to these boys to “turn them loose” leave no doubt! (They hype trailer got me hype!!)😂

• Options
    Dawgleash2019Dawgleash2019 Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

Let’s pump the brakes on this UNNEEDED comparison. Stet is good at what he does but by no means does he effect the game like B.Y. We are the Dawgs with various strengths but the role that our QB has is totally different from our opponents and that’s ok. We can’t have every advantage, and I don’t claim false ones. This article was a waste of time. Gooooo Dawgz!

• Options
    Dawgfan1995Dawgfan1995 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭ Junior

You know, maybe Stetson really is 5'11" tall. Kirby is 5'10" tall and there is NO reason for his height to be listed incorrectly.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

BAMA won several NC 's with game managers. No shame in that. Been saying all season that SB can shoot you in or he can shoot you out. Hoping for his resolve and maturity tomorrow. Know when to hold them and know when to fold them. Go DAWGS!!

• Options
    MickeyRichMickeyRich Posts: 101 ✭✭✭ Junior

The Dawgs have a better team and many advantages over Bama. But Bama has a much better QB in Bryce Young and maybe the best coach in college football going for them.

That said, I like almost everything Kirby does in handling this team except for the QBs. Kirby was wrong with his comparison of Stetson to Bryce. Bryce is a Heisman Trophy finalist and has an elite arm, elite vision; and is one of the top quarterbacks in the country-check the stats. With all due respect to Stetson, he has no elite qualities. He is not a prolific passer, and he doesn’t have the arm to be a threat on the whole field.

I like Stetson’s moxie, and he is probably best at running Kirby’s offense, but the team must defeat Bama because UGA won’t win because of Stetson. Unlike Bryce Young, who if given time, can beat a team. We need our defense to show up in an elite way.

I pick UGA to win, and all Stetson has to do is take care of the ball.

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate