Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

‘Wake-up call’ applies to conservative Kirby Smart, 41-24 SEC Championship Game loss to Alabama

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited December 2021 in Article commenting
image‘Wake-up call’ applies to conservative Kirby Smart, 41-24 SEC Championship Game loss to Alabama

ATLANTA — Georgia coach Kirby Smart told his team the 41-24 loss to Alabama in the SEC Championship Game was a “wake-up call” on Saturday afternoon.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    NashDawgNashDawg Posts: 63 ✭✭✭ Junior

I’m tired of watching Kirby screw up a highly talented roster with a walk on

its too late for JT to develop into a top competitor bc Kirby luvs Stetsy

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

Conservative? Really? What I saw was Stets HAVING to throw into coverage and into tight windows all night. Pickens? He was no better than the rest at creating separation.

Whine like little girls about Kirby not going to JT! Who was he going to throw to? Were the receivers going to magically going to do something for him they couldn’t do for Bennett? One thing is for sure, if Kirby had gone to JT the sacks would have gone way up. A strong arm and quick release are worthless without receivers that can create at least a modicum of separation. The only way JT could have helped tonight was if he could run routes and get open.

• Options
    DawgnSCDawgnSC Posts: 111 ✭✭✭ Junior

Call a spade a spade Mike, I totally agree!

• Options
    DawgnSCDawgnSC Posts: 111 ✭✭✭ Junior

Excited all week for that train wreck! Totally wet the bed, Kirby Smart did!

• Options
    VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 348 ✭✭✭ Junior

This broken record is getting old. So tired of UGA not being able to get past Bama especially when we had the vastly more talented team.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Where’s the commenter mocking young last week

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby should have consulted the d coordinator at auburn used to coach at Vandy lanning Kirby mud champ couldn’t figure out how to get 1 sack or turnover

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

With all due respect, you must have been a throw up machine before Kirby when this time of year Dawg fans were planning their bowl trips to somewhere between Nashville, Orlando and Shreveport! Or, just maybe that was more in your comfort zone.

I will take a loss in an SEC championship game with still a possibility of a natty a hundred out of hundred to a win over some middle of the pack Big 12 team in the Weedeater Bowl!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Spot on MontanaDawg....as usual. Bennett needs to walk away and take up a nice cushy plumbing career. He is no match for elites. Kirby needs to wipe the sand from his eyes. He thinks Stetson just need to improve??? What??? Oh my, forget 2022...if this kid stays on. Maybe Brock Vandagriff can be developed? By whom? I sort of feel JT will leave. Just have that feeling.

I predicted UGA a double digit winner too....I apologize. It won't happen again.

Bad night all way round. PS..UGA may not make the playoffs. That was a bad beating. UGA does not look top 4. I M O!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Again, it's the little things that separate Daniels and Bennett. Having the quicker release really does make a difference; it's a major reason why we couldn't get a decent pass rush on Young. And wide receivers not getting separation? With a more accurate passer, those receivers WILL BE open, or he can throw them open. I GUARANTEE that if JT Daniels and George Pickens both start, George will have more than 2 catches and and they'll be substantial catches, too. I LOVE Brock Bowers, but there is NO WAY a true freshman tight end should be our leading receiver -- and by a lot! And speaking of accuracy, it seems like a small thing but Bennett almost always underthrows the deep ball. It happened on the one Pickens actually caught. It happened on the Ladd McConkey interference call. Had Bennett put that where it should have been, it would have been a touchdown. Those things tend to get overlooked because we all cheer the interference call, or the receiver makes a great catch -- like the first half catch by Bowers when he hurt himself leaping for a high pass when he was wide open -- but in big games like today, those seemingly small things make a difference. Play Daniels and I'm pretty sure we'll do better than 25 percent conversion on 3rd down. And while Daniels may throw an interception -- because all quarterbacks do -- it won't be because he was fooled by the defense. When he returned in the Missouri game, people talked about the rust he had on him. And he did. But if Kirby would have just rolled with him from that point and let him work off the rust, we would have won all of our regular season games -- just like we did with Bennett -- and I'm willing to bet we would have won today. I'll trade Daniels' oft-stated lack of mobility for his stronger, more accurate arm and overall better football IQ. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 175 ✭✭✭ Junior

Wrong. Those teams ended up in those bowls because that's where they belonged. This team was Kirby's best. It had everything in front of them. To finally show the world that there is no talent gap and we could take out Alabama. Instead they wet the bed. Alabama has become the new Florida.

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2021

Watching Michigan steamroll Iowa. Not sure how you cannot move them up to number 1. Bama at 2. Cinn at 3 and then UGA backs into #4. Georgia is lucky that there is not another deserving 1 loss team. If OSU had beaten Oregon, UGA would be watching the playoffs and playing Baylor again in the Sugar Bowl.

• Options
    zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 412 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't often agree with you Mike, because you mostly write stuff for clicks...BUT THIS ONE IS 100% THE TRUTH. Kirby has squandered 3 leads against Bama with zero to show for it because he's doesn't know how to adjust when he get's behind. He can't manage the QB position and I have ZERO idea why the defense looked so slow and uninterested. Missed tackles, poor angles, and a secondary that looked uttlerly lost like they'd never played football before. Inexplicable. It's like Kirby coaches himself OUT of games instead of going for the jugular like Saban. Bama definitely smelled blood in the water after that first blown coverage and instead of adjusting, the defense looked even more lost. The bottom line: Bama EXPECTS to win while UGA hopes to win. I thought this was our year, but UGA isn't beating Bama if given another chance and Michigan will blow Kirby out just like today. Michigan's D and O are much better than Bama's. Maybe STET will stay another year while we lose two more 5 stars to the portal. Wouldn't surprise me a bit. I have a good friend who said earlier this week that "Georgia always chokes in the big games" and I couldn't disagree. It's become a punchline and part of the Georgia brand unfortunately.

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

“…we had the vastly more talented team”

This is a serious question - at what positions did you see “vastly more talent?” QB - no. WRs - no. O-Line - no. D-Line - even. D-Backs - no. LBs - yes.

My opinion.