Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football report card: Bulldogs fail to make grade vs. Alabama in SEC Championship Game

SystemSystem Posts: 10,484 admin
edited December 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football report card: Bulldogs fail to make grade vs. Alabama in SEC Championship Game

ATLANTA — Georgia football got put to the test by determined Alabama on Saturday afternoon, and the results had Bulldogs’ fans seeing red.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

My grading 🤣:

QB: B-

Running Backs: B+

Receivers: B-

OL: C+

DL: B-

LBs: C+

Secondary: D-

Special Teams: A-

Coaching: D-

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

Accidental empty post. 😑

• Options
    dogs_n_bravesdogs_n_braves Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

Coaching grade . . . to make up for the other article that criticizes the QB situation? Bottom line is that UGA lost because of the coaching calls. Zone coverage blown all night - sending seven and dropping four was a dream for Bama's passing game. Zero QB pressure from DL, blitzing LBs either attacked the same point - all by bull rush - or either drift into a spy right next to each other. Terrible scheme and no adjustments.

And no QB change in mid 3rd QTR. It became clear that we had to pass the ball but kept the game manger in the game who, for some reason, cannot change the play at the line and had already thrown two INTs and at least another two that should have been INTs.

Take away all the help from the referees and the offense would have had two fewer drives in the second half.

Sorry, coaches earned the loss and a failing grade.

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 188 ✭✭✭ Junior

D- is being generous on the coaching.

• Options
    HBTD80HBTD80 Posts: 6 ✭ Freshman

You grade like you are a product of the "everyone gets a trophy" generation. Here are more honest grades for select parties:

Secondary D-. How could it possibly be any higher?

D-Line C-. They looked average at best against an O-line that struggled most of the year.

QB C-. NOT the reason we lost the game (looking at you, coaches and defense), but the reason we could not keep up. Stet is a great story and decent QB, but he can't beat elite defenses OR KEEP UP WITH ELITE OFFENSES THAT GET THE BEST OF YOUR D!!!

Coaching F. or, ****. Game plan. Preparation. Adjustments. These three things specific to last night. Specific to his career, and MOST OF ALL, QB assessment. Kirby is way too prideful to admit it. Maybe an intervention (looking at you, boosters) is needed. PLAY THE MOST TALENTED GUY AND LIVE WITH THE MISTAKES THAT HE MAY MAKE (your defense will bail you out (most days)).

You can ride an elite defense a long way, but when they have an off night, you better be able to score.

But yeah Kirby, none of us that sees the obvious knows what the hell we are talking about.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’d give everyone a B- except the secondary and they are more in the D range and special teams get an A. . I didn’t feel like our receivers were getting much “separation” which made it amazingly difficult for Bennett. I was shocked after the game to see he had 340 yards passing and 30 first downs. Just a disappointing night for everyone, but hopefully we will get a mulligan and play Bama again. Go Dawgs and this season can still have a very happy ending.

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

A wake up call... Did Kirby get the wake up call? Did dawgnation get the wake up call. I wasn't even shocked or surprised. I knew that we would be tested by an offense that throws the ball deep and we would get in a shootout and we failed. We always sit the best quarterback why? Mike can you get in contact with JT's parents and see if he's in some kind of trouble? What did he tell the staff he's leaving? I don't want to hear no more of this continuity on the offense or all that other BS. I'm tired of looking at ba crying. You have to be explosive on offense and throw the ball deep he can't do that consistently he is not a drop back passer. All Alabama did was Max protect and throw the ball deep.

• Options
    TeepDawgTeepDawg Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

Not sure how almost all the grades can be As and Bs when you are losing by 3 TDs early in the 4th Quarter.

QB (C+) should be C- or D+

QB play was average at best for a regular season game, not the SEC championship. Yes, 340 yds is good, but multiple catches by receivers were on throws that didn’t hit the receiver in stride (high, behind, low, etc) so the receiver couldn’t make much YAC. QB had 2 Ints (one for a pick six and another pick 6 that was dropped by the Alabama DB on 1st drive. No dynamic runs or throws that lifted the offense. 3rd down was atrocious.

OL (B) should be (C+)

Good on most plays, but they did not control LOS to open gaping holes for run game.

RB (A-) should be B- or C+

Longest run of game was 12 yds and you think that is worthy of an A-?? Group wasn’t terrible, but again they didn’t scare Alabama either. What happened to Cook?

Receivers (B) should be C+

Bowers dominated, but we did not have WRs running wide open all game long line Alabama did. Group made some plays, but no one dominated other than Bowers.

DL (B) should be C or C-

No pressure for virtually the entire game and very few TFLs / disruption plays from this group. The Alabama O-line controlled the LOS the entire game.

LB (B-) should be C+

Not bad, but Dean was the only one making standout plays

Secondary (D+) should be F or F(-)

Multiple blown coverages and on most passing plays you could barely see a UGA DB within 5 yds of the Alabama WR. When they were within 5 yds, mostly were called for PI or holding. Alabama DBs contested almost every catch for our WRs/TEs. No such thing for us.

Coaching (B-) should be C- or D+

How can this be a B-? What wrinkles did we employ that caught Alabama off guard? How many Alabama scoring drives took less than 6 plays? Second half adjustments? Alabama scored on right out of the gate to start 3rd quarter. Punting on 4 and 15 with 7 minutes to go in game down 2TDs where Alabama runs clock out on ensuing drive and kicks FG to put us down 3 scores with like 2 minutes left on clock. Especially when you were going to go for it on 4th and 10.

I’m not sure if you cannot offer legitimate criticism, but grades of all As and Bs for everyone except QB and Secondary in a blowout loss is mind boggling. A three score loss and everyone gets As and abs. Good grief.This was a whole team loss. Other than Bowers and maybe Nakobe Dean, no one else balled out.

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I can hear it now...

"Hey Kirby, about that $100 million contract, we talked about it and we're just going to table that discussion for now. Maybe we can talk about it in February. Thanks."

Seems to me he took part in a little tasting of his own "rat poison." You never, ever play to "not lose" against a team that is playing to win.

• Options
    GoodLifeGoodLife Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior

Here are my observations...

1) Kirby needs to figure out the QB position - period. Most all teams that have won the natty have done it with an elite QB under center. Clemson is a perfect example - Boyd, Watson, Lawrence, etc. Alabama's QBs speak for themselves. Now consider who UGA has.

2) Where have the big, explosive UGA RBs gone? Alabama ALWAYS have big, fast, agile RBs that can get 4 yards a carry. Where are the Gurley's Chubbs, Michels, & Swift's?

Our defense is really good, even though our secondary played poorly last night. But I questioned early on in the season if we had the offense to win a natty.

The good news is that we still have the talent/depth to win it all. At this level, and at this stage of the game, it boils down to coaches putting all these 4&5 star players in a position to win games. Saban does it better than anyone. Even when Alabama loses, it is by a very small margin, and not getting blown out like we did last night.

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Wow…..kinda generous. With grading that generous, ever think of teaching O-chem?

other factors that should have been graded:

Focus: F

missed assignments and poor tackling even by our stars.

Energy: F

the defense was never fired up in this game. I’d really like to k ow if giving Bryce young 4 seconds to throw was part of the game plan or if there was an illness on the team.

think about it, 17, 99, 44, and 41 were not mentioned at all yesterday.

Adjustments; D

you can’t wait until after the first drive of the second half to make second half adjustments

watching that game it’s like Georgia ate the rat poison and licked the bowl.

Here’s hoping to make the playoffs and I thanked my wife I didn’t waste money on going to watch a game that the team I’d hoped to see didn’t show.

• Options
    StiffneckStiffneck Posts: 82 ✭✭✭ Junior

The defense **** all night long. Completely exposed. Broken coverages and wide open receivers. What an embarrassing performance.

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 188 ✭✭✭ Junior

We threw the ball 48 times. Missing on 21 of those.

The way to beat Alabama if you don't have an elite quarterback is to keep their offense off of the field running the ball chewing up clock and scoring which we are more than capable of doing.

Kenny Mac looked good, Zamir and Cook were basically taken out of the game by the play calling. Just baffling especially considering that we've seen this movie before. Kirby will never be a great coach until he learns the way to win a National Championship at Georgia is by running the ball.

I just don't get why the coaches think that we can match them score for score throwing the ball without an elite quarterback..

Screw the balance thing. I'd rather win ****.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I’m usually a Kirby believer but last night when he took the more talented team to play the more talented Coached team, he failed to be elite. The game planning by Coach Saban proved to be superior as well as the in game adjustments. Coach Saban took what had all year been an elite defensive front 7 and neutralized them with his game plan. Saban basically thanked the media in his post game press conference saying “you guys provided positive rat poison, usually you provide fatal rat poison to us but this time you provided positive poison”. Saban just smiled because he knew Georgia ate that poisonous hype that the media bestowed upon us.

With all that said, if Georgia does make the playoffs, which I think they will, maybe that thumping last night will Recenter the Dawgs.

• Options
    Trey33Trey33 Posts: 133 ✭✭✭ Junior

What game was you watching

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Coaching - C, at best.

You can't be conservative against this Alabama offense. Trying to keep everything in front of you on defense and not mixing things up - not blitzing often and giving Young more time is a recipe for failure. Kirby had the defense to keep pressure on Young and give his offense a chance. Kirby failed with the gameplan.

Kirby is a very good coach, but until he learns to take chances and go for it -when necessary- he won't be elite...