Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Former UGA star offers insight on QB situation for playoffs

2»

Comments

• Options
    Ga247Ga247 Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

Really? Then explain how Nick Saban and Alabama managed to win National Championships with "game manager" QB's Jake Coker, Andrew McCarron, and Greg McElroy. Not one of them could even come close to being called an "elite" QB but they had enough talent around them to make up the difference.

You're not wrong in your opinion that SBIV isn't getting the job done but it mystifies me that everyone is so sure that JT Daniels is the answer.

Do you sincerely believe, in your heart, that Kirby Smart is so utterly **** that he wouldn't put JT in the game if he thought it would give him a better chance to win? Nobody could be that ****.

JT didn't play for a reason and neither you, or me, or anyone else outside of the coaching staff knows why. Not one of us have watched a practice, attended a QB meeting with JT and the OC staff, or been in that locker room. What we do know is that he was a "five star" recruit with a cannon for an arm but what good is that arm if he can't read a defense or move fast enough to get out of his own way? All that five star rating means, when it's all said and done, is that he was great in high school. Ryan Leaf was a "Five Star" NFL prospect the entire time he was at Washington State and was an utter disaster in the NFL.

I'm not saying any of this to advocate for Stetson, but to be so sure that the answer is sitting on the bench when we have NO idea what the coaching staff knows is just absurd.

And when you get down to it, if you watched that mess last night, the QB position is only one of our problems. Anybody using the word "elite" with that defense, pass coverage in particular, is just delusional.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

Glad we are taking advice from a former DEFENSIVE player. I notice you didn’t ask Fromm, Murray, Greene, Shockley, etc for input. .

• Options
    DawggolferDawggolfer Posts: 49 ✭✭✭ Junior

Needed 650 lb. Stacey Abrams on the defensive line to shame the Alabama line into submission.

• Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Striking contrast yesterday that no one on the UGA or Network broadcast mentioned, even in passing:

Bryce Young (Pasadena, CA) | Mater Dei H.S. | MaxPreps Co-Player of the year (2019) with DJ Uiagalelei (St. John's Bosco) | Pretty good QB.

JT Daniels (Irvine, CA) | Mater Dei H.S. | All-Time leader in passing yards (12,000+) and TD's (152), breaking all Matt Barkley records, even though Daniels skipped his Senior H.S. season | started and given full play-calling responsibilities as a Freshman | Junior Year, National Gatorade Player of the Year, National Male Athlete of the Year, team consensus #1 team in the nation | Pretty good QB.

Yeah, OK, so those are H.S. facts. But JT Daniels was on the pre-season Heisman watch list this year for a reason.

I recently predicted that JT would never take another snap at UGA and would be playing somewhere else next season. I hope to be wrong, on both counts. But it certainly looks like Kirby Smart can't make himself hit Pause on his personal "Rudy" movie.

And now? At this point? Without game reps or even practice reps with the 1's - it's a bit much to look for a Superman to replace Rudy on the play-list.

The noted expert (that's sarcasm) Brandon Adams on the post-game broadcast said there was no way to "know" what JT Daniels would have done if he'd played. Well, that's a bit obvious. The point isn't that JT Daniels would have come in and saved the day. The point is - as noted by numerous comments - doing something rather than nothing is probably worth a try.

Think back to another UGA/AL game. Nick Saban pulled his starting QB and snatched a very big game from UGA's grasps. Who does that? Someone who has the coaching IQ and the guts to be bold and decisive in response to the game on the field.

Maybe KS needs to become head recruiter and leave the O, D, and ST to Monken, Lanning, and Muschamp. After all, the supposed defensive genius, KS, was a D-Back. Anybody see that secondary running around like lost chickens yesterday?

OK, that's harsh. But there are a lot of pissed off Dawgs out here. Maybe Kirby needs to remove his ear plugs, and his rose-colored glasses. If anybody needs a "wake-up call" it might be the coach.

• Options
    RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 175 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2021

The Bennett and Kirby supporters are delusional. You have a scheme where the best QB on the team and season starter does not get any reps and somehow it’s his fault for not being prepared for the SECCG or playoffs? Frankly fans like that are the reason there is no accountability in Athens.

Why aren’t the reporters pressing to interview JT?

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Posts: 163 ✭✭✭ Junior

Remembrances of Justin Fields. Sticking with a quarterback out of loyallty instead of what's needed to win. JTD should have been put back in to the lineup as soon as he was healthy.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

I commented on another thread about what little sense this all makes. People say Smart just likes Bennett more, that it's a "good ol' boy" system, etc. But if it were that simple, Daniels never would have been the starter this year to begin with. I'll add the "Smart doesn't want to hurt anyone's feelings" explanation to the list. To whatever extent he would have to hurt Bennett's feelings, he's hurting Daniels'. I mean, you tell the guy he's your starter, then you have to tell him we don't want you back after you've worked so hard to get back into position to take the job? Seems like a pretty uncomfortable conversation to have to have. Plus, to state an even more obvious point, think about how insanely irresponsible it would be for a coach to handle this situation like that. Not playing the guy who you yourself already acknowledged was the best man for the job just because you don't want to disappoint someone else? I'm just going to have to see some hard evidence of that before I can accept it.

I'm done trying to make sense of it. Hopefully, whatever the reason is, the entire coaching staff has recognized that it's been trumped by circumstance, and they have to go with Daniels for these next 1-2 games. For as likeable and easy to root for as he is, the team's ceiling with Bennett is firmly established, and it just isn't high enough.

• Options
    deputydogdeputydog Posts: 132 ✭✭✭ Junior

With the talent at Georgia and the schedule we, there are only a couple games each year where an elite level QB will make the difference. Hand over heart, Georgia did not one a game this year, Bennett was the reason we won. There was a reason JT won the job coming into the season. Only Smart knows the reasons for his decisions. Lots of debate coming in the next 3 weeks.

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yes Auburn did provide a blueprint on how to contain the Bama offense. The reason they were able to do what they did was because their secondary could play man coverage. This is something the UGA defense could not do. They had little opportunity to do this in actual games against a good quarterback with good receivers.

• Options
    ChicagoDawgChicagoDawg Posts: 438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

After sitting in the end zone and watching Saturday's debacle, I observed several issues. On numerous occasions we had some great matchups where our guy beat the guy covering them, but never got a look from our QB. There were several times he tried to force the ball into place where one white jersey was blanketed by 2 or 3 crimson jerseys while never seeing the open man.

How do you deal with this issue?

Bowers, Pickens, Burton, Washington, Jackson, Fitz, Ladd. These are all guys who figure to have a future on Sunday. This means you have the Receivers to win at the college level. Cook and McIntosh are both strong catching the ball out of the backfield and can be effective spread out as well. So, you need a QB who can look over the matchups at the line of scrimmage and quickly see what he needs to do with the ball. The UGA QB who has demonstrated a strong ability to do this never played Saturday. He also has demonstrated a stronger ability to hit open receivers who are open deep.

It had to be obvious to anyone who the best QB was on the field yesterday. BY showed why he will likely win the Heisman. Has anyone thought about the fact that Bama's QB was the backup to our Second string QB in High School? Could this mean that our backup might be a lot closer to the level of QB Bama had out there than the Guy we played? Yes, our same backup who sees the field better and has a stronger arm.

I love Stet. He is a great story. The simple truth that what we saw Saturday is Stet playing to the best of his abilities. He is plenty good enough for our team to beat most teams. I thought going in that we were playing with our second best QB, but, what the heck, I thought we were going to kick Bama's ass anyway. I was wrong. Most Dawg fans were wrong. These next two games we need to put the QB out there who gives us the best chance to win. His name is JT Daniels. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    Ga247Ga247 Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

While we're remembering the great Justin Fields, remind us how many National Championships he and Jacob Eason won. I seem to recall it's the exact same number as Jake Fromm: ZERO

I asked this question in an earlier post but I'll ask it again. Do you seriously believe, with all that was at stake yesterday, that Kirby Smart is so utterly s-t-u-p-i-d that he wouldn't put JT in if he thought it would given him the best chance to win the game?

If your answer is yes, then I have no idea what to tell you other than I don't believe it for a minute.

If your answer is no, then you have to come to the conclusion that maybe, just maybe, Kirby knows something we don't.

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 369 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't get the knocks on Fromm. He was winning the NC and would have if not for a defensive lapse that cost us the winning touchdown. Fromm had alabama beaten and you folks seem to forget that. And remember, bama only came back AFTER changing their quarterback after the half. That, was on the defense, not Fromm.

With that said, I never think your number one loses his job due to injury. Yes, I thought back then that Eason should have been put back in when he was healed but again, Fromm had alabama beaten till the defensive miss on the last play of the game in overtime.

And if fields had not lied about the University of Georgia and bolted his lying self north, he'd have had a great career in Athens.

The Bennett thing has me completely flummoxed.

• Options
    ypcregypcreg Posts: 252 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Really, no realistic change we can make that would make people honestly believe will make a difference other than QB change. I understand all the reasons why SBIV should be our QB, but unless coaches really believe they have other necessary changes to make that would really make a difference, we just have to try this even as the last resort.

Besides that, we really have to have some pass rush. It's time for TS to show he really deserve that pay check.

• Options
    plrdawgplrdawg Posts: 157 ✭✭✭ Junior

Yeah, BUT, we could not cover their receivers in zone coverage, with nickel and dime, 5 DB's and 3-4 rushing. Might as well run everyone at him to stop the explosive plays,,,,we did not get them off the field until we ran 5-6 at the QB(exactly what Auburn did all game) until midway in 3rd quarter

• Options
    plrdawgplrdawg Posts: 157 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kirby lost this game because of hard-headedness on the QB issue, AND the defensive philosophy from the first game planning,,, after not recognizing the Auburn film gifts.