Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia stock report: Nakobe Dean wins Butkus Award, Brock Bowers explodes

SystemSystem Posts: 10,428 admin
edited December 2021 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia stock report: Nakobe Dean wins Butkus Award, Brock Bowers explodes

ATHENS — Georgia football is hitting the reset button, with a historically successful regular season giving way to a disappointing SEC Championship Game and now transitioning to the College Football Playoffs.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    JimmyJimmy Posts: 20 ✭✭ Sophomore

Apparently Kirby is more interested in being right about the QB then winning the game. There was no way they were going to win Saturday with Bennett playing the way he did and there is no way they will ever beat bama with him as the starter. I would be glad to eat my words but it’s not going to happen. It’s funny how Saban will do whatever it takes to win but Kirby will not change no matter what.

• Options
    jackbmattjackbmatt Posts: 121 ✭✭✭ Junior

Taken to the woodshed and nobody's stock is down? To suggest the DB's stock is "even" is laughable.

• Options
    jrmdvm1jrmdvm1 Posts: 130 ✭✭✭ Junior

What is up with posted articles not being able to take comments? I tried to post the following in a different article, but it applies here too.

Kirby has lost two games to Alabama where Saban changed quarterbacks when we were controlling the quarterback who started. Given that Alabama had obviously prepared for what Stetson brought to the table, why not give JT a look against them, and not just for a single series. Of course, after not giving JT any meaningful snaps after he was cleared to play, it becomes "reasonable" not to change to him in this game....."too much rust". Even so, I cannot believe that JT was that much worse than Stetson in practice since he was cleared to play. I haven't seen practices, I don't know if JT still has lingering effects from his injury, and I don't know if JT is being "protected" at his ( or his parents ) request. I would love to know the answers to those questions. Don't get me wrong. I believe that Stetson can win against anybody, but not when we are willing to abandon the offensive game plan that works with his skill set. We failed to play "complementary" football. And, it seems to me that we failed to prepare our QB's and receivers for the "disguises" that Alabama had for their coverages. Routes for zone coverage may fail when suddenly coverages are man to man or even hybrid coverages. Maybe our receivers would have created better openings if they had been able to recognize the actual coverage pre-snap. Maybe JT would have been more able to "see" what was coming, or perhaps, respond to the coverages better, but I am not sure about that. I think this was a coaching preparation failure, and a failure to adjust the play calling during the game to "beat" Alabama's coverages. And on the defensive side, we had very little outside pass rush ( missing Adam Anderson? ) and kept using twists on the DL when Alabama was obviously prepared for them. Coaching apparently failed the defensive backs, resulting in multiple completely open receivers for Alabama. I maintain hope though. Saban used the "rat poison" about us to motivate his team, and nearly completely turned around his offensive line play. We were soundly beaten by Auburn in 2017 and came back in the championship game to dominate them. Oklahoma "had our number" in the Rose Bowl game, and we adjusted and wound up winning that game. Beat Michigan, and then beat Alabama! Go DAWGS!!

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The last 3 should have been stock down.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@jackbmatt Some didn't like the idea of "stock down" -- it was too harsh. We don't want to upset anyone, but we do want to provide analysis that lets fans know who is impressing most, or not impressing.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What did Joe Burrow have that contributed greatly to his elite status? Three NFL wide receivers. Same question about Mac Jones. Four NFL wide receivers. Brice Young: at least two very elite wide receivers.

There is so much discussion about our QBs that the marginal status of our wide outs is totally overlooked. It doesn’t matter who our QB is if the receivers don’t create some separation. With all the talk about “elite” this year, the position group that is no where near that status is the receiver group. That may have more to do with Bennett starting than any other factor.

• Options
    GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Trying to look on the brightside of all of this, I am excited for the Michigan playoff game. I know they will be a challenge with their balanced team, but this will give Georgia a really good idea if any of their changes to the offense or defense is working before we play Bama again. I look for this to be a quality tuneup before the BIG game.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There is a you tube video going round with a Bama player going off the deep end boasting : "they (UGA) thought they would whup us." Well, most everyone did think UGA would whup them. Georgia may get the chance to get the job done in January after beating Michigan and facing down Bama once again. I truly believe if it gets that far...UGA will beat them this time...and beat them good. So let them brag and swag...they earned the right....but there will be a next time......!

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

No. Stock even was pretty fair for SB. Unfortunately, his stock price was not high enough to beat Bama. Had we been playing Notre Dame, Cincinnati, Oklahoma, his even stock price would win. His stock needed to soar to beat Bama. I don't think you can ask any more from him, then what he gave. He gave his best. But his best wasn't good enough. He will always be a DGD. But he's not good enough to beat Bama.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

@ShoottheHooch...Well, consider this: Bama's two prime elite wide receivers this season have been Williams and Metchie, but no one else on their roster has more than 400 receiving yards this season. Metchie was out in Q2 during the game Saturday and didn't come back at all. He is gone for the season. Bolden is next man up. Billingsley also got a couple of catches on Saturday. So, now Bama has ONE elite receiver and that's it.

Georgia has a much deeper and better receiving group than Alabama, yet we still lost. Stet kept going to Bowers even if we wasn't open or wasn't in Stet's progression. He threw 2 interceptions, and it could have easily been 3 or 4. I think JT would be better able to take advantage of our plethora of top receivers than Stet. In fact, we have the best receiving group in the playoffs, and if you add in passes to the RBs and TEs then good gosh, we are SO LOADED on offense it's mind boggling.

We have NO excuses on offense at all. It's just playing the right people and calling the right plays. And with Daniels, the entire playbook should be open.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good for Nakobe! He deserves it..

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

@BigMike...Totally agree. We have NO excuses on defense either. I was talking offense, so I didn't even broach that side of the equation. As Saban said, in this day and age a #1 defense isn't enough to win you a Championship. You've got to have to have a powerful offense too. On paper, it certainly appears we have both, yet we were embarrassed on Saturday. Everyone I talked to was simply shocked at our performance. It was pitiful on both sides of the ball honestly. Certainly not Championship quality.

Our problem leading up to the clash with Bama was that we hadn't really been tested. So how good were we honestly? I mean Clemson is ranked #19 now, Arkansas #21, Kentucky #22. No other GA opponent is even ranked in the Top 25. We had cruised to the Championship on both sides of the ball. I mostly throw out the Clemson game, because it was the first game of the season and it was predicted to be a battle. But after that it was easy for us. Yet, Bama had struggled to win several games later in their season, so they really understood their strengths and weaknesses. We had never even had to play from behind! Heck, it was TOO easy for us this season. Maybe we became too complacent. We probably needed this wake-up call earlier in the season. Instead, we got it on the National stage against our nemisis Bama who now can laugh, shake their heads, and add another GA notch on their bedpost.

So, we still have no excuses, but NOW we SHOULD understand where we are weak, vulnerable, and what needs fixing against the elite teams. And we've got lots to fix.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Burrow and Jones had great receivers for sure. So does Young. BUt make no mistake, maybe some can't see it, but Young can sling it with the best I've ever seen in college and he's only a freshman. All of the above QB's and I feel certain Young also will be (were) drafted in the 1st round and are starting(have started) in their 1st year in the NFL. Not to mention Tua and Hurts. Saban winning the QB game- and probably another NC, becasue of it.

We get highly draftable QB's and they ride the pines.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Our only elite wide receiver is coming off a major knee injury. Our most productive wide receiver was on the scout team last year and was only a small step ahead of walk on status coming out of high school.

Other than McKonkey, the other of what your calling “plethora of outstanding receivers” have had some outstanding moments but many more drops this year.

If JT had lit up Cincinnati last year and Clemson, the two best teams he’s played against as a Dawg but not great by any stretch, I would be completely on board with the rest of you that question Kirby’s ability to evaluate QBs. Not only did he not light up those two teams, we were very lucky to escape with wins based heavily on the pedestrian play at QB. But, I don’t gripe just for the sake of griping and I base my evaluations on what I see and actual results. I’m just not big on pretending and make believe. I have no problem deferring to Kirby and Monken to make the correct QB decisions.