Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia football podcast: UGA fans’ QB concerns briefly overshadow Playoff excitement

Comments

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I read all comments and some are very statistically sound, but what caught my interest mostly was BubbaBill's comment, which I copied out of its context: "The information regarding JT, his parents and California coach all being in Knoxville before the game a few weeks ago clearly tells me something is amiss…..and Kirby may be limited in what he can divulge." Spot on, Bill. Kirby is hiding something....there is no doubt of this. Also, Kirby sends JT out in the Tech game I believe and ...not one pass? That is what JT does ...pass! Also, the parents, the QB coach from CA....intrigue. Where was JT? On the bench. JT is a good Dawg...he has not told Kirby goodbye and off to the portal...if he is healthy? No, this is not a contest betwixt the two QBs..uh uh...it is something going on with JT Daniels. This young talent is a very good QB and should be shown deference of some kind...if healthy? It was Kirby's idea to grab him from the portal originally. This whole mess is a mystery.

• khummelkhummel Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

What is equally baffling is how a team like Georgia... with its recruiting prowess, world class facilities, topnotch staff, superb education, incredible host city and fan base, etc... could be in a predicament where it doesn't have 2 NFL-potential quarterbacks fully ready to immediately take the wheel. I'm still keeping fingers crossed that we have very good football left in us this year, and future years are less mysterious with respect to the QB position.

• BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

I’m fascinated by this 3rd down conversion statistic that is floating around regarding JTs prowess. Also, the 7-0 record is exaggerated. Upon further review you will note that JT has hideous 3rd down conversion stats against the only 2 winning teams he has faced. In fact, he was 1 for 11 against Cincinnati. As far as that 7-0 stat…..I’m certain that Stetson would have also won all 7 of those games and likely would have scored at least 1 TD against Clemson….something JT couldn’t do. Funny how the haters will blast Stetson for only scoring 24 points each time against #1 Bama teams while they put JT on a pedestal for scoring 3 points against #19 Clemson. I just don’t get it. BTW, did JT face Bama twice on the road in those 7-0 stats? Did he face a very good Florida team on the road while playing significantly injured? The answer is “heck no”….JT doesn’t play when injured.

The truth hurts and some folks just can’t handle the truth…..especially if the facts don’t align with their thinking. Love the thumbs down votes when the facts are presented.

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's plain to see. Daniels reads the defense much faster. Has better field vision and processes through his read progressions faster than Bennett. Bennett's 13 of 44 3rd-4th down completion percentage is just not getting it done at a high enough rate.

Bennett gives you a run threat. That is Bennett's only advantage over Daniels. Any two - minute offense needs to complete passes for first downs. Many of those on 3rd and (name the yardage) Daniels gives you a better chance of being successful in that type of situation.

edited December 2021

So, is that why JT led us on 2 TD drives TOTAL against the #8 and #19 teams. That included 1 TD pass in 2 games…….while Stetson accounted for 48 points in 2 games against the #1 team. I guess you are saying it’s better to have great vision and never score. Makes a lot of sense to me. You must be one of those fans who love to bash Stetson for only scoring 24 points against the #1 team and you applaud JT for scoring 3 points against the #19 team. I totally get it….I think.

• GramsterGramster Posts: 81 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'll say it again, for most Dawg fans I know it is NOT about JT's prowess or Stetson's inability...it is about 24 points twice against a better than the average very fast defense. It is about Kirby stating that he has full faith in Stetsons AND JT, yet with nothing to lose and trailing by 17 he didn't even consider JT as an option.

Personally I am a numbers nerd, and as such I am more concerned that only ONE of the last 21 SECCG would have been won with 24 points. Further, averaging 24 points in the SECCG in the last 11 years when it takes averaging 43 points would equal zero SECCGs. Here's one more stat to chew on, the average points by the winner of the CFP Natty is 40.5 points. Further, 24 points would not have won a single one of those 7 finals. We know what Stetsons limitations are, and maybe he is the better choice over JT, but if Kirby has full faith in JT yet is good with sending Stetson back out there a third time just hoping that 24 points will be enough, so be it. He's the coach.

Gramster,

I don’t disagree that we need to score more than 24, but I’m absolutely positive you wouldn’t get that from JT. He couldn’t score more than 3 points against #19 Clemson. Good grief

Also, the much adored Justin Fields only scored 24 points against Bama last year in the NC game, hit 51% of his passes for 194 yards and 1TD. I’m a numbers guy just like you and I can clearly see Fields should have been benched based on your logic. BTW, the Fields led team lost 52-24 so he needed to score a lot more points, even more than Bennett failed to do.

also, the year before, Trevor Lawrence in the NC game only scored 25 points and hit 48% of his passes (zero TD passes) so I would have benched his sorry a$$ too based on your logic.

• ponceinletdawgfanponceinletdawgfan Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman

I’d add to this, most people on here are not trashing SB. I think most are saying if SB’s not getting it done, why not try something else? If JT was playing and not getting it done, I’d assume most would agree in that case to try SB…

• MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 324 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm personally tired of the QB controversy, my thinking is in line with those who believe we're not getting the truth about JT Daniels. I don't care at this point who we trot out the next game, maybe two. I wonder what we look like next year, does the QB situation get any clearer? Daniels and Bennett have another year of eligibility. We have Beck, Vandigriff and Stockton coming in. We're overly rich in the QB room but still have no "elite" leadership, that's on CKS.

• gafanlivinginalgafanlivinginal Posts: 68 ✭✭✭ Junior

What I don't understand is why Smart did borrow a page from Saban's playbook and play the backup QB midway thru the 3rd qtr? It's worked twice against GA.

• HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ummm… the discussion has been about putting up 35-42 points, not running one drive, or scoring 3 points… 🤣

• 99nout99nout Posts: 233 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think the theory that something is up with Daniels that isn't being communicated is the reason we keep seeing Bennet in games. It's the only thing that makes sense. JT didn't throw a single warm up ball and his helmet was nowhere to be seen the entire game. He knew he wasn't going in.

The real question is, "Why aren't we seeing some actual journalism here? Why haven't one of the dawgnation hacks put their detective hats on gotten to the bottom of this."

That's what real journalists do.

• Beachbike2000Beachbike2000 Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman

What the heck is up with JT and why the heck didn't he get any reps in the Bama game??

• HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

From Aaron Murray, an assessment with which I agree:

“If I had to rank them in order of what cost Georgia the game against Alabama, it would be d-line (first). No pressure at all. You should have dominated. There’s no reason why Auburn and LSU and all these other teams can put pressure on Bryce Young but the best defensive line in America couldn’t sniff him. D-line, issue No. 1. Second issue: DBs. Out of position over and over and over again. Double-coverage guys, and give credit, Williams has elite speed, he has world-class speed, he ran through double-teams left and right, but still there was an issue with the secondary that was glaring throughout the ball game. But I still think the defensive line, if you’re able to get pressure, you don’t give the quarterback that much time to throw the ball down the field.

“Third issue: receivers. Besides (Brock) Bowers, if you watch the coach’s tape, no one is open. No one. The biggest plays they had were screen plays, easy hitters that then they could run because of great blocking. They could not get open down the field.

“Stetson played great in the first half, and then the second half… The first interception you could blame him, the tight end kinda stopped running, a little bit both. The second interception I’ll put on Stetson. But Stetson was not the main reason why Georgia lost the football game. There were plenty of other issues that need to be corrected against Alabama if they’re gonna wanna beat them in a second opportunity if they do make it to a national championship.”