Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What is and isn’t fixable for Georgia football as it enters College Football Playoff

SystemSystem Posts: 10,478 admin
edited December 2021 in Article commenting
imageWhat is and isn’t fixable for Georgia football as it enters College Football Playoff

Georgia football has some issues it needs to fix in the College Football Playoff.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If Stetson does start for Georgia in the playoffs, I hope he is on a short leash. We just cannot have series where we are in the red zone and not scoring points OR throwing the ball to people that are not on our team. We have two premiere TEs, also Pickens - why oh why are we not throwing all three out there in a red zone situation and creating nightmares for the defense? I hope there is alot of soul searching on both sides of the ball and this coaching staff is willing to reinvent some things that are not working. Follow the Saban model - if it is not working - FIX IT.

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Stetson is a great guy and a pretty good qb. But, he's had two chances at Bama - time to make the change. By the way, Kirby has had 4 chances at Bama - I wonder if he realizes that people might one day feel the same about him. Time to work harder - doing the same thing and expecting a different result is the epitome of **** - Not SMART.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

JT was 26-38 passing for 392 yards in the Peach Bowl . Not too shabby, and he did lead the drive that led to the winning FG. Was he perfect? No! Was Young last Sat? No. I think he left some on the bone and still set records. That's whats scary.

• Options

Plus Cincy shut down the run game.

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Still shocked at the game plan for the SEC championship game. It certainly seems like it was poorly designed and executed and hopefully we go back to who we have been with 1 exception; QB. Bennett deserves all his accolades and more and now we have to deal with what we know vs think. We know Bennett can’t win these type games; we don’t know if Daniels is capable but we think so. Playing with house money now; can’t go with what we know doesn’t work and now need to prepare for what we think gives us the best shot - Daniels.

• Options
    Ugagolf80Ugagolf80 Posts: 73 ✭✭✭ Junior

My guess is he starts Stet against Michigan, but if he falters, even a little, then JT will go in and stay until the playoff run ends.

• Options

There were 2-3 drives late in the game last week where the play calling was way too conservative for the score. If I'm not mistaken we had two successive possessions where we ran on1st and 2nd down, even though the run had not been working,and forced SB to have to convert 3rd and long. Which he couldn't get on the same page as the receivers, and missed them badly. Just run up the middle against BAMA or bring the RB all the way across the formation, a play that takes a couple of seconds to develop? Come'on man. THat's totally unimaginative!

I still see too many passing plays where it just looks like all the receivers run down the field 20 yards and turn around with no crossing routes or a safety valve underneath. Do better!

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’ve been on a roller coaster of emotions since Saturday and I’ve come to grips with something.

JT Daniels is hurt.

no other explanation here. The kid has arm talent and yes indeed he did win a shootout game last yr for Georgia against miss state. The defense could not stop miss state throwing drag routes and we needed our offense to carry the defense. Don’t get me wrong, Bama and miss state are vastly different but what happened is what happened.

I think we’d all be naive to think we know this team better than the coaches that spend countless hours with them. And we as fans know JT has his own qb coach along with personal orthopedic consultant. So the kid is coached to the 9’s and we’ve seen both throwing deep balls in games and we see what JT brings to the party so I’m sure all of the coaches have seen this as well. Yet they “never considered “ playing him Saturday.

Im telling ya he’s still too hurt to play.

it’s not smart being stubborn, Stetson being his favorite, it’s not Bennett’s wheels or anything else like that.

so….. all of that being said. Get well soon JT we need a gun slinger who can keep safety’s further than 12 yards deep.

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2021

And I read somewhere that uga changed up the coverages for Bama. UGA had the nation's top defense, coming into the Bama game. It wasn't broke. Why was it fixed? I'm confident the coaching staff will make the necessary preparations for the next two games. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Guys....listen to Smart....listen......."We have a decision to make every week at every position, but I have the utmost confidence in Stetson Bennett,” Smart said. “We have to be able to run the ball and have a little bit of semblance of balance, and I felt like there was times tonight where we were getting into a scoring contest because our defense didn’t get stops. And you don’t want to have to do that.

“But I certainly have a lot of confidence in Stetson, .......................and I have a lot of confidence in J.T. too.”

JT is an after thought...being almost patronizingly kind to him. I do not see JT playing for UGA again...unless Bennett breaks an arm or leg...God forbid. Monken is turning Smart into an RPO believer....JT is not an RPO type, and Bennett is mediocre. His long balls can be good but can be off target as we saw with Bama. You cannot win in the playoffs with these type bad throws. One pick gave Bama 6 pts. UGA needs to fix the fixable and forget the unfixable. I am still not sure what is fixable? I lost my rose-colored glasses! But I always have HOPE!

• Options
    Classof98Classof98 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭ Junior

I like Stetson and he’s played (mostly well), but I gotta say it…. Didn’t Smart have him from 2017 through August 2020 yet still thought D’Wan Mathis gave us “the best chance to win” in the opener against Arkansas?

(I understand Bennett spent a year at JUCO during that timeline).

His coaches and teammates may not feel it, but I feel more confident with Daniels in the game.

There, I said it.

Go Stet. Go JT. Go dogs.

• Options
    UGA64UGA64 Posts: 125 ✭✭✭ Junior

JT beat the #4 Seed in the playoffs Cincy last year! He threw for 392 yds. 26/38 1 TD 1 INT. We brought him here to help us win at a High Level. To win the Natty, he must get 1st team reps until New Year's Eve. I feel like KS didn't use him effectively when he got healthy Nov. 6. He barely played. If he doesn't play in the playoffs, he will enter the transfer portal after our season is over. I think SB has played with grit and passion and has done the best he can. To be Elite you must use your Elite players.

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

As it became apparent that Bama would win, and having followed dawgnation, I knew both Bennett and Kirby would be eaten alive for the results. Few fans either this year or last are willing to admit that this was a total team loss.

Kirby was put in a no win situation with his decision on the quarterback position. Had he benched Bennett and replaced him with Daniels and Daniels did not win the game, Kirby would have been hammered for making the change and not sticking with Bennett.

as far as Daniels, I hope he gets his opportunity but unlike the majority I do not view him as a savior. I have forgotten how Daniels is when he is forced off his spot. I do know he has limited mobility and is very fragile. He may start but I would not bet he will finish the game.

there are indeed many things that need to be addressed. I would expect Saban also has a long list of things to fix too.

hopefully the coaching staff does not develop a game plan to win the SECCG, because that game has passed. I feel certain Saban will have a different plan going forward to address the changes he anticipates Kirby will make.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"say you need a better game plan". UGA was clearly outcoached. Embarrassingly outcoached. “They’re dynamic against zone, their numbers are just staggering when you play zone against them,” And yet, with AU showing the way, CKS had them playing zone? AL scored on 5 straight possessions. Could playing more man or the younger DB's really have been less effective? Georgia got only 17 points on five red zone trips. That will not cut it. We have seen the ceiling of SBIV. The only chance to beat AL seems to be sell out for pressure, SPY the dang QB(!) , mix in SOME zone with the man to man and try to win a shootout w/JTD at QB.

• Options
    JimBobDeweyJimBobDewey Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

The definition of insanity is "doing the same thing over and over expecting to get a different result"! We need a 2021 Offense to help our defense in certain games where they're not playing up to par. This team is built like Bama circa 2007-2012. The game has evolved but will our coaches! #DawgForLife #HBTFD

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Daniels got the start first game coming out of Spring practice and was injured. Bennett came in and did a great job. After that, why would Kirby replace him. You ride the horse that got you there. I'm good with that.

Then, after another full year in the program and what -9/10 games, the results against a good but not great Alabama defense were far from what was needed, and no better than the last game against the same team, and with the same Quarterback.

Kirby and Monken see the situation from the inside, and they know better than me. But, looking at it from the outside, it looks like it's time to try that other QB out, and see what he can do...

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

So let me get this straight. If Bennett was struggling, and Kirby put in another qb to try to spark the offense, and he, also struggled, Kirby would have been hammered for replacing a struggling qb? Stetson is. DGD. But he was not the qb uga needed to win a shootout, with Bama. Twice, when Bama was down two scores to uga, Saban inserted his backup. And both times, it worked. Saban was not afraid of hurting someone's feelings. He wanted to win.