Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

As transfer portal for quarterbacks heats up, offseason questions loom for Georgia position group

SystemSystem Posts: 10,422 admin
edited December 2021 in Article commenting
imageAs transfer portal for quarterbacks heats up, offseason questions loom for Georgia position group

A number of high-profile quarterbacks have entered the transfer portal in recent days.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

Test to see if posting works on this article (they need to fix that bug).

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep, we can expect to see some transfers happen on the QB side and it's probably the best for all involved if at least some do.

• Carson Beck - Definite to transfer. No hard feelings, didn't work out. I'm sure there are many Top 25 programs that would take him in. He's from Florida. [4 stars, Rank #250]
    • Bennett - Definite to stay. No real NFL potential. Knows he'd likely be chosen as default starter for next year. Would only transfer if he felt that he wouldn't get a shot (would require a QB coach to be hired and tell him that he won't). [3 stars, 166th best Juco player]
    • Daniels - Very likely to attempt NFL Draft. With Bennett staying and Smart staying with "what works" in the QB arena, he won't get a real shot at starting. This was his year and he didn't really get a shot at it. Vandagriff will be Redshirt Freshman, Stockton coming aboard. Only play is to do well in the combine and get on a practice squad. [5 stars, Rank #16]
    • Vandagriff - Had better stay. He only was given one single throw all year, so he might be upset enough to leave but should give us another year. If he doesn't start by mid-season next year, will likely transfer. [5 stars, Rank #17]
    • Stockton - Definite to sign. This is a perfect spot for Stockton as drama and transfers should allow him to push up to the front to start in 2023. There's a lot of hype for him, but his rankings (for all that is worth) isn't as high. [4 Stars, Rank #67]

Those are my predictions...

• Options
    cincydawgcincydawg Posts: 64 ✭✭✭ Junior

This makes some sense. I've heard rumors Beck might look elsewhere, but he's currently ahead of Vandagriff. Might he stick it out to see the lay of the land in spring?

Can't JT Daniels try another school as a graduate transfer? I don't think he'd have any trouble landing on a practice squad, but I'd see him playing another year if he can.

Bennett will probably return. His only other choice is to call it a career because I don't see him making a practice squad.

• Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Ref: JT Daniels: "But injuries have kept him either or (sic) out or limited to a back-up role since the Vanderbilt game."

Simply not true. Get it straight. He's completely healthy, ready, and more than able.

From pre-season Heisman watch list to watching the Kirby Smart "Rudy" fantasy play out, while figuring out whether to head to FL, or back home to USC with Lincoln Riley.

If Smart was, in fact, smart, he'd encourage Stetson to move on, lock JT in for what would be his real senior year, re-start that high-flying offense, and bring along + develop whoever from the pack of youngsters they plan to install the following year as leader of the QB room.

But, prediction: ZERO possibility.

• Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

JT Daniels is a Junior. Previous NATIONAL player of the year on the top H.S. team in the nation. Pre-season Heisman watch. Undefeated at UGA. Exceptional stats + ridiculous 3rd down success rate. Play calling duties as a Freshman in H.S. and as a pre-normal (year early) Freshman at USC. Not, he's not going to go play on a practice squad at North Texas State. Right now, he's arguably the best QB on the UGA football team. Next year: starting somewhere else (possibly even in the SEC).

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Sometimes they go away and sometimes they don't go away."

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

All speculation. 🤣

As for me, I am much more interested in this year and how the CFP plays out. Next year will take care of itself. 😉

• Options
    chilidawg1chilidawg1 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭ Junior

If Kirby has been afraid that Daniels would lose a game for him this year, it may happen next year when Daniels transfers and leads his new team to victory over UGA.

• Options

CAn Kirby coach these guys up and pull off a 2 game run? Can Monken find a way to dissect Bama's defense and give whoever QB's some openings? CAn Kirby find a way to get pressure on Young? ANd can we find a way to bracket Williams and limit his effectiveness?

• Options

I watched the SECC insider edition last night as painful as it was to watch and BAMA's O-Line just man handled our D-Line one on one.

• Options
    robertasmithrobertasmith Posts: 11 ✭ Freshman

I dread SB4 coming back next year and the damage that would cause to the QB room. Daniels is likely to look for a new home in any event and no one could blame him. He's only got one more year to prove himself worthy of a draft choice and it's obvious it won't be in Athens. But if Bennett comes back, there's no doubt in my mind that Beck, certainly, and Vandegriff, likely, will both look elsewhere. Losing Vandegriff would especially be a real loss and I just don't see him agreeing to sit behind Bennett without a realistic chance at the starting job. Personally, I would be frustrated and discouraged if that happens.

• Options

No more 5 star QB's transferring into the UGA program. Kirby effectively doused that fire out with the JT debacle. Who in thier right mind would want to come? Of course as long as we recruit well at the position it's not a worry. We look good their for the next 3-4 years at the moment.

• Options
    BetheredgeBetheredge Posts: 198 ✭✭✭ Junior

Daniels injury was far more serious than people realize. He nearly pushed it too far against Vandy. With the Lat injury, his mind & body made adjustments to avoid the pain which caused the more serious oblique injury. The only solution outside of surgery is a lot of rest & then rebuilding his core. Thru all of this, his mechanics were way off base. He knew this & Smart very likely saved him from both a worse injury & poor play by keeping him on the bench. He will be fully recovered by New Years Day & I expect to see him during the CFP. After that his future will depend on his draft grade after leading UGA to the title. After two major injuries, I would expect him to enter the draft unless he projects very late or as an undrafted free agent. He Knows he would also have the combine to help boost his draft prospects.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2021

THIS^ Except some added provisos that ate Not Intended to tick people off but probably will. AND Kirby is well known for my next statement anyway. JT should not be Guaranteed the starting job Even if Stetson leaves. It should be an Open and Full internal competition. Best guy in practice wins the job. Then the #2 guy, #3 guy etc. I would hope that during the preseason Kirby wouldn’t even vaguely allude to Who the starter and number two guy would be. My reasons for saying that are two fold. Actually three fold: 1) Just how bad does the candidate want it ? 2) How loyal to UGA is the candidate ? 3) I KNOW, Very Aware, that excelling in practice doesn’t always equate to excelling in real game scenario But that should weigh heavily in consideration. NOW These Things Said the decision Should be Tempered with the fact that JT does have allot of experience. SO If JT meets and/or exceeds the other provisos then He should get the starting job and it would be His to Keep or Lose depending on his real game performance. ALL this is Assuming Stets leaves. If he stays then……….I’d hate to have to make the decisions were I Kirby. IF Stets leaves based Purely on Experience and Knowledge of the Playbook, one could very tentatively Assume 1) JT Daniels 2) Brock 3) Gunner It’s possible Beck could Stay and be number two. But my ample gut tells me he’s gonna hit the transfer button. Who knows ?? Like one poster already stated next year will take care of the things of it’s self. Right now Beat Michigan !! Then assuming Beat Bama !! Lol allot of Assuming in my post !! 😀

• Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    stonestone Posts: 399 ✭✭✭ Junior

Think you have to admit Bama looked pretty good for a 7-5 team.