Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

University Presidents can fix this

texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,566 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I know many will disagree with this….and some that will disagree won’t even read my entire point.

University presidents should make a stance that college athletics, regardless of sport, should be about educating young men and women.

Regardless of what many believe, college football is NOT a minor league system for the NFL. The NFL, not the NCAA, has the rule of players being out of high school 3 yrs before draft eligibility….

There are 11,000 scholarship football players in FBS and another 8,000 scholarship players in FCS. 19,000 Div 1 scholarship football players. Of those, approximately 270 each year get an opportunity for the NFL. If you stop and think about that, there is no way you can view college football as a minor league for the NFL.

If a college player hit the lottery and made it to the NFL, he has an avg career of 3.3 years. Now he’s 25-26 and without a job.

More importantly there are about 18,730 scholarship players that won’t be playing in the NFL.

Certainly a coach or university should do all they can to help their athletes, that want to pursue professional sports, prepare them for that opportunity. While also focusing and preparing for the reality it won’t happen.

So again, college football isn’t a farm system. It is a university designed to educated.

College football isn’t a right. It’s a privilege.

College presidents should view it as a privilege and stop catering to “rights” of athletes.

obviously, these football and basketball teams make the universities a lot of money. How much is far from clear. But that shouldn’t give a player the right to demand compensation or the right to break an agreement.

If a high school athlete decides he wants to play football in college, which is 100% his choice, and he is good enough to earn a scholarship… then the University should be obligated to….

1. pay athletes tuition
  2. provide tutors and guidance to help player earn degree.
  3. Provide adequate housing
  4. Provide food and adequate nutrition designed for elite athletes
  5. top medical and training and continuous medical and support for those suffering catastrophic injury
  6. any other support needed to help athletes that are doing so much for the university
  7. allow athletes to “earn” money with their NIL. Signing autographs, social media presence, doing commercials or whatever the athlete can generate because of the demand for their NIL.

The University should be obligated to do everything it can to prepare the young athlete for a career after sports.

The University is giving high school students the opportunity to attend a university they may otherwise not be able to attend.

If college football and basketball are making so much money, as many are suggesting, then all the better.

Help athletes from Olympic sports, baseball, softball, etc receive higher % of scholarship money or possibly full scholarships. Which helps educate and provide opportunities for even more high school athletes.

Instead, whoever is responsible, I honestly have no idea, is allowing about 270 athletes dictate what should happen for the VAST majority and actually killing education opportunities for many.

College sports are a privilege, not a right. If a young man doesn’t like the rules the college presidents decide upon….then he shouldn’t play college football. And instead find another way to fund college or go ahead and get a job doing something else.

Come on University Presidents, grow some cajones and do what is right.

Comments

• PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm sure the points are offered sincerely, but you have the unanimous decision of the Supreme Court taking the other side of this argument. The presidents collectively already tried to fix the system and the SCOTUS told them they were breaking the law in the ruling.

>>To be sure, the NCAA and its member colleges maintain important traditions that have become part of the fabric of America.....But those traditions alone cannot justify the NCAA’s decision to build a massive money-raising enterprise on the backs of student athletes who are not fairly compensated. Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate. And under ordinary principles of antitrust law, it is not evident why college sports should be any different. The NCAA is not above the law.<<

• Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Get what you are saying, and I totally understand the SCOTUS quote, but I do not think that “fairly compensated” should or does entail boosters pooling money to pay players to play.

As stated before by me and others here in this forum, how is this process related to the Name, Image and Likeness of the players being paid? Are they being compensated for their NIL? Are they using their NIL to endorse products of the Payors? Are they selling their NIL (autographs, memorabilia, etc.) for a profit?

I think not!

I have no problem with the compensation dependent on the individual’s NIL, but the schools are allowing the players to become employees in a system which in no way is associated with NIL and this is a very slippery slope to travel.

As stated by @texdawg, the University presidents can and should fix this and soon!

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Are universities not offering the 7 bullet points you listed?

Pretty sure the schools are making sure the players have everything they need to get their education. Whether the players want to put in the effort is up to them.

Also, I see “minor leagues” as the leagues that feed pro ball their players. Therefore, NCAA football is definitely the minor leagues if you look at it that way.

So, I see universities offering all the help they can academically and athletically, as well as being the minor leagues of the NFL.

• PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A lot of good points, 3184. I long to go back to the way things used to be in a lot of areas because what we have now is a lot worse. However, this cat was let out of the bag a long time ago when they decided to make CFB a multibillion dollar business. It wasn't the players who made those decisions. Contracts were negotiated with networks, tickets were jacked at stadiums, merchandising companies were formed and deals were struck to sell everything marketable from the game, including NIL for players. Etc. & Etc.

What the ruling tells us is that the players are key producers in the business and they can't be denied compensation. As I pointed out last year, this has a lot of potential to be abused and it may become an arms race. UGA had better hire some really good legal consultants because other teams will exploit this. It's a market. It's competition. It's American capitalism. The strong and the smart will win. The genie isn't going back in the bottle imo.

• WtkWtk Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The players can money from anybody that wants to pay them. It is a legal matter. The presidents and nobody else can stop that.

• TThisDawggTThisDawgg Posts: 192 ✭✭✭ Junior

Great argument. I see the control in the hands of the conferences. They made the mandates for a pandemic year.

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,566 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate