Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

On the Beat: Georgia locked in for championship performance, QB execution and secondary play keys

SystemSystem Posts: 10,439 admin
edited January 2022 in Article commenting
imageOn the Beat: Georgia locked in for championship performance, QB execution and secondary play keys

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You can't really run with Williams so you have to bracket him and trry to keep him in front of you.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2022

Agree with your analysis Mike. But it's not just Williams. No one in our secondary is going to be able to cover him effectively unless we double team him. But can we afford to do that? They've still got other very capable receivers in Brooks, Bolden, and Billingsley. Cincinnati has one of the best secondaries in college football and showed their worth in the game against Bama. They didn't completely stop Young from completing passes, but the defense disrupted him enough and covered well enough to mute Young's effectiveness. But instead they gave up the ground game and Robinson thrashed them for 200 yards. We can't let that happen.

I say our secondary is going to have to step it up and cover better for us to have a chance along with getting ample disruptive pressure on Young. We've got to have BOTH of those things simultaneously or we are going to end up in some kind of shootout which doesn't bode well for the Dawgs. Big pass plays killed us in the first game.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Dawgs need to establish the run game. They need to get great QB play with no INT's. Establish the drop back passing game like they did against Michigan. It can't all be reliant on the play action pass.

On defense limit the run game and get pressure on Young. They need to hit, knock down and or preferably sack Young at least 6-8 times. Get efficient special teams play. If they do that, they will win. GOOODAWGS!

• Options
    Billy21Billy21 Posts: 195 ✭✭✭ Junior

I agree with everyone stepping up in the secondary and on the front lines. I wanted to add in as well that scheming and disguises will have a significant impact in managing Bryce Young. I think it will take the whole defensive staff to become creative in alignments and have to make adjustments not pre-snap, but mid-play to confuse or shock Bryce Young on coverages and protections. I think what that will do is buy the secondary more time and if the front lines do their job, they can get to Bryce before the AL wide receivers make efforts to create separation.

I don't think anyone can stop Bryce Young, but I do believe there is a way to limit his effectiveness as you mentioned. That interception that Bryce threw, you can tell that he was forcing that throw and it costs him. That's what UGA pressure has to do and we need to execute via sack, interception, pass block, etc.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MontanaDawg I think they have to shade his side and play with added attention

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2022

LOVE the mindset of the Georgia players and staff - they are excited, they are locked in and they want to take what is theirs! Let's go win that Natty dawgs!!

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 824 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Havoc on D also creates turnovers, be it picks or QB fumbles. Go Dawgs!