Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia National Championship win more ‘special’ because it came against Alabama

SystemSystem Posts: 11,080 admin
edited January 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia National Championship win more ‘special’ because it came against Alabama

INDIANAPOLIS — In some ways, it doesn’t matter who Georgia’s National Championship victory came against. No feeling is going to top having confetti dumped on you as you’re the last team celebrating the season.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Deerboy202Deerboy202 Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman
    edited January 2022
  • tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • tommieleetommielee Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

What a team, what will the Dawgs do next year for an encore?

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,207 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Commentors...GMAC interviewd Stetson..and asked him what next? He said football but does not know where he will play? Anyone else catch that?

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2022

UGA66 What's next for SBIV? It is better for the program if he leaves now unless UGA is assured that it is getting Arch Manning. Better to have BrockV and GStockton for 4 years than SBIV for 1 year.

It was funny because Herb Kirkstreet warned that Bama was wearing UGA down in the 3rd Q . UGA wore Bama out in the 4thQ. Won going away.

• bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 292 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Connor,

Let's be clear. This was not one of the greatest but absolutely the greatest moment in program history. Unlike 1980 team and its' win over #7 Notre Dame, we won this one on the field of play against the finest competition available.

• GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I remember when the dawgs had their revenge season where they whipped the teams that had beat them the year before in Kirby's first season. This game also reminded me a lot of the rematch against Auburn after they had whipped us in the reg season game and the dawgs whipped them in the SEC Championship game. Georgia is pretty good with the whole "revenge" thing. LOL.

• GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Connor was the only Dawgnation commentator that picked AGAINST the dawgs in the Natty game. He said he was siding with BAMA because he would not believe that the dawgs could beat BAMA until he saw it with his own eyes. Well, Connor, how do you like my DAWGS now, brother?? LOL.

• khummelkhummel Posts: 903 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Decisively beating the only team we lost to-- mighty Bama, no less-- while disposing of all others along the way, means there's no disputing who the best team in the country is this year, hands down. Go Dawgs!

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2022

Of course Bama fans will “point out”…whatever. In case of a loss, they keep their bag of excuses full and close at hand.

The bottom line is one team played like champions! Our Dawgs!

• MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 325 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This win/championship is special for a lot of reasons. In addition to all those reasons already discussed I happen to live down here in Mobile. I have had to experience their arrogance first hand. It was good to put them in their place, at least for a year. I've got a feeling this may become routine for the next few years....

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If I remember correctly, Notre Dame had a much bigger team than UGA did.(especially on their offensive line) THey were tough. If not for #34 we lose. I watched it, and it was awesome and hard fought defensive struggle. But it was 41 years ago. What many don't realize is that we almost won 3 NC in a row if not for Todd Blackledge and Dan MArino.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I said at the time that the SECC was a hard pill to swallow but if we had to lose one game against BAMA it should be that one. ALmost impossible to beat a really good team twice in the same year.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2022

Of course, it was poetic justice. We needed to face them again and prove ourselves. It wouldn't have been the same if Cincy had found a way to sneak by Bama and we wound up beating them badly (which we would've). We had to prove ourselves and we did. I'm sure the Bama fans are already blaming injuries and whining about whatever they typically whine about, but they lucked out TWICE with critical was-he-passing-or-not situations. Early on, if Young hadn't been considered passing we would've had a scoop-and-score there. Bennett's fumble and the crazy "fumble recovery" were all pure luck - take that away and they don't get the easy TD.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2022