Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Father of Stetson Bennett shares what might be next for Georgia’s national championship QB

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Oh, please. So overdramatical. I'm sorry that he wasn't born a superstar. I'm sorry that he wasn't 4 inches taller with a canon of an arm. I'm sorry if it's been a tough year reading comments. Well, you know what? I'm sure that Bryce Young (voted the BEST player in college football) is getting crap from his fans. That's life. We're human.

So, are you now going to do Beck's story? He got 23 pass attempts all year long while Bennett was out there in blowout games and you know he's gone. Shouldn't we feel sorry for him? Or how about JT Daniels? You know, the guy who had earned the starting role and then wasn't give another chance to reclaim it after his injury? He could've been a serious NFL draft pick, but now has to decide whether it's even worth it for him to stay or not. Is that fair? Or how about the story where Vandagriff leaves when Bennett assumes the starting role and Smart doesn't give another player a realistic chance.

Lets cut through the drama here. Bennett stats show that he did quite well. Did he get the respect he had earned? Maybe, maybe not. Up until Michigan we hadn't really beaten a team that finished the year with a lot of respect and a great ranking. Bennett played fantastic in the Michigan game and earned the Offensive MVP. Is that not enough "respect"? He also was awarded the same award for the NC game even though he wasn't the reason for our victory. 

The REAL reason fans are upset is that we had blowouts ALL year and Bennett would often play for 60 mins. Vandagriff threw ONE PASS. One freaking pass all year. We couldn't get him to play more than that? We couldn't give JT a chance to show off his arm? Every other position has players rotating in and out. In an average game, we'd have 12 different people catch the ball. Why can only 1 person be allowed to throw.

Look, Bennett will ALWAYS be the only QB that played in the 2022 Championship Game for us. That's his legacy. But that doesn't mean that we get to be happy when the QBs start transferring.

• Options
    Slabdog64Slabdog64 Posts: 31 ✭✭✭ Junior

I haven’t talked to a single Dawg fan since Monday night who’s upset about anything. Enjoy the Natty and let Kirby and his staff handle the players and the positions.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2022

Here is a thought for all the Bennett Bashers: If our defense had shown up in the 2 previous games and held Bama to 18 points then a Bennett led UGa would have won all 3 Bama games by a TD or more. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    DawgInTallyDawgInTally Posts: 18 ✭ Freshman

Take the win, Stet. You have the chance to do what very few athletes have the chance to do; go out on top. This championship is the absolute APEX of a Georgia football experience. Thanks for all you have done. You are now a living legend. Take the win.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We just won the national championship 3 days ago. Maybe take a break from questioning the coaching?

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well I don’t know what Stets plans are. Only he and God know that as at the time of this interview his own father didn’t even know. But what ever he does I wish him the Very best. No he didn’t win this game all by himself and he said so himself giving repeated credit to his teammates on both sides of the ball. Just like he didn’t lose the SECCG by himself either.

• Options
    MantiTeosGirlfriendMantiTeosGirlfriend Posts: 10 ✭ Freshman

This article is sad but you have to wonder - if we had gone the other route and treated Stetson Bennett as a feel good story, would he have elevated his game to produce the performances he gave in the Orange Bowl and National Championship? He only had one wacky throw against Michigan and there was the "fumble" if you want to call it that in the Title Game, but besides that he played some really disciplined football. Maybe he would have done it anyway, which if that's the case makes all of this tragic. But if we gave him bulletin board material to get the job done, "hate feeds the dawg" and all that, maybe the ends justify the means? Probably not but I'm glad Stetson was able to prove us wrong, if not for anyone else than for himself.

• Options

As far as his legacy at UGA it is and Should be HUGE !! No walk on has ever even started in a Natty less alone Help to win it. Kirby and his coaching staff made the decision to go with Stets and in the end it paid off yielding UGA the first Natty trophy in 41 years !!

• Options

Lastly if Brock and Gunner Really Love UGA AND Believe in themselves they’ll stay and compete for the job. I seriously doubt that Kirby Smart will or would tell Stets in private or public OK you automatically have the job. That’s just not in line at all with Kirby’s character. We’ve all seen him bench some Really good players at times when he thought they weren’t taking on the challenge. Some have left because they couldn’t or wouldn’t rise to the challenge .

• Options

Where did you get this info. ? You are assuming this. Kirby will never “guarantee” a player even playing time less alone a starting position. They must earn it. And even though as you said there’s a Reason there’s not a whiff of interest from the NFL ( which really is a bit premature to say) there was a Reason that Kirby and Monken decided to play him over JT to.

• Options
    WoodstockDawgWoodstockDawg Posts: 250 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Great article! Always important to remember what these kids have endured both mentally and physically!! SBIV has made the DawgNation proud! Will always be a DGD!