Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

What transfer decision of Jermaine Burton really says about Georgia football wide receiver room

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited January 2022 in Article commenting
imageWhat transfer decision of Jermaine Burton really says about Georgia football wide receiver room

Georgia football has seen a lot of talent leave the wide receiver room in recent seasons.

Read the full story here

Comments

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

WR Burton leaving may be a catalys for Kirby pursuing QBs like Caleb Williams and Arch Manning. UGA has lost a ton of WRs to portal.

• ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2022

We’ll have to wait to see how Burton’s career plays out, but as for the rest on that list, they did the Dawgs a favor moving on to open scholarships for players that can make an impact.

Hankton also did the Dawgs a favor. He was definitely the weakest link on this coaching staff.

• VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I feel as though burton leaves because hankton left. I believe we need a home run hire at wr coach to instill some fear of our passing game.

• GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

If Burton left due to Hankton, and he goes to LSU, OK. If he does end up at ALA and he left due to the QB situation then we have a bigger problems. Do we need a coaching spot just for the QBs only. We cannot afford to lose 2 of the 3 young QBs we have now.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

[The same could said for Arik Gilbert, who Georgia landed out of the transfer portal last offseason, only for him to step away from the team in August. Gilbert was spotted at the celebration on Saturday and has remained on the Georgia roster throughout the 2021 season.]

I don't mean to be a jerk, but WHY is Gilbert still on the Roster and hanging out with the boys that worked their butts off during the year? If you're not going to play football, make an announcement and then step down. If you aren't giving it your all, you don't believe to hang out with those that did.

• VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2022

Food for thought here….. bear with me….

what if hankton and burton to lsu and we get joe Brady and Gilbert?

just came to me. I’d take Brady, Terrence Edwards, or Hines Ward

• osmosiphobeosmosiphobe Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2022

So, what DOES Burton leaving really reveal? The title suggests that it’s something we weren’t already thinking. The article doesn’t actually explore anything other than what we already know about the WR room: it’s been unstable.

• HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I do believe he is leaving for the chance at more catches regardless of his role in his limited opportunities. Until UGA starts throwing more, and I’m not saying they need to, with a precision QB, receivers are like any other player - they want to shine and highlight their capabilities. I’m sure he felt he didn’t and wouldn’t get that many chances if he stayed. With the TEs and other receivers and only an average of 19 passes per game, there aren’t a lot of opportunities out there.

• KudzuKudzu Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2022

This is what I'm thinking. A lot of folks seem to be thinking Alabama, but could Burton go to LSU? Kelly seems to be big time aggressive, and Jermaine seemed very connected to Hankton...

• KudzuKudzu Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I do think a dedicated coach for QBs could really make a difference, especially if we got a great "brand" name. This QB-WR connection is either a "virtuous circle"... or a death spiral. There's not much in between (as you can see in other teams), and a great QB coach would also lighten some load for CKS.

• corbinideascorbinideas Posts: 11 ✭✭ Sophomore

Y'all. We are all good at wide-out. And we will snag some new portal pups soon. It's ok everyone. It's going to be ok.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2022

Burton left because he wasn't being used enough, and he saw the writing on the wall for next season...more QB uncertainty. Even Monken's high flying offensive philosophy - on paper - looks great but wasn't even truly deployed this season. You can't run a heavy pass offense when you don't have a capable enough QB and enough elite WRs. Over the last several seasons Bama is the one that has become the aggressive pass offense with incredible receivers.

Of course Burton would go to Bama. Why wouldn't he?

We can't ever seem to have consistency in our QB room to take advantage of the most elite receivers out there. If I was a top receiver that expected to get plenty of reps, Georgia wouldn't really be on my radar. If we get our QB house in order with someone who has an arm for a weapon, then the receivers will line up to come to Georgia. Until then forget it. We'll be playing catchup with the likes of Bama when it comes to that type of offense.

• DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

I haven't said, or wrote a word about Burton and the portal. I'm withholding my opinion until he lands somewhere, and probably won't comment then, because I don't care where the guy (not kid) goes.

Mark Richt said it best about transferring players (not kids) - "I only want players at Georgia who want to be Bulldogs." Same here, Coach.

Also, it would be nice to not be included with whoever had a **** remark about a player. So, Terrence, why not name the idiot and save the other 10M Dawg fans from getting scolded. Thanks in advance.

• JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm with CMR on this one.

Go, Dawgs!

(Not a Dawg? Go away.)

• T_DawgT_Dawg Posts: 26 ✭✭ Sophomore

dawnation should just copy and paste whatever Coach smarts says because if anyone disagrees there not a true fan.lol

• DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Actually @T_Dawg , Coach Smart doesn't think (or at least, talk) like most fans. He actually said that it would be a good thing, in some cases, for some of these players to transfer. Coach Smart gets it. He can only have 85 scholarship players on the team at a time, so just simple math means that somebody is going to have to transfer. Even with those transferring and going to the NFL, the Dawgs are STILL over the 85 limit, or they will be once all the incoming freshmen arrive. Everyone who leaves doesn't hate UGA. Sometimes, it's just a better situation for them and the team. Best (and classy) thing to do is what Smart does, wish them well and then cheer for the next man up. Go Dawgs!