Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia QB JT Daniels hearing from several schools while in portal, plans remain fluid

SystemSystem Posts: 10,483 admin
edited February 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia QB JT Daniels hearing from several schools while in portal, plans remain fluid

ATHENS -- JT Daniels will be staying at Georgia through the spring semester, but he won’t be working out with the team or attending practices.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm still very surprised that Beck hasn't entered the portal yet. I wouldn't say that he got a "raw deal", but he still has significant skills and could be a starter for the right program.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2022

JT was a DGD, but it turns out that Kirby was right with his “gut feeling” as to who our best starter should be. Bennett delivered the mail and had a QB rating this past season higher than any year JT played. Go Dawgs and good luck JT.

• Options
    GardenDawgGardenDawg Posts: 311 ✭✭✭ Junior

I am curious if JT would consider staying if he did not find the right fit. I do not seem him going to a non-power 5, but could be wrong. I still think he may have the best upside of any QB in the room currently. That does not mean things cannot change. I think Carson Beck may wait closer to summer to enter portal if he does......

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 2022

Here we go with the Justin Fields treatment again. I would agree it is newsworthy once he chooses a destination; but if he’s left the team, I don’t think him continuing classes or continuing to sit in the portal is news for Georgia fans.

edit: to the JT fanboys who downvoted this, he’s not a bulldog anymore, doesn’t wanna be. Coulda transferred in the spring to “see how things shake out”; but choose not to. Nothing against JT or Justin Fields meant by my remark. This is simply not news for a GEORGIA BULLDOG site.

• Options
    vannvann Posts: 108 ✭✭✭ Junior

Maybe he'll follow Dan Lanning to Oregon and we'll see him in September.

• Options
    DawgOnTheBeachDawgOnTheBeach Posts: 59 ✭✭✭ Junior

Did not notice the byline before reading the article but did not take long to realize that it is another MG, "I love JT and he is better than Stetson" diatribe. JT is a good QB and was a loyal Dawg but he is gone so get over it. Or is it that it would take too much effort to find something else to write about?

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

If he follows Lanning, it'll be confirmation he's really good... Lanning got to see JT as close as just about anyone for an extended period, and more than almost everyone outside UGA. If he goes elsewhere, speculation will continue :)

• Options

JT is in classes at UGA right now so he can’t attend spring practices at another school. My bet is he is waiting to see where some of the good QBs in the portal land before committing.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Cant post on the Caleb article so I'll post it here. Never thought for a second he would want to come here and throw it 20 times a game on average.

• Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Bo Nix transferred to Oregon so that’s a no-go for JT. Best bet currently: LSU or Notre Dame (with Penn State coming up on the outside). And yes, there are fans who appreciate hearing about JT, who always kept his head down and supported UGA with no complaints and a lot of class. No need to criticize him or any current players in order to support the other. JT = highest passer rating in the history of UGA football isn’t nothing, but gotta fit the offense and the coaching staff’s offensive plan. When the mailman took over, the approach changed. Fine. They won a natty with it so hats off. But no need to throw shade at Daniels over that, or at Stetson because people like JT. They’re both terrific players and fine young men. UGA is better than that. Thanks for the update, Mike.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2022

Right. And no TE in his right mind would come to UGA because UGA doesn't utilize the TE. Plenty of opportunity to throw more at UGA. Caleb is good. Not sure how he would've fit in. JTD? I would've said Oregon (before Nix) or even USC (obviously before Caleb). Now I am thinking JTD to ND. Pretty easy path to CFP with a very good team.

• Options

We weren't utilizing TE's, McKitty got drafted 3rd round and we never threw to him(that I remember). THen BB comes a long and whamo. Talent means everything. If we had Williams instead of BAMA we would have thrown to him more than BB perhaps but basically the few pass attempts are due to CKS 's offensive philosophy. MEans you throw if you need to.

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2022

I am still wondering why 247 rates JT as a three star portal prospect and only 11th best QB to enter the portal in 2022. He’s even behind Rys-Plumlee who didn’t even play QB this year.

Something is just not right for him to fall behind Stet and not seeing the field even in blowouts, then to be so seemingly undervalued in the portal.

• Options
    TomTom Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

JT Daniels was named as the starter when the receiver group was thought to be elite and the offensive line with new starters was coming around. By the time the season started the receiver group was decimated with injuries (the team started a three star freshman and a no star at receiver) and the line lost the starting offensive guard on the first series of the Clemson game. The center was lost a few games into the season.  JT was injured in the Clemson game and when he came back was injured again. The offensive line and receives turned out to be pretty good but not elite. Enter Bennett who could escape the pass rush and other than and an occasional bonehead throw (Florida game) did OK. Kirby has said, since he has been at Georgia, that the players that gave the team the best chance of winning would start and the team was winning.

• Options
    TomTom Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

JT Daniels was named as the starter when the receiver group was thought to be elite and the offensive line with new starters was coming around. By the time the season started the receiver group was decimated with injuries (the team started a three star freshman and a no star at receiver) and the line lost the starting offensive guard on the first series of the Clemson game. The center was lost a few games into the season.  JT was injured in the Clemson game and when he came back was injured again. The offensive line and receives turned out to be pretty good but not elite. Enter Bennett who could escape the pass rush and other than and an occasional bonehead throw (Florida game) did OK. Kirby has said, since he has been at Georgia, that the players that gave the team the best chance of winning would start and the team was winning.

• Options
    edited February 2022

UGA did not throw the ball in '21 primarily for 3 reasons. 1) RBU traditionally has been RBU stacked w/good RB's. 2) OL struggled with loss of starting RG and w/FR C. 3) SBIV could not utilize the entire field throwing. He could throw over the top and to the sidelines. Was not effective throwing over the middle. Some of that was WR's injuries some was SBIV height and field vision. SBIV also had a propensity to put the ball in harms way when pressured (see CFBCG "fumble"). As such was put in more of a role as game manager to not lose the game. You missed the point. UGA didn't utilize TE's as much until they had a TE that could do more. Same with QB and Caleb Williams. UGA's offensive principles not carved in stone. CKS utilized his talent available in a way to maximize his probability for success. The plan worked to almost perfection

• Options
    edited February 2022

There’s a 4th reason why we didn’t pass much. Don’t forget that Bennett had us annihilating EVERY regular season opponent by mid 3rd quarter. There is absolutely no reason to put the ball in the air when leading by 3+ TDs. In our tougher games (Clemson, Michigan and Bama x2) we passed close to 35 times a game. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options

Thanks for remaking my point buffalobill Kirby’s plan is pass if you need to

• Options

Riiiight. It was SBIV. Forget the 2 5* RB's, the best TE in CFB and an OL loaded w/4 & 5 * players. Or the defense that held everyone to 1 score a game.

• Options
    BG522BG522 Posts: 28 ✭✭ Sophomore

What happened to once a DAWG always a DAWG