Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Updated Georgia football scholarship count after 2022 National Signing Day

SystemSystem Posts: 10,411 admin
edited February 2022 in Article commenting
imageUpdated Georgia football scholarship count after 2022 National Signing Day

Below you can find a scholarship breakdown of the 2022 Georgia football roster.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Very useful and TY.

• Options
    BarkingDawgBarkingDawg Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don’t forget Dan Jackson

• Options
    JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

My guess is that we will see the most attrition along the offensive and defensive lines. With 35 scholarship athletes between the two, there are bound to be players buried on the depth chart that could play for other teams. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see a WR or two look for greener pastures including Blaylock and Smith who can't seem to stay healthy and have been passed by younger players. Of course, everyone's odds on favorite for hitting the portal will be Carson Beck, but maybe he will surprise some people. From the looks of it, GA will not have much room to add players from the portal this season which seems like a good spot to be in.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UGA is sitting pretty well. I agree, some lesser linemen will likely leave. Kirby knows this well.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Can someone who understands rosters and recruiting better than I explain why we recruited such a large class this year, (including nine three-stars) when we knew that super seniors were going to inflate the '22 roster size? Won't that make it more difficult to plug holes with transfers (e.g. a replacement for Burton/Pickens)?

I get that Coach says the stars don't matter so much, but still overall the higher ranked prospects on the whole pan out better. Our No. 3 ranking for the 2022 class was partly based on shear numbers, but we're doing to have to give up on some of those players (or else upperclassmen) by summer, right?

Not criticizing or doubting Coach Smart's smarts. Just trying to understand.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,742 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fairly young team? Well, maybe not so much when so many leave for the NFL after being a junior.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    97GradyDawg97GradyDawg Posts: 346 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 2022

I wonder whether the coaches have a pretty good idea of who is leaning toward the portal? I could see players being open, especially with coaches with whom they have a good relationship, but I could also see players not wanting to say much, especially if they feel like they would be disappointing coaches or letting down teammates.

I also wonder if coaches are making it clear where we have more players than available roster spots. Again, that seems like it would be the case, but it might also not be a hard and fast limit at any position group. We might be looking for the "best 85" overall.

If we pare down to 85, then have players hit the portal on top of that, it could make for some challenges. The situation reminds me of Kirby's comments a while back about the complexity of roster management.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

FYI, we finished 16 points ahead of #4 and the lowest 6 contributed just 2.1 points so sheer numbers didn't impact our final ranking.

The key to number is transfers out needs to total an additional 7 to get to 85. Based on my "Ideal roster target" I see we have 4v3 scholarship QB and would expect 1 possibly 2 to transfer post spring. There are also 21 OL v target of 15 so I expect some heavy portal announcements (5/6) in this group (In this group we have 3 Jr and 7 RSSoph). We needed to sign 4/5 this time to avoid 10 leaving en masse in the near future. This assumes that Bobo is on scholarship(?). I also don't see carrying 3 kicker/punter going into May. All other position groups are +/- 1 of Target.

If any are picked up in the portal I expect a 1 for 1 "Trade".

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2022

I'm not following how a player's being injured would translate as dissatisfaction with being a part of this program. Blaylock and Smith haven't been passed; they haven't been on the field because they haven't been healthy enough for it. They both saw action when they were healthy, and right now there's no reason to think they need anything more than to reset with a fresh cycle of practices and training to get back to where they were when they were healthy. It's the same process they'd have to go through if they went to any other program. And with Pickens and Burton gone, their chances of getting on the field at Georgia are better now than they were a couple months ago. Now, of course there could always something else going on that leads to any player transferring. But I don't see how their being injured this past year would be the reason.

• Options
    oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I believe you left off Dan Jackson.

• Options
    JoeFannJoeFann Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

Dan Jackson is still a walk-on, as far as we know. For now. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2022

Dan Jackson is not on scholarship and there are no guarantees that he will be. There will be some attrition on the offensive and defensive lines just because. And I believe that unless Beck is the #2 QB, he will transfer as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see us lose one our tight ends, either, maybe even Washington. And we really can't count on incoming transfers because you just never know. We might not get someone we think or want, so we have to be prepared to go to battle with the ones who are here now, or coming in the summer. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    VenomGAVenomGA Posts: 348 ✭✭✭ Junior

so why is the NCAA allowing this super senior season option again if it's going to count against the scholarship limit? This makes zero sense.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2022

Just for giggles I recalculated the 2022 Class by deleting the bottom 9 ranked signees. The 20 left gave UGA a 311.0 score on 247 which would still have them comfortably at #3. The goal is always get BPA then fill roster needs (again using the BPAs left) to balance positional personnel.