Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

3 takeaways from Georgia football’s prominent presence in Super Bowl LVI

SystemSystem Posts: 11,081 admin
edited February 2022 in Article commenting
image3 takeaways from Georgia football’s prominent presence in Super Bowl LVI

Matthew Stafford provided Georgia football quite a boost on Sunday, right about the time the luster of the Bulldogs’ CFP Championship win was wearing off outside the state of Georgia.

Read the full story here

Comments

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Anyone doubt if burrows had any time at all to throw, he would have beaten them? Not me. BUt hats off to the Ram's defense and to Stafford and especially, Kupp. No Kupp, no victory yesterday.

• kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was disappointed that Michel didn't get enough attempts especially given how the running game was having difficulties.

• USADawgUSADawg Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stafford was great given the situation, but Kupp was deserving of the MVP, in my opinion.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good enough to win with nothing resembling a run game. Seems to me like a pretty valuable performance.

• GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 470 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Glad to see former dawg Matthew Stafford get this victory. While it may not have been a HOF type performance, I hope this will spring board into other Superbowls and his legacy will grow to where he will see the HOF one day.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well I, for one, am just baffled that a team, which was already without one of its main receiving targets, lost a big-play receiver in the second quarter of a championship game and was somehow able to win. Just last month we watched Bama prove unequivocally that such a thing is simply not possible. I mean, the internet couldn't be wrong... could it? I'm going to have to sit down and really think about this.

• budknox310budknox310 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Come on Mike, I now have a confused look on my face, when your heading stated 3 takeaways, but 1 was A. Donald? Sorry, he really didn't have anything to do with UGA. And the prominent presence of UGA, but had less players then LSU and Florida? Don't be like BA, and use false things to push a narrative. I expect better from you. SMH.

GO DAWGS!!!!!

• ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Just say CLUTCH 3 straight weeks, with what I think is an injury in his shoulder, rotator cuff or somewhere. First, anyone not respecting and acknowledging the incredible job Stafford did for the Rams in the Super Bowl are just haters I think because they cannot be that ignorant, since he had NO running game and only 1 legit starting receiver. We can throw in the NFC Championship game too, and the last minute against TB to get the winning FG try. Imagine Goff for a minute these playoffs and in the Super Bowl specifically....hmmm no Higbee, no Woods, no OBJ. Heck Goff only used Cupp as a safety valve and quick short throw guy most of the time. Stafford, without 2 of his 3 top receivers and we all know that OBJ was HUGE in the game plan and then he was out early. Back up tight ends, causing one INT(because we know that Higbee would have been in a better position to make the catch, that is why he is the starter) that went off of the backups hands and the other was when NO ONE was open and he was scrambling and he threw up a prayer into the end zone, that could have been caught if the WR did not let the DB get in front of him and got in better position while the ball was in the air. Credit the DB with catching the 50/50 ball though. Stafford started the game 7 for 7, got the TD to OBJ. Then the play OBJ went down was his first incompletion of the game I am pretty sure. So all that was left was Cupp, for the most part and a non-existent running game. I mean Cincy was covering receivers like glue, credit given there and then with OBJ out, made it SO MUCH EASIER. Did you see the NO-LOOK Stafford threw to Cupp over one defenders arms and in between 2 others?!!! No-Look?!!! Across his body over the middle into tight coverage? Late in the 4th with 3 mins left?!!! With the game on the line and with 3 mins left in the game and down by 4 and no receivers that were a threat much but Cupp and he went to him anyway then and every pass basically, when Cincy knew that is what Stafford and Cupp just did to win the game prior against the 49'ers at the end? And were ready for it? But Stafford and Cupp did it anyway and they still made it happen, AGAIN! And it was harder to do this time because ummm, NO OBJ TO DEFEND this week? Stafford was clutch. AGAIN. 2 weeks in a row, in the biggest games of the season, the NFC Championship, the Super bowl, STAFFORD WAS CLUTCH AT THE END. Games Stafford had never experienced, been to in his life. Had OBJ been there, the Super Bowl would not have been close come the 4th quarter or at least half of the 4th. But he wasn't . Stafford was though. Imagine Goff doing what Stafford did this year. Yeah, you can't. So give credit and praise where it is 100% deserved. The difference in this game was Stafford and Cupp. Not Burrow and Chase or Higgins or Boyd or Mixon. Sure Rams D gets credit. So does Bengals D. But this is not about defense, we are talking about offense and the QB. At crunch time. In the Super Bowl, down 4, not 3, likely last possession of the season. Do or die. Stafford got it done. In spite of his top receiver being his only receiver left really and being covered like glue by half the defense wherever he went, Stafford found a way to get the ball to him anyway. And win the Super Bowl. And on a seriously crunched ankle early on. Took a HUGE amount of weight on it and bent it bad. BAD. We ALL KNEW it would take a bomb to explode on him to get him out of ANY game and no way he would not be out there. NO WAY! He is the toughest QB I ever seen. Because he has been drilled, creamed, bull-dozed, CRUSHED for 12 years in Detroit. Seen him playing when there is no way any other QB would still be playing. I mean hits you would think he should be at the hospital. Then take another one and STILL keep playing! Never seen nothing like him. Tenacity, will, determination, loyalty, responsibility, honor, toughness. He deserves this as much or more than any NFL player. He EARNED it. He got the job done that he was traded to get done in his FIRST season WITHOUT HIS TOP 2 RECEIVERS, throwing to who the only receiver they had to worry about with the game and season on the line. No-look, hits him for 3 TD's, 2 at the END with one called back for offsetting penalties. And with what I believe is an injured shoulder or elbow or something. People would hate Jesus if he were walking the Earth today, just like they did when he was. Problem with the world today. Far too much hate, criticisms, pointing out any little thing they can instead of finding anything to praise or compliment or respect. Not nearly enough RESPECT or compliments and just shutting up. BOTTOMLINE:STAFFORD EARNED THE SB WIN. 12 YEARS IN DETROIT AND IN THESE PLAYOFFS AND SB. Possibly with an injured arm or shoulder.

• ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

To each their own. And btw, Stafford would have won the National Championship while at UGA, but due to early season losses, then winning 9 or 10 straight and obviously one of the top 1-2 teams in the nation, they did not get the chance to win it on the field and instead went and played undefeated Hawaii in the Sugar Bowl and drubbed them like 55-10. They didn't get the change to win it, they did not lose it and would NOT have lost. They were a complete team and on FIRE. But this is about the FIRST UGA QB to win the Super Bowl. Stafford. Neither of the guys you mentioned will ever have that, although both were real good. Zeier could really throw. But heck so could Bobo, Murray, Fromm, Shockley, Quincy Carter. Greene just won. Zeier or Stafford would be my #1's. But Stafford was still maturing and reigning in that cannon of his and those other QB's did not have to deal with having that weapon and it getting them into trouble or having more touch on the ball, etc. And college is a TOTALLY different game. Stafford is an NFL starting QB every year he has been in the league. Only 32 of those on the planet at one time...and he just won the SB! After being doubted his whole career. And with 2 of his top 3 receivers out and zero running game or threat of it. His best WR being the focus of the defense. And with an arm that hasn't seemed right to me the last couple of months at least. CLUTCH. And not just in the Super Bowl, but against SF and TB after taking a sack on first down with 42 seconds left, hits Cupp 2 times for 66 yards, getting the late winning FG try against TB with 6 seconds left. CLUTCH. We all know what happened against SF at the end with the game on the line...Stafford and Cupp when it was needed at the end. Same as in the Super Bowl.

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

ERoc "Well I, for one, am just baffled that a team, which was already without one of its main receiving targets, lost a big-play receiver in the second quarter of a championship game and was somehow able to win."

I see where you are going with this and I make no excuses for UGA's NC, but what you said is a little bit apples to oranges.

BAma lost the equivalent of Cooper Kupp in Williams. I don't believe that the Rams would have won the SB without Kupp. And BAMA didn't win without the best receiver in the country. I don't know about you but I sure did like our chances a little more when Williams went down. Not that I was happy about it. I like lining up our best against your best and let the best team win, but it doesn't always play out like that,sometimes the refs get involved (as we have seen that happen to us against BAMA) and then often times injuries happen and it's next man up.

I'll take our Natty without any shame or guilt, but also upon reflection let out a sigh of relief that Williams and Metchie weren't available down the stretch of the NC game. Go DAWGS!!

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

2 observations about the 4th down almost sack/incompletion by Burrow/Donald. 1) it was 4th down and THAT was the effort put forth by Perine? He didn't dive for the ball. In fact it looked like he didn't make much of an effort at all. He was past the line to gain. Weak. 2) After the play Donald clearly removed his helmet on the field. That is a penalty (The Emmitt Smith rule) albeit post change of possession. The ref's threw away their whistles until the end then they majorly impacted the outcome. There are penalties on almost every play. The ref's decide the outcome of most games by what they call or don't call.