Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Georgia’s Warren Brinson arrested on charges of simple battery after water bead gun shooting

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited April 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia’s Warren Brinson arrested on charges of simple battery after water bead gun shooting

ATHENS — Georgia junior Warren Brinson was arrested early Friday morning on two misdemeanor charges of simple battery and the charge of loitering/prowling, per the Athens-Clarke County jail booking recap.

Read the full story here

Comments

• DawgOnDawgOn Posts: 265 ✭✭✭ Junior

I had to go to YouTube to see what these guns were all about. The one I saw was shot at an empty coke can, among other targets. It took a few shots before knocking the empty coke can over. Not much to worry about, but might hurt an eye. These young men can do some dumb, bone headed things, but so did I at that age. Thank goodness I wasn't a UGA football player, or Mike would have a field day reporting any misstep I took.

• UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2022

Brinson is a UGA football player. Extremely high profile. Supposedly well trained in acceptable behavior. In this day and age running around outside with any type of gun is a recipe for disaster. No matter what type of gun it can get you shot by police or a fellow human packing a real gun. I fail to understand how anyone could reason that it would be okay to point any gun at anyone especially a group of strangers. That is just beyond dumb. But this seems less than what Nyland Green did. He is still on the team. Brinson will be disciplined internally and receive some counseling and realize you can't do that. Another good teaching opportunity for CKS. You would think, after Green, these guys would've gotten it by now.

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Aren't gel guns like paint ball guns? They can jolt you but are relatively harmless....relatively. Eyes are the real drama here. Misdemeanor is a whole lot better than a felony. I suspect he was fooling around and got careless. He should be alright. Probably a fine. High profile UGA players need to be examples, I agree. But some learn later than others.

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

My how the times have changed. I didn’t attend any college as is evidenced I’m sure by my extremely poor grammar and punctuation. But I remember Very clearly plenty of guys having loaded rifles and shotguns in racks in their pickup trucks. If I’d have had a pickup I would have to but I had a car. Now I can’t swear under oath that there were Zero incidents of firearm violence on school campuses for the whole nation. I’d be lying. But what I Can say is that I don’t recall ever reading in the local newspaper, or seeing on local news, or hearing in conversations with various people of Any firearms related violence on Any school or college campus in the entire southeastern part of the country !! There is One lone exception that stands out clearly in my memory and that was the Terrible, Horrible, Tragic, shooting from the bell tower at TA&MU. That was such a sad and tragic event. To the very best of my knowledge the administration at my HS was aware that these guys had the firearms in their pickups. And I Know that guys that went to other high schools also had firearms in their trucks. Yet No or very minimal incidents. Why ?? A firearm is an inanimate object. It does not have a mind or will power. The problem then Must be with our society. In conclusion the anti-firearm crowd can continue to vilify firearms like a loop recording and ramp up security ( usually only in Their area where They live while seeking to defund law enforcement) using private and commercial security resources. And it will be All for naught until they resolve to get down to core issues that Cause these problems. Mean while Law Abiding people who have the self discipline and maturity to abide by both moral and codified laws will have to suffer the consequences of those who Can’t and/or Won’t do the same in order to possess firearms. Our system is so broken it’s pathetic, and our “leaders” seem to have zero desire to Properly address and offer viable solutions to the problems. Just by all means make sure “They” are protected !! Their answer to the rest of us is “Your on your own. Thank You very much !! Be sure to get out and vote” So nice of them. Ouch hurt my ankle climbing down off this soap box !! 😀

• SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Don't play jokes on snowflakes - they can't take a joke.

• WCHWCH Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

He's still a teenager, and I can't believe that someone who is still outside late at night wouldn't expect to be a recipient of "boys being boys". The incident was ****, but calling the cops? Are you serious? Mike, why even write about a kid with a toy gun?

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pffft...much ado 'bout nothin'. Guy gets charged with assault over a glorified pea-shooter and I'm sure he apologized profusely to the individual he shot. You know darned well it didn't hurt em. The overzealous Mall Cops they have running around on campus wanted to make a name for themselves by nabbing an illusive Bulldog. LOL...give me a frigging break.

• kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This just goes to show you how finicky athens-clarke is towards UGA players. Has been that way for years. Won't change anytime soon. There is no slap on the wrist for anyone from uga in Athens-Clarke. You don't hear about this from other college towns. Or at least nowhere near as much.🤷‍♂️

Yep...they need to reign those guys in a little bit. What kills me, is that college kids were burning America down a year or 2 ago. Destroying landmarks and businesses in and around Atlanta, attacking a Federal Courthouse in Portland, declaring a sovereign zone within Seattle...and the story was, kids will be kids, it's the Summer of Love. LOL Running around with real weapons and injuring policemen and taxpayers physically and emotionally with impunity. None of those kids served a day in jail. They were released as soon as they were booked.

A kid accidently shoots the wrong person with a darned pea-shooter...someone he thought he knew, as a joke or part of an on-going game, as kids do. A case of mistaken identity. Harmless.

THAT gets headlines. You would've thought he slapped Chris Rock on the Oscar's stage. LOL. If he had, an "I'm sorry" would've sufficed.

• khummelkhummel Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with most of these posts. Of course we have no details or context... but assuming once he realized he mistook these people for others he knew (in which case it might have been **** but somewhat normal orneriness among friends), IF he explained that and was sincerely apologetic, and no one was hurt, you just have to wonder why anyone would want to call the cops/press charges?? You'd like to think that sensible minds would prevail, law-enforcement would discourage any need for an arrest, life would go on, and Athens' finest would instead be able to concentrate on actual bad people and serious threats. In any case, Go Dawgs!

• KudzuKudzu Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Interesting responses, and I certainly agree with the direction-of-travel of the board on this one. A few points to add:

1) Not sure it was clear who called the cops, or if it was in front of cops... unless I missed it stated elsewhere, I'm guessing it just might be the latter (having been out late night in Athens a time or two)

2) In some parts of Atlanta and close-in suburbs, it can sometimes be difficult to get police to show for anything beneath serious assault... yet in Athens your life can be overturned for a (really dumb) mistake with a slightly more than nerf-gun toy that is available all over the place?

3) While it's only speculation, I've followed the difference in policing between Athens and Tuscaloosa for years, and it seems highly unlikely this "case" would have been handled as dramatically in Saban-land...

My 3 cents!

PS: Interesting link for Gel Blaster impact (gelblaster.com/blogs/news/do-gel-blasters-hurt)

• CapeCawdDogCapeCawdDog Posts: 18 ✭✭ Sophomore

Just a thought - anything happening on campus is handled by UGA police. Compare personnel numbers for each police department, UGA & ACCPD, to gain some perspective on how some of these situations are handled.

No, you're right. There were no specifics reported. It's mostly just speculation based on logic and common sense. Frankly, I would be shocked if it didn't go down pretty much like I implied. I hardly think it was a sinister attack without an apology. What hospital did they take the victim to? Was a bandaid required? PTSD maybe? What damage was done that couldn't be atoned for, on-the-spot. LOL

• SnakeScott13SnakeScott13 Posts: 88 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • SnakeScott13SnakeScott13 Posts: 88 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited April 2022

Not condoning his actions but it definitely could have been handled another way as a student ,whether an athlete or not . These are kids and should not be arrested for these miscellaneous acts. These are students on your campus and this is your way of handling on the spot justice by arresting the kid ? I’m sure he would have rather been arrested than have Coach or his parents find out . That’s who you inform and let the real justice be handed out, but arrested ? Maybe he was disrespectful but with the campus police dept’s record probably not. The punishment doesn’t fit the crime . Dropped or not the arrest is on his record as an arrest . None of us should be surprised if you have seen them on high alert all hands on deck . Marked units , 4 wheelers patrolling on game day protecting the campus from some elderly tailgater from setting his chair on the grass before 7am . Well done UGA , well done .

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

To expound a little on my “ back in my day” rant lol. Most people wouldn’t have called the law on something that insignificant in the first place. Secondly even if they had called the law in the cops would have done some heavy scolding and let him go !! No formal arrest. I mean it was just a souped up water gun right ? Now had he pointed a Real firearm at someone I could see that as worthy of much more serious action by the law enforcement. But gosh a souped up water gun ??!!?? Ridiculous. About my rant, our home was broken into by a violent person when I was about 10 yrs. old, long story. Then much later in my life after I got married and had children of my own a guy Tried to break in our house, a stranger that was on some heavy drugs. Another long story. Just my Having a firearm ( Didn’t have to use it just Display it ) might well have saved mine and my family’s life that night. We called the law immediately as he was trying to break in. Thirty Five minutes later they arrived !! So he had time enough to kill All of us several times !! So YES I Fully support the 2nd Amendment, and the Ga. Stand Your Ground Law as well. Law Enforcement simply cannot be Everywhere, All the time !! If you don’t like firearms and don’t want to be around them less alone Own one then that is certainly your right. But don’t try to stand in the way of My right to own one And use it should that be the last resort to deter a criminal from harming me or my family. When it comes down to the end of the string, YOU are responsible to protect yourself and members of Your family. Ironically the Same people trying to deter private gun ownership are the ones trying to defund law enforcement !! Down vote away lol !!

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I got shot by the neighbor kid with a BB gun at 10, It hurt a little, I cried a little, and then dad took care of the rest, if you know what I mean, but no one called the cops. Everyone is so sensitive these days, as long as it's not on women or children, but I can see where today you don't know immediately if it's for real or just a prank, it could be disconcerting and scary. Too many drive-bys that are real.

College kids have to know their limitations and the repercussions. THis ain't Jr High.