Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

SEC Network host: What if Georgia QB Stetson Bennett gets outplayed on G-Day?

SystemSystem Posts: 10,448 admin
edited April 2022 in Article commenting
imageSEC Network host: What if Georgia QB Stetson Bennett gets outplayed on G-Day?

ATHENS — Georgia coach Kirby Smart says spring football is all about competition, and that led SEC Network host Paul Finebaum to consider an interesting scenario.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What we are ALL looking for is for the BEST QB to win and for it to be a fair and balanced evaluation that doesn't stop at Game #1. Barring injury and based on the history of what Smart looks for in his starting QB, odds are about 10:1 that Bennett will be the starter almost no matter what. Whether that's good or bad is yet to be seen.

As the article shows, the G Day stats at QB really didn't relate to how the 2021 season played out with Beck showing pretty impressive numbers and of course JT doing as well.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I may be wrong, but I think Greyson Lambert was 2-0 in Spring games and Jacob Eason was 0-2. We all know how that worked out with Eason replacing Lambert eventhough Lambert finished his career at UGA with a better won/loss record and set a NCAA passing record vs. a Spurrier coached SC team. I trust Kirby and the coaches to make the correct decisions and I don’t think the G-Day game performances will determine the QB starter next season. Sorry Finebaum, but the game will likely only help determine the back-up QB and not the starter. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The question is "But could either one be good enough to play ahead of Bennett?" The answer is "yes".

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It won't mean diddley, and Mike knows it. It will mean something to the coaches as to who may have a leg up leading into August practice for who they consider the #2 guy. But as for this one game(scrimmage) on Saturday it won't affect SB whatsoever.

• Options
    NorthHallDawgNorthHallDawg Posts: 81 ✭✭✭ Junior

As Herb Brooks once said: "I'm not looking for the best players; I'm looking for the right players..." Stetson Bennett was the "right" player last year and certainly not the "best" player. Will that continue? Who knows? The fact of the matter is: he played just well enough to deliver a National Championship...

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

F-Baum, you should stick to something you understand, like what color Saban’s poopis today.

• Options

I do think that Kirby needs to (and he will) settle on a pecking order and give the backups some meaningful playing time(allowing them to toss it around some in the blowout games). Time to develop a solid #2 guy. We don't have the luxury of a JT this year. THe others are green as gourds, thanks to Kirby's shutting down the offense in the 2nd half of games last year.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Let the poop stirring begin. Mike is the master.

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Most of us have longed to see a thoroughbred lead the QB room at Georgia. Bennett has been competent but doesn't fit the thoroughbred category. We keep getting these five stars, but honestly I don't see how, or why they would want to come to Georgia. My fear is they quit coming.

• Options
    MickeyRichMickeyRich Posts: 101 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited April 2022

It is mystifying to me how Stetson Bennett can be the starting quarterback at the University of Georgia.?.?.? I agree with Mike G, I don’t see Stetson Bennett being a starter at any other SEC school. Additionally, if Stetson Bennett is our best option at quarterback then whoever is evaluating quarterback talent and/or developing quarterbacks at UGA should be fired. There is no way, no way Stetson Bennett should be able to beat out players like Carson Beck, Brock Vandagriff, or JT Daniels. The latter three all have high NFL potential. Stetson won’t even get a free agent invite. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    edited April 2022

Dang Big Dawg, you get an A+ for your comments…..especially for calling-out MG. The non-stop bashing of Bennett needs to stop. I have no idea why there is such a love fest for JT and total disdain for the “Mailman”. If I remember correctly, the great Justin Fields was smacked around and lost by 11 more points than Bennett against that exact same Bama team….only difference was that Justin got to play on a neutral field and Stetson played in Tuscaloosa. Last season proved to everyone there is more to being a championship QB than arm strength, accuracy and how many “stars” you had in high school. Toughness, intelligence and leadership are also critical factors. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby finally has an OC that, by all appearances, he trusts to run the offense. Neither Coach Monken nor Coach Smart are going to publicly state something they don't believe. They both do a great job of living in the present while preparing for the future. Someone already said it doesn't mean diddly and I can't top that. What would be said if Jackson Muschamp outplays everybody? We will see who is out there vs Oregon, we know it will be whoever gives us the best chance to win. GO DAWGS!

• Options

Right now you have a guy who just led your team to a NC that hasn't happened in 40 years and you have 3-4 guys who have NEVER started one game at UGA. Some of you have lost touch with reality it seems. Does that mean that someone can't emerge as the season progresses later in the year? No.

But they dang sure won't be handed the keys to the car without an exhaustive battle to dethrone SB. And certainly not because they "looked better" in the Spring game. It will be won(if it is) in everyday practice this fall and then when an opportunity presents it's self, that person perfoms at such a high level that it's a no brainer they take the helm.

Most coaches(especially Kirby) don't like QB controversies. But some fans seem to.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

SBIV will still be the starting QB on 4/17. Does not mean he will be the starting QB on 9/3. Would not be surprising to see another QB pass SBIV, and become the starter, at some point during the season.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think the biggest issue people have with Bennett is not being discussed as the issue. Most think he should have gone out on top as a NC QB. People probably also wanted to see UGA develop a new QB this year, which could still happen depending on injury or poor performance, but more than likely will be the 2023 season now.

• Options
    rconlanrconlan Posts: 19 ✭✭ Sophomore

Beck has what, two or three years remaining and Vandergriff four. What's the rush? Oh yeah, I'm old fashioned :)

• Options
    edited April 2022

Actually, Beck may have 4 years remaining. His first year was in 2020 and the NCAA declared that season didn’t count against eligibility. I’m not certain about the 2021 season, but I don’t think Beck appeared in more than 4 games. If that’s the case then it would count as a redshirt year which leaves Beck and Brock with 4 more years of eligibility. Maybe that’s part of the reason why we didn’t play the back-ups more than we did.

• Options
    DogsNotDawgsDogsNotDawgs Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

News flash - QB hot take is out there, this one is a ‘what if’.