Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

SEC Network host: What if Georgia QB Stetson Bennett gets outplayed on G-Day?

2»

Comments

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

G-Day is a glorified scrimmage. Unless Stets came out and had a terrible attitude, that is not even trying to compete and put in decent work. I just don’t see another QB on the team surpassing him based on G-Day alone. It’s Real game performance that counts the most. Kirby Knows better than any of us fans that a guy can practice Great them have a Terrible Real game performance and vice versa. So unless Any of the QBs show a no care attitude or obviously shows that he’s been totally asleep through the coaching instruction that has taken place in practices. I don’t see Kirby holding a grudge on Any of the QBs unless one or both of those issues were to show in whichever QB. It’s really just a public scrimmage and maybe just a tad more evaluation for the coaches. They won’t truly know what a QB ( besides Stetson) can do until whichever QB gets quality snaps ( not just handing the ball off) verses at least a decent opponent. A couple of great throws against a cupcake defense wouldn’t offer a whole lot of insight really. G-Day is Allot of fun for fans. And the media gets to talk much more to the coaches and some of the players to. But it only offers very limited insight to what a player can do. The daily practices and non-public scrimmages probably tell the coaches more when taken in totality . Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m pulling for ALL our QBs !! They at this point in time are All Dawgs. I want All of them to do really well. They All need to be as prepared as they can be. I remember a game, ironically verses Bama where their starting QB got a shoulder injury and had to go out, then their #2 guy out also with a shoulder injury, and if my poor memory serves even their #3 guy got dinged but was able to finish in a loss to the Dawgs. It’s rare for all those injuries in One game but it can happen. And injuries over multiple games as the season progresses are much more of a liability. Finebaum is just stirring the pot to Create something to talk about in the off season. I doubt he’s worried sick over whether Stetson keeps his job. He wants to Create a controversy to keep the “News” fresh. That’s OK I guess, part of his job. But I Believe that Just Like with all the other positions on this Dawgs team it’ll all shake out just fine by the time the season starts and UGA will be about the business of adding another National Title in the trophy case !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Too many hand wringers on this section. Stetson beat the Heisman trophy winner. He's got that winning ability. The next two are pretty good and might surpass him by fall. This is a great situation for all of them - they are coached by the best offensive mind we've ever had - Todd Monken. Feinbaum gets paid to create issues and concerns. Who cares.

• Options
    EastmandawgEastmandawg Posts: 145 ✭✭✭ Junior

All click bait, seems like that garbage is taking over now.

It all stops when we all stop reading & replying.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2022

Finebaum’s logic is a bit twisted based on recent history. Last Spring in our G-Day game Bennett threw 4 passes with one INT while JT, Brock and Carson threw 81 passes with 1 INT. Who was our QB for the championship run? Sorry Finebaum, but as they say in the South, “that dog won’t hunt”. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MikeGriffith

Mike's just using Finebaum's words to stir up a little controversy before the G-Day game. It's what they do. LOL. Good job Mike...you didn't just stir the pot, you stuck a boat motor in it, on full throttle.

Save some of it for the season. This is just Spring Practice. And, you know darned well, QB evaluation isn't paramount in the Spring due to all the factors NOT in the QB's control.

Coaches call scripted plays with certain player packages in the game, to get film. Which will be used later to evaluate the progress of blocking, tackling, route running, communication & alignment of the linemen, ends, RBs, DBs and LBs. QBs...not so much. In other words, Spring identifies individual player weak areas. What they need to work on between now and fall practice. QB's are always working to improve distance, accuracy, footwork, mechanics and playback proficiency. They don't start or stop doing that in the Spring.

Spring sets up a loose pecking order for the fall. It's fun for Fans and Sportswriters to watch and discuss. There are still recruits that won't arrive on campus till the summer., including possibly 2 or 3 Transfers.

And, don't let him fool you...Smart already knows who his leaders are. If he doesn't, then UGA has bigger problems than the QB position.

Saturday's gonna be fun. Git em Dawgs.

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm excited about G Day (my daughter's last as a student), but the weather is my only concern!

• Options
    FalconUGAFanFalconUGAFan Posts: 141 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kirby Smart....angst and anxiety....naw....Coach thrives on angst and anxiety of fans and media.

• Options
    DawgOnTheBeachDawgOnTheBeach Posts: 59 ✭✭✭ Junior

I’m going to start calling MG One Trick Pony because all he ever writes is the potential QB controversy. Note the Finebaum comments were in response to MG questions. MG never seems to do anything new or in-depth. The DawgNation cast really took a step down when they lost Seth Emerson and Chip Towers.

• Options
    DawgOnTheBeachDawgOnTheBeach Posts: 59 ✭✭✭ Junior

PS. Just read a very good unbiased article on the Dawg QB situation. Written by Seth Emerson of The Athletic. No degrading any of the payers or an attempt to create controversy. I know it’s a paid site but remember quality usually costs more

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For now at least, the only question at Georgia QB is: "Who'll be No. 2?"

I always thought Vandagriff had more physical tools than Beck. Based on what's being reported out of training, however, Beck may still be ahead -- perhaps based on experience.

Both look really, really good, however. I'd think that No. 3 will transfer out and make someone like Missouri very happy. What a pity. But that would be the logical move (unlike IMO Mims' decision.)

There will always be questions raised about Bennett because he doesn't have as much arm strength, is handicapped by size, and has occasionally had trouble on third down in meaningful situations. Plus, everyone likes a QB controversy -- especially at the national champions.

For both Finebaum and Griffith, this understandably is fodder (just look at the number of comments!) Until now, however, SBIV has only been motivated by such doubts to perform better and better -- he's utterly competitive so we can expect that to continue in the future.

I tend to put the happy face on things. So I guess I see all this as a blessing: We're going to have an excellent veteran QB who performs especially well in this system, along with a scary-good understudy who can step in to add another dimension or step up in case of an injury. ... And then there's Gunner ...

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Just let the BEST QB play. Last year is over. My guess is first game Bennett. After that, the only fair, right and best thing to do is to start the best QB. The players know who is the best.

And by god play them all and often early because if they do come into play in a big game for whatever reason, let their feet be soaking wet. I do not care who starts. But without a doubt, the time will come that UGA will be behind in the 2nd half and a JT Daniels would be much better.

I trust Kirby 100%. And again do not care who the QB is. May the best man get the job. And the 2nd best be ready and get playing time. It is time for these 2 young guys to get more playing time for sure if they both stick around.

One of them might be starter sooner than they might be thinking. Unless Bennett is even better this year at throwing the ball when the defenses are expecting it. If he is not, then...

• Options
    budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited April 2022

I have read all the comments on this thread. And agree with ALL of them. Both for and against the situation and against the story.

But one fact remains, as ColumbusDawg put, make sure the backup has soaking wet feet, in case they are thrown into the fire, feet first.😆

The other problem is this, and it could happen, but when has kirby ever done that. Excluding the fcs games. Never. Putting your backups in to hand the ball off 15 straight times is a complete failure on his part, especially when the ream is winning by 24 or more points. Like in almost every game last year.

Like another post stated, G-Day game will not list the pecking order, only real games will. But is a real game evaluation fair, when the starter throws the ball 20 or more times and the backups throw less then 5, combined? Is an evaluation really even being done? Last year was the perfect opportunity to get C.B and B.V. a lot of reps, throwing. He failed.

Let's just be glad Bennett came back. If Beck or Griff were the starter this year, not saying anything about their abilities, just experience. UGA could easily have the possibility of losing multiple games. Just my opinion.

GO DAWGS!!!!!