Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart raves about Stetson Bennett, expects more explosive Georgia football offense

SystemSystem Posts: 7,417 admin
edited April 2022 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart raves about Stetson Bennett, expects more explosive Georgia football offense

ATHENS — Georgia coach Kirby Smart a sneak peek of what to expect from quarterback Stetson Bennett on G-Day and next season.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Looking forward to seeing Bennett next season. Imagine how much better he will be now that he finally gets to practice with the starters. It’s got to make a huge difference than what he experienced in the past while working with the back-ups. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirby is really high on Stetson....let's see how he rolls tomorrow afternoon....Better than 324 yds. in the air and 3 TDs? I'll be watching. Hope he puts up those numbers. That would elevate UGA to a new passing threshold with the mailman. GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2022

I hope Stetson and All our QBs do Great !! For all my fellow Dawgs going to the G-Day game I hope y’all have a Great & Safe time !! According to what I just saw the rain is supposed to stop around 12PM so maybe by 1PM when the game actually starts the field will be in at least decent condition. Hey y’all Try somehow to give a fan shout out to all our injured Dawgs !! Give em some Love, let em know we’re thinking of them !! Speaking of which Please no additional injuries !! God Bless you All and your families !! I wish y’all a very Happy Easter !! HE IS RISEN !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    DeppDoggDeppDogg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Kirby raved about Stetson Bennett? Color us all shocked. One day, Kirby will prove he can handle a top-tier, NFL-caliber QB, and a pro-style game. So far, nope. No criticism of the DAWGS. There is no real fan who doesn't pull for them to win every game. Not about that. Just about getting real on the "O" side of the ball. One of these days, it will come back to bite the stubborn sucker. A Natty gives you a lot of cover - and $100MM in the bank. Good for him. Anybody want to bet on Stetson out-dueling Bryce Young in another playoff game, straight-up, w/o the maniacs on the 2021 legendary UGA defense? Of course, as always, the game is played on the field (and on the recruiting trail), so, as they say.... we'll see.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2022

??? Didn't SBIV get 1st team reps prior to 12 games last season? And 5 games in '20?

Forecasting that it is "likely Bennett surpasses the 324 yard 3 TD passing day" of JTD seems a little passive-aggressive considering SBIV had 1 game last season of greater than 324 yards passing. There will be many people disappointed if SBIV plays the entire G day game and GS doesn't get some game action to show what he can do.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Actually, Bennett rarely had 1st team reps “prior” to every season he has played at UGA. I was referencing Spring and Summer practices. Example: In the 2021 G-Day game JT threw 41 passes while Carson and Brock combined for 40. That’s 81 passes and Stetson had a grand total of “4” and those were in the 4th quarter to the scrubs. Yes indeed he got his first full time opportunities when he replaced the projected starters and his improvement was beyond amazing. So good in fact that he was named MVP in both playoff games. He should really be impressive next season. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"finally gets to practice with the starters". Your words not mine. He has been practicing with the starters for the better part of 2 seasons. Probably safe to say that SBIV has more starter reps over the last 2 seasons than any QB on the roster and as well as JTD.

• Options
    ChewDawgChewDawg Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

The best players will play. That's Kirby's motto and it's a darn good one. Has a Natty to prove it.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I would say that, in 2020, there was no Spring Practice. In Fall practice, Jamie Newman, D'wan Mathis, JT Daniels and Carson Beck got the vast majority of reps with the 1's and 2's. When asked later, why Bennett wasn't given more reps, Smart replied, "We already knew what we had with Stetson.". They were trying to vet all of the QB's (4 unknowns) and find a depth chart while installing a new offense, without benefit of a Spring Practice. Daniels, Mathis, Newman and Beck were all new and UGA didn't have a clear starter after Fromm declared for the draft, unexpectedly. There was no developmental reps for Bennett in 2020...only game prep. Not the same.

In 2021, Daniels was the clear #1 from the start of Spring. He got the #1 reps. Bennett shared the #2 reps with Beck. Vandergriff got a few too. Beck got so many 1st and 2nd team reps in the Fall, that most Sportswriters were led to believe he was Daniels' backup, which proved not to be true. Smart, again, knew what he had with Bennett and had to get Beck up to speed as backup to Daniels and Bennett, which proved to be wise after it was learned Daniels was injured and limited at least through the first half of the season.

This is the first year that Bennett is getting #1 reps in preseason. Those are valuable for preparation in leading the offense and working out the kinks before the season starts. Rather than trying to do it during the season, when time is short and game plan is paramount. So, yeah, I would say Bennett will profit from his elevated status and no, he didn't get many #1 reps prior to this Spring. Except for game prep, that is and maybe the practices leading up to the CFP, which are both developmental and game prep.