Home DawgNation 5-star Chef Zone
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

NATIONAL STRAWBERRY RHUBARB PIE DAY

donniemdonniem Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

NATIONAL STRAWBERRY RHUBARB PIE DAY

On June 9th of each year, National Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Day recognizes a delicious and seasonal pie. A tart vegetable, rhubarb is often paired with sweet fruits making for a pleasing dessert.

Around the country, rhubarb is a perennial favorite for home gardens. One of the first fruits of their labors, gardeners begin to harvest rhubarb in the middle of May and early June, and it finds its way into desserts and preserves. Since it takes on the flavor of the fruit or vegetable it is paired with, it is an excellent complement to many recipes. 

Not only is rhubarb known for making deliciously baked goods and satisfying the hankering for something from the garden early in the season, but it also has many other qualities. Rub a cut stalk of rhubarb over a burnt skillet and let the high oleic acid content do the work. It’s been a primary ingredient in many cleansers for over 100 years. 

Rhubarb is so high in oxalic acid, in fact, the leaves are toxic to humans. The stalks, however, are a consumable, rich, and healthful source of oxalic acid. The benefits of enjoying rhubarb could help reduce blood pressure, increase your body’s ability to burn fat, and generate brain myelin. Now, that’s a reason to celebrate National Strawberry Rhubarb Pie Day!

Harvest that rhubarb and pick some strawberries. It’s time to make pie! Break out your favorite recipes or try this one out:

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

I've never tried a rhubarb pie before. Am I missing anything?

Comments

• Palm_City_DawgPalm_City_Dawg Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Strawberry rhubarb pie is a little gift from heaven!

• Joe31Joe31 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I can remember my Grandmother’s strawberry rhubarb pie. It was delicious, I miss it.

• allywallyw Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’ve never had rhubarb. What does it taste like?

• Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2022

Just remembering my younger days when my grandmother used to grow it, rhubarb has a very tart, sour taste (looks like and has the texture of celery) which is hard to eat fresh. Unlike you are the kind that will eat lemons or limes fresh. LOL!

That is why most people will mix it in a pie with a fruit like strawberries so that there will be more of a tart, sweet taste to it. Rhubarb pie by itself usually has added sugar for this same purpose.

I googled "Rhubarb pie" on the web, and there are a lot of recipes for making various pies and jams using rhubarb. One thing to look out for is that rhubarb contains a lot of water so look for methods to remove such to avoid the filling being too runny.

Sorry for the delay! Enjoy!

AND REMEMBER THAT THE LEAVES, NOT THE STALK, ARE POISONOUS!! The stalk is what you eat.