Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Could Georgia-Alabama become a ture rivalry as SEC ponders schedule change?

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited June 2022 in Article commenting
imageCould Georgia-Alabama become a ture rivalry as SEC ponders schedule change?

Georgia football and Alabama could play in some iconic games in recent years. Could changes to the SEC schedule mean these two powers become even bigger rivals?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited June 2022

Ol Connor must be ture up this morning, lol. While it would be nice to build this into a rivalry, let's not. We have our usual rivals, and it's better to meet alabama for all the marbles. Love the feeling of taking it from them, as they have from us many times already. Rotation=yes, permanent=no.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Might the headline title at a minimum be proofed?

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2022

Ok here's what I don't get about the proposed schedule changes. If it's a 9 game schedule, we get 3 permanent opponents. But if it's an 8 game schedule we only get 1 permanent opponent? Why wouldn't we get 2 permanent opponents with the 8 game schedule? It would be a much better balance of rotation and maintaining classic matchups, and it wouldn't require reducing the number of rotational games (6) from what is already planned for the 9 game schedule.

• Options
    PappyDawg27PappyDawg27 Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

A "ture" rivalry?

Really. Connor? Of course, as many times as I've seen you misspell 'Georgia' I ain't surprised.

Turely some room for improvement there.

• Options
    rhbatchrhbatch Posts: 730 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I believe they are assuming that divisions will be done away with, no more East and West.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

rhbatch is right...there can be no divisional separation if this is to happen.

• Options
    SquareSquidSquareSquid Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

@E_Roc

They want to play every team in the league twice every four years. That way players will get to play in every stadium.

15 other teams played twice makes for 30 games. But permanent rivalries count as two extra games, so 32 / 4 years = 8. If you go to 9 games, you go to 36 / 4 = 9.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2022

Ok, thanks for that explanation.

But it still seems like a really bad approach to me. With a 6/2 format, you'd play 12 of the remaining 13 teams home and away every 4 years, leaving 1 of 13 boxes unchecked. I think there's a lot more value in having twice as many bona fide rivals than being able to check that one extra box every four years. Especially considering that a lot of players stay in college either 3 or 5 years before moving on anyway. Not to mention the steep increase in transfers that will also render it a moot point for so many additional players. But even assuming every player stayed with the team he signed with out of high school for exactly 4 years, I still think this is the wrong approach. So yeah, even with that explanation behind it, it still doesn't make much sense to me.

But hey, I was never in favor of expanding beyond 12 teams to begin with, so there's that.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't believe its for the players to play in every stadium. I believe(know)its about more big games and more money. A large percentage, I would guess 40%, would never play in all stadiums. Don't add up. Don't make sense. Definitely not a priority. Not when it comes to making policy for something this monumental. After-thought. But may be fair to all of the schools and the result. Sounds like a win-win really. For everyone. Then in the future maybe drop and replace Vandy, if they don't give a real effort to try and compete in football. Can let them hang around for other sports I guess, like Kentucky was for a long time until lately. Bring in Clemson or Miami, maybe OK ST. No, another team coming in will have to be a huge one. Elite conference spot. Clemson, Notre Dame, etc. That being said, I think they should just come up with their plans A, B or C, have them ready to go and when playoff expansion is settled, implement the one that works best to give our teams the best shot to make it. Do not want to beat up on each other in the extra big games, while other conferences won't, because they can't. We would be at a disadvantage by knocking ourselves out of it. 2-3 SEC losses and you still could be the 4th best team in the country. But if it stays at 4 games, then we would often knock ourselves out, as far as a 2nd team. 2 losses and making it would be very, very hard, with a whole country out there with teams that lost 1 or none and/or won their conferences. Got to delay these additional big conference games for a few years. Planning it now is super smart though. Know exactly what you are going to do when it is time to do it. And they got a pretty good idea when that will be. Ahead of the curve. Way ahead of it and the rest of the conferences. Going to be interesting what the others do. There has to be some merging of some sorts or they will likely just get left even farther behind.

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Way too much attention focused on preserving so-called rivalry games. The only issues that matter are having attractive home games to boost attendance and serve as a draw for recruits, and winning games to qualify for the playoff. Once OU and Texas join, I will be interested if they continue to play their game at a neutral site. Giving up a recruiting weekend every other year makes no sense for them and makes no sense for UGA if they end up playing Florida every year.