Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

As Sam Pittman asks for Texas, who should Georgia’s 3 potential permanent rivals be?

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited June 2022 in Article commenting
imageAs Sam Pittman asks for Texas, who should Georgia’s 3 potential permanent rivals be?

If the SEC goes to a nine-game format, Georgia has some choices to make for its 3 rivalry foes.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2022

Well, personally I think Georgia's rivals are pretty well established historically:

1) GA Tech (been awhile since they've been good, but still a lot of hate there)

2) Florida (obviously)

3) Auburn ("deep south's oldest rivalry")

Carolina might make sense (although it's not statistically much of a rivalry with Carolina only having a winning percentage of 50.9% in their history), although Bama vs Georgia would likely be a powerhouse game in the long term. I'd hate to play Bama 3x a year though (regular season, SEC, playoffs) LOL.

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 217 ✭✭✭ Junior

Bama is only a rivalry b/c we and they are the two consistently elite teams in the SEC. If Saban retired and the Bama program fell off, they wouldn't be a rivalry.

So, for in conference I have to go with UF, AU, UT - all have potential of being tough games.

• Options
    tpharistpharis Posts: 8 ✭ Freshman

GA TECH

Gators

Auburn

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 461 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Looks like the powers to be want to cycle through the league every two years with a 4 year cycle at every stadium. Only 4 year freshman would experience the full effect. What about a 3 year cycle. Can have 3 standing and 4 rotational sec teams. This would allow most players to have a game against all sec teams and still leave room for both “donation “ games for smaller schools and for the aggressive programs to schedule top tier opponents from other conferences. And not to mention classic UGA/GT or Clemson/SC and FL/FL state to remain on the schedules.

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

**** sure keep Auburn, Florida and Ga Tech every year! I’ll take Carolina over Tennessee, if I have to choose between the two. VOL’s fans are dangerous with those mustard bottles and golf balls.

I don’t know what all is going to change, but I fear it’s not all going to be good. I’d hate to see games I grew up enjoying every year, be done away with. Are we going to be able to keep the SEC championship game? I’d hate to lose that game as well. How will we decide a conference champion, if so? Too many unknowns have me a little concerned. College football has already changed way too fast for my liking, with the transfer portal and NIL stuff. I love college football, and just hate a lot of what I’m seeing lately. I’m old school. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see what happens. Hoping for the very best, but not feeling confident right now.

‘whatever! Whatever!

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    rconlanrconlan Posts: 19 ✭✭ Sophomore

9 SEC games please

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The consensus seems to have it as Auburn, Tech, and the Gators. And I'd agree!

• Options
    BbellDawgBbellDawg Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

i get it and these are the reasons I don’t like change, although without the sport evolving, it will die on the vine. So I pick my battles, CURRENT NIL and PORTAL, scheduling, with exception of UF and Auburn, let the league figure it out. It’s a crap shoot down the road when teams who were winning when the schedule was made are now mediocre!

• Options
    Wozzo_the_Wonder_DogWozzo_the_Wonder_Dog Posts: 189 ✭✭✭ Junior

You know every SEC school is going to end up picking Vanderbilt as a "rival."

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Connor meant SEC rivals. Tacky tech doesn’t fit in that category.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Florida, Auburn and GA Tech, I guess. Really no future in playing Tech though. I always consider those as possible injury games. Yeah, I am that petty. I really enjoy taking it to SC and TN and KY. Wish TN would hand out the golf balls rather than throw them...lololol. Need a 9-game schedule to sort this out. We are all guessing. Let's see what transpires. Adding TX and OK will certainly liven up the schedule. However, Bama might be too much in the mix with UGA then...no divisions? Just do not know. Anyway, GO DAWGS!!!

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Florida, Auburn and SC, in that order. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I know it’s about future SEC scheduling, I believe those who mention Tech, myself included, are just concerned about the possibility of losing them. Haven’t heard anything to indicate otherwise, but who knows for sure what may happen if we go to more SEC games. When they start mucking with scheduling, who knows what they may do. It would be incredibly **** to drop Tech. That’s the one guarantee win we have each year 😁

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    WildCottonWildCotton Posts: 2 ✭ Freshman

It is apparent that a sizable portion of our readers **** the bed when it comes to reading comprehension. I admit that I was not the brightest bulb in the ‘00 class. However, I realized pretty quickly that Georgia Tech plays no role in the article and discussion at hand.

I’ll admit that I slept a lot over the weekend and have not devoted much time this week on sports news. But last time I checked, Tech was still a member in good standing with the ACC. The article is strictly regarding our SEC schedule and “rivalries.”

(Please forgive my ignorance if I am in error. Crazier **** has been known to occur.)

Moving on…

The last few years, our home schedule has been lackluster at best. Garbage at worst. I am of the opinion that it is worth the cost to give up a few annual opponents if it nets an overall product year in and year out.

Auburn is a most. Beyond that, it doesn’t matter to me. I look forward to switching it up. It would not upset me if we swapped out UK, Vandy, and Mizzou for potentially exciting match ups against like OU, UT, and aTm.

• Options
    Dawg01Dawg01 Posts: 53 ✭✭✭ Junior

Personally believe that this is the 'out' that Auburn has been looking for. They are 5-10 against Bama, since Saban arrived and 3-14 against Georgia in the last 17 years. Georgia played Auburn 16 times in the last 15 years, meaning that they are 8 and 23 in the last 15 against their two biggest rivals. They have lost 3 out of 4 to Bama and 5 in a row to Georgia and play away against both this year. When you play 12 games and you can almost automatically circle two as losses - at some point, something has got to change.

Look at Tennessee. Have lost 15 in a row to Bama and 10 out of their last 12against Georgia. Going back 12 years they are 2 and 25. You think they wouldn't like to shake at least one and possibly both?

I think we'll keep Florida and get stuck with South Carolina, if it's two permanent.

Point these out, because it isn't just what Georgia wants. And truth be told, the boys in Athens are a pretty obedient group to the SEC execs. Case in point is playing Auburn away two years in a row and accommodating them, but moving the game from late November to October. To this day, both still confound me. When Richt came into the league, he wanted to run a hurry up offense. But the league made sure that didn't happen. He wasn't breaking any rules mind you, but the old guard didn't like it and Georgia said nothing. No, the Dawgs are the 'get along' boys, while others make waves and the rules. Truly hope this is something that Kirby can influence. You would think they would all be grateful to Georgia. The reason the conference is so rich today is the law-suit brought by Georgia/Oklahoma in the early 80's over TV rights with the NCAA. That's what changed everything, giving the schools control over TV - not the NCAA. And Georgia and Oklahoma's reward - both were on probation within year after the ruling came down.

• Options
    DJG76DJG76 Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

The idea of an SEC rival is that FIRST, they need to be in the SEC......Florida & Auburn check that box....GA Tech does not. SECOND, a rival must be able to present at least a modicum of competitive play on a yearly basis.....FL, AU, SC, TN all check that box.....I'd prefer a rotating schedule for those team....SC even years, TN odd years......BINGO, rival problem settled. I'd also dump GT for Clemson as they check off the second requirement if the powers that be insist on playing an ACC team. The reality is that GT needs to drop down to a non power 5 conference.