Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football winners and losers following Arch Manning commitment to Texas

SystemSystem Posts: 10,410 admin
edited June 2022 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football winners and losers following Arch Manning commitment to Texas

The Arch Manning decision had some huge ramifications on the Georgia football program.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BASDawgBASDawg Posts: 39 ✭✭ Sophomore

So, how much did Texas pay Manning?

• Options
    Tom_BomadilTom_Bomadil Posts: 68 ✭✭✭ Junior

"Georgia recruits about as well as anybody. It also develops pretty well too, with the 15 2022 NFL Draft picks as evidence. Yet it seems Georgia doesn’t have the same sort of pull it does with elite quarterbacks prospects that it does with linebackers and tight ends."

Georgia doesn't do well because Smart does not know how to use the talent that has come his way. Another quote: "Even at the quarterback position, Georgia found success in landing big-time players such as Justin Fields, Jacob Eason and Brock Vandagriff." Yeah, Georgia landed those quarterbacks, and they never had a chance. Jake Fromm was made the starter, and Fields goes on to Ohio State to become a Heisman candidate, and a starter in the NFL. Where's Fromm? Warming a bench. Fields was never given a chance. Why commit to a school that is not going even give you and opportunity? Same with Eason. And now this year, because of all the emotional hysteria over Bennett's cinderella story, J.T. Daniels is sent packing. Georgia won in spite of Bennett, not because of him. I can remember Georgia losing important games in the past, and Bennett never came out to give Fields a chance. Compare that to Saban yanking Hurts in favor of Tagovailoa in the championship game. End of story.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well Kirby has already proven that you don't need a 5 star wo win a Natty. What was SB? Did he even have a ranking? Surely that must gall Nick Saban that a QB that couldn't get a D-1 scholarship beat him. MAybe I'm misremembering about the scholarship thing.

• Options

I like the Sayin kid. If you haven't seen his video you need to watch it. He 's just a Junior this year too. He throws it as well as anyone I've seen at that age and he has great vision when flushed out of the pocket picking up his open receivers or covered it doesn't matter, he can put it where his guy is the only one who can get it while he's on the move.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Sigh.

Going to say this again. Maybe at some point the fanbase and the "media" that eggs them on will pay attention.

1. Big time QBs prioritize million-dollar contracts that will set them and their families up for life over national championships that no one is going to remember 10 years from now. Jake Coker, Cardale Jones, Greg McElroy, Chris Leak, Matt Mauck, Craig Krenzel, Josh Heupel, Chris Weinke, Tee Martin, Brian Griese, Scott Frost and Ken Dorsey all won titles and if they aren't into coaching (Heupel, Frost, Dorsey) or broadcasting (McElroy) most of their own fanbases have no idea what they are up to for the most part.
    2. Therefore no big time QB is going to come to UGA until Kirby Smart proves that he can produce a high draft pick at the position. Because ... why should they? Why should these guys choose winning a title and then getting a marketing job - plus providing commentary on UGA for some local TV or radio station - over the $14 million contract that Kenny Pickett just signed?

Now consider Steve Sarkisian. As a QB coach and head coach at USC he developed Carson Palmer (#1 overall pick, Heisman), Matt Leinart (#10 overall pick, Heisman) and Mark Sanchez (#5 overall pick) plus recruited Sam Darnold (#2 overall pick). As head coach at Washington he had Jake Locker (#8 overall pick). At Alabama he developed Tua Tagovaila, Mac Jones and signed Bryce Young (Heisman). That is 8 #1 picks and 3 Heismans since 2002. Plus his time coaching NFL Pro Bowler Matt Ryan as Falcons offensive coordinator.

So can anyone tell me why any QB who cares about his NFL future would pick Kirby Smart? Track record.

NFL QBs recruited/developed at LSU: zero. Because he is a defense coach.

NFL QBs coached at Miami: zero. Because he is a defense coach.

NFL QBs recruited/developed at Alabama: zero. Because he is a defense coach.

NFL QBs recruited/developed at UGA: Jake Fromm. 5th round pick and out of the NFL after 2 years. If you want to give Smart credit for Jacob Eason even though it was actually Richt who originally signed him, fine. Not very helpful: 4th round pick, released by the team that drafted him and is 3rd string in Seattle, who signed the hometown boy (both high school and at the University of Washington) as a PR move because they are going to be horrible this year.

Winning college titles does nothing for your NFL stock. The year after Deshaun Watson won a national title, he saw Mitch Trubisky, whose UNC team he dominated in the ACC, get taken 10 spots higher. And Pat Mahomes go 2 spots higher coming off a 5-7 season. Even better, Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray went #1 overall in back-to-back seasons despite losing in the first round of the playoffs (Mayfield lost in the 1st round twice, including once to Watson). So anyone who thinks that elite QBs are clamoring to come to UGA to throw 2800 yards - the most any QB under Smart ever has - and be 3rd round picks at best is delusional.

Maybe NIL played a role in Manning choosing Texas over Alabama. But UGA? Not a chance. Manning was never coming to Georgia because there is no evidence that he would be a #1 pick in Athens no matter how good he is. If you want to recruit QBs like that or anything close in the future you need to root for Carson Beck to get the QB job as soon as possible. Only if Beck puts up big numbers - which no QB has under Smart - and gets drafted high - ditto - and changes the narrative will some truly big time QB give UGA a chance.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Not dealing with reality here buddy? Look: Alabama lost 7 of 11 starters on offense to the NFL - QB, RB, 2 WRs, 3 OL - and his offensive coordinator to Texas. Came into 2021 with a true sophomore dual threat QB needing to learn his 2nd pro style offense in as many years and a gaggle of inexperienced unproven guys at nearly every position but WR (Metchie) and LT (Neal). So, going 11-2 with a Sugar Bowl victory would have been considered a successful season. Even going 10-3 would have been acceptable so long as Young played well down the stretch.

Instead, Young has a record-setting Heisman season that doesn't fall apart until midway through the 4th quarter of the NCAA title game against a historically great defense. So tell me what is supposed to "gall" Nick Saban again? In a rebuilding year that no one expected them to contend for a title in the first place, if you think that Saban doesn't prefer losing to UGA in the title game to falling to Ole Miss and their future Panthers starting QB Matt Corral or to Auburn and their 5 star QB Patrick Nix during the regular season and not even making it to Atlanta in the first place then - again - choosing fantasy over reality there.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Simply put, this is a WIN for our QB room and therefore Georgia. The LAST thing we need are more QBs transferring.

I'm going to keep saying this - if you want to have a big passing game, then build your offense for a big passing game. Get all of those Elite WRs that Bama gets and have the formations to match. Otherwise, pick the QBs that pay the offense you've designed.

I still don't understand Arch's numbers. I get it's an apples/oranges, but compared to Vandagriff and Stockton they are pretty laughable. QB rating has gone down each year. Completion percentage is only 65%. Only 1,371 yards his Junior year. ****? Stockton had 4,100 yards, 55 TDs (to Manning's 17) and only 1 INT to Manning's 4.

I'm serious in that I would honestly like to know. Arch's numbers are no where close to what you'd expect from a "generational" perfect-score QB. What am I missing?

• Options

If you think it doesn't bother Saban that a guy that had 1. count them one D-1 scholarship offer to New Hampshire of all places that he put up 27 points on his team to beat them, then you are the one who needs a reality check "buddy" or you're just a BAMA troll so which one is it?

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited June 2022

Couldnt agree more. Impressive guy who could really merge nicely with the current QB room (the younger ones, obviously), and maybe even take it to the next level with some development and strong WR recruiting in parallel

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm no expert, but what would seem to be useful would be for the backups to get some more meaningful snaps in whatever games Georgia gets socked away early. It seems like the backups come in and hand off and the Dawgs punt. M'rite?