Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Future SEC expansion might bring Dawgs some new rivals

SystemSystem Posts: 10,479 admin
edited July 2022 in Article commenting
imageFuture SEC expansion might bring Dawgs some new rivals

What will Georgia’s SEC football schedule look like in three years?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 277 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Great article again, Bill! You are indeed the maestro of collegiate football awareness.

• Options
    DreamAndWonderDreamAndWonder Posts: 37 ✭✭ Sophomore

There has to be an expanded playoff. Otherwise the SEC will canabalize each other with a schedule that is murderer's row.

• Options
    DreamAndWonderDreamAndWonder Posts: 37 ✭✭ Sophomore
    edited July 2022

And..great article as always, Bill.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fun article Bill. Football is my favorite collegiate sport and easily the big money generator, but it’s interesting how it seems to also dominate the decision making process. If a conference wants to sincerely enhance its “overall” athletic program and academic standards then why pick USC and UCLA over Stanford? Over the past 20 years Stanford has dominated the Director’s Cup (recognizing the best athletic program) finishing 1st almost every year with the exception of 2021 and 2022 where they finished 2nd behind the Longhorns. I’m not recommending Stanford for the SEC because of the insane travel related issues, but they would have been a good choice for the B1G. BTW, my vote is to add Clemson and FSU. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

One last thought: The overall Clemson athletic program finished one place in front of Vandy this past year in the Director’s Cup. Throw out football and Vandy has a better overall program.

• Options
    JimmyBobJimmyBob Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

Bill - Great article. One small error: UNC isn’t a land grant school. NC State is the one in NC.

• Options
    BillKingBillKing Posts: 62 ✭✭ Sophomore
    edited July 2022

JimmyBob: Thanks. Yeah, UNC originally received that funding from the state legislature, but N.C. State became the land-grant university in North Carolina in the 1880s. I made it just the two oldest public universities.

• Options
    FishingDawgFishingDawg Posts: 37 ✭✭ Sophomore

I don't like what's happening to college football and I know that there isn't anything I can do to affect change, but as an American I can gripe and complain. The thing that I hate most is removing 'college' from college football. I like conferences and rivalries. Go UGA Dawgs! How can a kid be given/promised NIL money before he has played a down and earned some 'sponsor' money? Why can a kid leave before his junior season just because he doesn't want to develop an earn playing time?

If all a kid wants to do is play in the NFL, NBA, ..., go play in some type of minor league. For the majority of college athletes, a degree will pay bigger dividends and they may learn something about being a responsible adult while earning it.

Lastly, how are y'all going to like the Southern Eastern Conference being renamed with some b.s. title like 'Everyone Is Special Conference' or 'The Woke Conference'. If we can't keep the name, I like "We Don't Give A **** How You Do Things Up North And On The West Coast Conference'.

Still southern and proud!

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I can see USC and UCLA moving to the big 10 because of football, but most big 10 schools, especially the smaller, less competitive football schools will blow their whole budget traveling back and forth across the country to play the big 10 “west” schools. And clemson fans will find out how good a coach Dabo is this year with both coordinators gone. May want to hold off that SEC invite to them just yet.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Greed. Should have just expanded the CFB playoff to 8 and left everyone in place. If Clemson joins the SEC they will find it easier to.recruit the cream of GA (Sunshine Jesus and DW24). But this is not stopping until there are superconferences (2?).

• Options
    Seminole_DogSeminole_Dog Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

I am a Seminole Alumni & Booster whose been a Georgia fan as well. It appears for better or worse the Power - 2 conference era will soon be a reality. Clemson & Florida State are culturally best suited in the SEC. Both come with existing rivalries and opportunities to build new rivalries that would not require traveling across the country for away games. Both Florida State & Clemson come with 80,000+ seat on campus stadiums and top notch facilities. I would love to see Georgia vs Florida State playing each other in Athens and Tallahassee. I would note that FSU & Clemson voted against that 2036 GOR extension. Adding UNC & UVA would expand the SEC footprint, expanding into the D.C. market. From what I’ve heard ESPN would like to void the ACC contract by moving the “brand name” institutions from the ACC to the SEC. This would keep the B1G out of the South and keep these institutions in the ESPN portfolio. I know there has been some early back channel communication with the B1G & the SEC with Florida State University. I am curious how do the average UGA Bulldog fan feel about adding these ACC schools, especially the Seminoles of Florida State?

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm thinking we should bring back Georgia Tech and Tulane.

• Options
    RedPantsDawgRedPantsDawg Posts: 175 ✭✭✭ Junior

You don't get North Carolina in the SEC without Duke coming along.

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Pac 12, ACC, Big 12 - It could be called "Other"

• Options
    BillKingBillKing Posts: 62 ✭✭ Sophomore

Concerning reports that the SEC is happy with 16 teams and isn't considering expansion. Anyone who believes that hasn't really paid attention.