Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

JT Daniels may be ‘smartest QB we’ve ever had,’ says West Virginia coach

SystemSystem Posts: 10,422 admin
edited July 2022 in Article commenting
imageJT Daniels may be ‘smartest QB we’ve ever had,’ says West Virginia coach

Former UGA quarterback JT Daniels was showered by praise by his new coach at Tuesday’s Big 12 Media Days.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Couldn't agree more! Can't believe I'm saying this, but the Mountaineers will be second only to the Dawgs when it comes to my CFB-watching this fall. I can't wait to see both teams really succeed this year 🙂

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've always thought Daniels was potentially a "great" quarterback, with some of the worst luck and timing in NCAA history.

Unfortunately, he picked WV over Missouri. I think he and WV will regret that, unless they overhaul their offensive scheme. The WV offense is/was designed to be run by a mobile QB, much like UGA. They don't have a great offensive front to protect him or a great group of receivers. It's all gonna be on him. That's why they're worried about his health.

An article written by a Smoking Musket reporter (WV's Dawg Nation equivalent), back in May, identified Daniels'strengths and weakness using statistics and analytics from PFF and archived film. They seriously questioned his ability to run the WV offense due his playing style. Going back to his first year at USC, he's always been susceptible to pressure and sacks. His performance against pressure is significantly degraded. And they expect him to be under pressure a lot at WV, this year. That seems to be their standard from recent history.

If you care to read the article, it's not hard to find. Just type, "Smoking Musket JT Daniels" in your search engine. The article is titled "A Closer Look at West Virginia's JT Daniels". It one of the most in depth critiques of a QB I've ever read. Not a fluff piece and very interesting.

I can't figure out for the life of me, why he chose WV, when Coach Drink & Missouri seemed such a good fit for his pocket style. Especially with that 5-Star Freshman receiver (Luther Burden) that looked so good in Spring practice. JT could've lit up the scoreboard with that guy.

Good luck JT, we'll be pulling for you.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Undefeated as a UGA starter. I agree with the post below about having bad luck and timing. Maybe this year will be enough to show off his skill set and perhaps get drafted. As far as his mobility, in HS he ran for more yards than Bryce Young did. So, when healthy, while not a dual threat, certainly not a Matt Ryan either..

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wish things had turned out better for him at Georgia.

• Options
    pepinpepin Posts: 52 ✭✭ Sophomore
    1. Missouri runs the spread too.
    2. At Missouri he will play several top 15 defenses with great defensive fronts. Georgia and Kentucky obviously, plus potentially Auburn, Florida and Arkansas. Maybe even South Carolina and Tennesseee. At West Virginia he sees none of those.
    3. I still think that he should have gone to Notre Dame because ND has a good OL that can protect him and - Ohio State and Clemson aside - no dominant front 7s. But can't criticize his decision to choose Big 12 defenses over SEC ones.
  • Options

True, but, like UGA, they have the personnel to run out of any offense they want. WV...not so much. I definitely agree with ND. Just didn't realize they were a viable option. In any case, if I was in JT's shoes, WV wouldn't have been my 1st choice. Something doesn't add up there. LOL

• Options

On second thought...lack of coaching stability, may have been why he nixed ND. He's only got a year, two at the max, to do what he needs to do, to get to the NFL. I just don't see him getting the exposure he needs, at WV...much less put himself in the best position to succeed.

I hope I'm wrong. I'd really like to see him do his thing.

• Options

Comparing his mobility to Bryce Young isn't saying much. Young's wheels are flat, too. Young and Daniels are both pocket passers. Bennett had more rushing yards than both of those guys put together because...he's a mobile QB. Like Young last year, if Daniels is put in the right prostyle offense with talent at the WR position...he will be on the Heisman ballot. I doubt WV gives him that opportunity.

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 476 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

He may be the best QB West Virginia ever had! Good luck JT!

• Options
    pepinpepin Posts: 52 ✭✭ Sophomore

While Bryce Young is no Michael Vick or Josh Allen, Young can run plenty. He just chose not to last season in order to stay healthy. We are talking about a 6'0" 190 lb guy who had nothing on the depth chart behind him last year but a 4 star true freshman dual threat QB that Alabama badly wanted to redshirt. Alabama also didn't have a star RB like usual last year either. This year with more depth behind him at QB and Gibbs at RB, you may see Young scramble for first downs a lot more. Then again, as Young wants to enter the draft this season and rumor has it that he is the guy that the Seattle Seahawks want the most - which is why they didn't draft a QB this year or trade for Baker Mayfield - maybe not.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

. Young's wheels are flat, to

Young has flat wheels? I assume you mean he can't get out of his own way? Hardly, while he doesn't look to run, he shreds defenses when he has to. He runs like 4.4. But my overall point is still valid, JT doen't have to run or even look to run that's not his game, doesn't mean when completly healthy he's a statue, which I think was your point. Never compared him to SB. If you'v never seen JT 's HIs tape you ought to look at some. DUde bought time running around in the backfield all the time.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Mizzou would have been a more advantageous pick for JT, given his brief time to possibly earn a spot in the NFL. WVA not so much...that said...if he "produces" at WVA,... puts up some big numbers as we expect...the power of his name and skill should find favor in the League. I truly believe this. As someone already said...he would be a super coach. Go gettem JT. Stay healthy and we will be watching.

• Options
    HenddawgHenddawg Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Really hoping he can stay healthy and show out. A great QB and definitely a smart one. Wishing him best of luck

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah. I never bought the narrative that Daniels has no mobility. He's got a good amount of mobility for his style as a pocket passer, i.e. the ability to move around in a tight space and buy time. Of course, as has been noted, that seems to have been affected by his injuries.